Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Not publicly published but a long existing practice
Originally Posted by sfmaus
Original ticket must have been purchased on united.com within 30 days
Itinerary must be exact match, but different fare class is okay.
Fare difference must be >= $100.
$50 processing fee deducted and remainder issued as TCVA.
Multiple reports of success in 2019 including one in June and one in July, 2019 in which the $50 processing fee was charged separately and then an ETC issued for the gross fare difference.
Another recent case in this thread is late 2018.

A successful case of repricing and keeping a confirmed upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I've seen references to this policy before on this forum. For a while, they were requiring a $50 administrative fee. I'm not sure I've seen it documented, though.

After the expiration of the 30 days, your original plan would have worked (although, note that you would have been required to pay the change fee in "new money" rather than subtracting it from the voucher amount).
yes, I even used the 30 day policy once -
maybe a year or so ago. A PITA to get the agent to do it, but I think it eventually worked.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The ability to do this is coded into the fare rules - however you should be charged the change fee (normally $300)

--
B. BOOKING CODE CHANGE PERMITTED
--
WHEN A FARE IS INTRODUCED INTO THE MARKET
OR A CURRENT FARE IS REDUCED OR BOOKING CODE
BECOMES AVAILABLE / THE TICKETED PASSENGER MAY
QUALIFY FOR ONE OF THE ABOVE OPTIONS
ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW AIR FARE MUST BE MET
BEFORE DEPARTURE
--
NO CHANGE TO ORIGIN/DESTINATION/DATES/FLIGHTS
--- ONLY BOOKING CODE CHANGE IS PERMITTED---
--
AN ADMINISTRATIVE FEE EQUAL TO CHANGE FEE
WILL BE ASSESSED
RESIDUAL VALUE /IF ANY / WILL BE RETURNED IN
THE FORM OF A NON-REFUNDABLE VOUCHER VALID FOR
TRAVEL ON UNITED AIRLINE
If the original ticket was refundable, the text is slightly different :

AN ADMINISTRATIVE FEE EQUAL TO CHANGE FEE
WILL BE ASSESSED.
RESIDUAL VALUE / IF ANY / WILL BE
RETURNED TO THE ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT.
The 30 day thing has certainly been discussed here before, and whilst it may be a policy, it's not one written into either the fare rules or the CoC.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I've used that policy many times. Yes there is a fee but they can (or at least used to) waive it if you ask nicely.

This was the link to that thread (which seems to be deleted/consolidated). There seem to be a lot of broken links these days...

Found new link.

Last edited by sexykitten7; Jul 11, 2018 at 11:09 pm Reason: Added new link
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by drewguy
If one considers airline tickets to be the same as physical commodities such as a refrigerator or microwave. But it's clear they're not - the "product" one is buying is different at different times because time, supply, demand, etc. all changes. The purchase of an airline ticket is more like purchasing insurance or a stock option - the cost/value may vary over time and you can't get the old or new price because you're not buying the same product (compare - you typically can't get the same price on life insurance after a heart attack as you could before).
Exactly correct!
Supply and demand determines the price. Only a few days ago, I was booking a last-minute flight (within 3 days of travel) and decided to fare-lock it because I still didn't have confirmation of the business meeting. When I went back to book it only 8 hours later, I was amazed to see the fare had gone from around $800- to around 2K! I was really glad that I had bought the fare-lock at that point.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Exactly correct!
Supply and demand determines the price. Only a few days ago, I was booking a last-minute flight (within 3 days of travel) and decided to fare-lock it because I still didn't have confirmation of the business meeting. When I went back to book it only 8 hours later, I was amazed to see the fare had gone from around $800- to around 2K! I was really glad that I had bought the fare-lock at that point.
I've never seen a farelock available for purchase within 3 days of a flight. Didn't know they offered that.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by lindaiah
I've never seen a farelock available for purchase within 3 days of a flight. Didn't know they offered that.
I'd never seen one that close-in before either. I would've normally just booked it and used the 24 hour cancel feature. I don't know if it makes any difference, but it was a E-fare, and it was booked slightly outside the 36 (I meant 72) hour window.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 12, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Originally Posted by lindaiah
I'd never seen one that close-in before either. I would've normally just booked it and used the 24 hour cancel feature. I don't know if it makes any difference, but it was a E-fare, and it was booked slightly outside the 36 hour window.
You can not farelock a fare beyond the point of the fare rules. But if a fare has zero advance purchase requirements, then it is open for farelock anytime -- however the fare bucket inventory may go away without the farelock.
EmailKid and lindaiah like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Just did a re-price. UA CSR could not duplicate rate found on United.com. She had to call rate desk to construct this rate. ETC issued shortly after re-price.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
So I have an itinerary to SIN booked in V at ~$1,500 booked back in July, but now K became available at ~$800. Change fee is $120. The thing is that I have already upgraded SFO-SIN portion with miles+copay. Is there any way I can reprice this while keeping the upgrade? Or I will lose my upgrade if I reprice it? PZ=0 right now on that flight.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by gusd
So I have an itinerary to SIN booked in V at ~$1,500 booked back in July, but now K became available at ~$800. Change fee is $120. The thing is that I have already upgraded SFO-SIN portion with miles+copay. Is there any way I can reprice this while keeping the upgrade? Or I will lose my upgrade if I reprice it? PZ=0 right now on that flight.
You will lose the upgrade as the ticket has to be re-issued. You then have to hope the upgrade inventory you just gave up goes back into the upgrade bucket. Chances of that are slim. Also, it's not clear how you upgraded. "K" fares are not eligible for GPUs but your "V" fare is.

-RM
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You will lose the upgrade as the ticket has to be re-issued. You then have to hope the upgrade inventory you just gave up goes back into the upgrade bucket. Chances of that are slim. Also, it's not clear how you upgraded. "K" fares are not eligible for GPUs but your "V" fare is.

-RM
Thanks, RobOnLI. As I mentioned above, I used miles+copay for the upgrade.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
do you all remember the days when fare drops could always result in a full voucher for the difference?

here on FT, we would report about calling and hoping for an experienced agent who would essentially double book us while refaring the ticket. It would take a while, but it would always work.

I had had so many, SO many printed vouchers for $138, $61, $2.50! We would walk them to the city ticket office where they would be combined. The agent would write each amount down and add them up.

These were also the days when international changes were free, so long as the new ticket were $1 more.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:45 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70

do you all remember the days when fare drops could always result in a full voucher for the difference?

here on FT, we would report about calling and hoping for an experienced agent who would essentially double book us while refaring the ticket. It would take a while, but it would always work.

I had had so many, SO many printed vouchers for $138, $61, $2.50! We would walk them to the city ticket office where they would be combined. The agent would write each amount down and add them up.

These were also the days when international changes were free, so long as the new ticket were $1 more.

STOP! You're making me sad over here.

...But could you book the tix on United Connection?!?!?!?

All this, plus I remember booking cheaper tickets on Northwest or CO, taking them to the 'real' UA (not UA Express, as it is now) counter at my small airport, and having them reissue them as UA tickets.

I remember lots of other things that were indeed 'flyer friendly' that have gone by the wayside.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gusd
If on UA metal they can keep the UG intact. Takes a bit of finagling, but I have gotten it done before. Make sure the agent understands that before making any changes. The problems arise when you have upgraded segments on airline partners ... those don't survive ticket re-issues.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
If on UA metal they can keep the UG intact. Takes a bit of finagling, but I have gotten it done before. Make sure the agent understands that before making any changes. The problems arise when you have upgraded segments on airline partners ... those don't survive ticket re-issues.
Thanks. Yes, it's all UA. I'm kind of worried they will mess it up and end up losing the upgrade. How about if I just reprice the return, and leave the outbound intact? Would that still imply the possibility of losing the upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.