Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ouch - Freddie Awards diss UA pretty badly

Old May 1, 15, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC

Just saw the results email and UA got killed in every category they were in. Of course this isn't a controlled survey but UA has liked to tout such awards in the past. Doubt we'll see any PR on this one.
Old May 1, 15, 10:03 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by pdx1M View Post
Just saw the results email and UA got killed in every category they were in. Of course this isn't a controlled survey but UA has liked to tout such awards in the past. Doubt we'll see any PR on this one.
I would be curious how UA ranked in each category. Given that MP is the biggest program by far, with the most elites, their loss is more striking as they have a built in advantage.

Here are the winners BTB: http://freddieawards.com/2015-annual...e-awards-27th/
Old May 1, 15, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
SOP since the merger

MP is now just an Ok loyalty program - not the worst of course, but far from the best
Old May 1, 15, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
I would be curious how UA ranked in each category. Given that MP is the biggest program by far, with the most elites, their loss is more striking as they have a built in advantage.

Here are the winners BTB: http://freddieawards.com/2015-annual...e-awards-27th/
The complete results pdf is here: http://boardingarea.com/freddies/201...die_Awards.pdf

UA is very low across the board.
Old May 1, 15, 10:13 am

The complete results pdf is here: http://boardingarea.com/freddies/201...die_Awards.pdf

thanks for posting, given how much bigger MP is and the well recognized propensity for people to vote for a program they are in, if they don't hate it, the results for MileagePlus (can we now call it "MileageMinus" ) are telling. Hell they got beat by SkyPesos in every single category. They even got beaten by SkyPesos on redemptions.
Old May 1, 15, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
For Best Customer Service / Americas, UA MP came out second to dead last -- and the last-place finisher was an airline that doesn't even exist any longer: AirTran.
Old May 1, 15, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Marriott best hotel awards program, with Hyatt mid-pack?

I can't take these results seriously.
Old May 1, 15, 10:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Hyatt is by far the best program of anything.. As far as UA, I honestly think UA will take notice.
Old May 1, 15, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Marriott best hotel awards program, with Hyatt mid-pack?

I can't take these results seriously.
the freddies are by number of votes, with some effort to rank intensity of support (see this not exactly clear description: http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/...e.php?key=9243 of the methodology) where people list more than one.

A program with lots of members (who after all are members and must see some benefit in being members) have a leg up. They can loose that leg up if people vote for three and rank the program worst. Marriott and Hyatt benefit from this (see the total number of votes they get). United though is the biggest program by membership (or so UA claims) yet it got far fewer votes than smaller programs, and did poorly in the intensity rankings. This says not only are people not voting for UA, those ranking programs are placing UA lower on the totem poll.

I do wish they had a better way of voting, by asking for e.g. a NPS for each carrier's program when a vote is received. That would help remove the "its the program I know" so I vote for it, problem.
Old May 1, 15, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
the freddies are by number of votes, with some effort to rank intensity of support (see this not exactly clear description: http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/...e.php?key=9243 of the methodology) where people list more than one.
I'm fairly sure they control for that...otherwise size would always dictate the winners.

Gary always posts each year that he's surprised Marriott continues to do so well, despite arguably having the weakest benefits of any chain. Maybe they have Stockholm Syndrome, who knows.
Old May 1, 15, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Doubt we'll see any PR on this one.
Not the case at AA where their press release is already out:
American Airlines AAdvantage Wins Fourth Consecutive Program Of The Year Award At The 2015 Freddie Awards
Old May 1, 15, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well the methodology is obviously deeply flawed, because Marriott objectively sucks, while Hyatt's the best loyalty program in any category. Southwest's #2 ranking and AS's poor showing are likewise indicative of a flawed methodology.

I think UA did worse than it deserved solely on the merits of the program. Yes, we've seen too many cuts to MP, but it's still no worse than a mid-pack program.

But AA clearly deserves the win.
Old May 1, 15, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shockingly low, I might imagine...a few years ago, even when UA stopped winning, I don't remember them being this far down.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K View Post
Hyatt is by far the best program of anything.. As far as UA, I honestly think UA will take notice.
Really? Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more - planes are full (taking out ASM helps), financially they're not as strong as DAL/AAL but they're OK (given the economy), they've slightly improved the soft product so they're not as such a deficit vs. DL/AA, etc.

They chug along with an OK product, mired in mediocrity, at the bottom of quality/reputation rankings - I don't think they (by design) want anything better than that.
Old May 1, 15, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Gary always posts each year that he's surprised Marriott continues to do so well, despite arguably having the weakest benefits of any chain. Maybe they have Stockholm Syndrome, who knows.
I've been generally pleased with the way I'm treated as Gold, its better than the equivalent in Hilton or SPG.
Old May 1, 15, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Most of people have been too depressed to vote for UA after experiencing the non-stopping "enhancements" to the MP program in the past few years. The results speak for the reality that people are feeling about MP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: