Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ouch - Freddie Awards diss UA pretty badly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ouch - Freddie Awards diss UA pretty badly

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by entropy
I've been generally pleased with the way I'm treated as Gold, its better than the equivalent in Hilton or SPG.
Of course - but Gold at Marriott takes 50 nights, vs. 25 at SPG

And 50 nights only makes you second tier at Marriott, vs. top tier in other programs
Old May 1, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well the methodology is obviously deeply flawed, because Marriott objectively sucks, while Hyatt's the best loyalty program in any category. Southwest's #2 ranking and AS's poor showing are likewise indicative of a flawed methodology.

I think UA did worse than it deserved solely on the merits of the program. Yes, we've seen too many cuts to MP, but it's still no worse than a mid-pack program.

But AA clearly deserves the win.
Try redeeming TATL saver awards on AA metal vs UA metal. Huge difference in availability in my experience, and not only that, AA availability has gotten much worse in the last year, unless you want to fly BA and pay $1000+ per ticket.

AA has fallen off big time in that one area and that's the one that counts the most for me...

Originally Posted by spin88
the freddies are by number of votes, with some effort to rank intensity of support (see this not exactly clear description: http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/...e.php?key=9243 of the methodology) where people list more than one.

A program with lots of members (who after all are members and must see some benefit in being members) have a leg up. They can loose that leg up if people vote for three and rank the program worst. Marriott and Hyatt benefit from this (see the total number of votes they get). United though is the biggest program by membership (or so UA claims) yet it got far fewer votes than smaller programs, and did poorly in the intensity rankings. This says not only are people not voting for UA, those ranking programs are placing UA lower on the totem poll.

I do wish they had a better way of voting, by asking for e.g. a NPS for each carrier's program when a vote is received. That would help remove the "its the program I know" so I vote for it, problem.
Can people vote more than once? It's not clear to me from the description.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Try redeeming TATL saver awards on AA metal vs UA metal. Huge difference in availability in my experience, and not only that, AA availability has gotten much worse in the last year, unless you want to fly BA and pay $1000+ per ticket.
There's a separate award for best redemption ability and it was won by Southwest. I've always had very good experiences redeeming UA miles myself, but Southwest must have had a lot of support to take the win over UA.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
As far as UA, I honestly think UA will take notice.
Originally Posted by phospho
I agree
United has had horrible NPS scores since Jeff started his reign of "savvy" "changes you will like." And they simply doubled down on their current course. There are (just in the last month or so, making me think they are finally waking up in a panic, I can speculate based upon the PRASM guidance they lost a bunch of elite traffic with the 2015 MP changes) some changes recently that are on balance more good than bad, but there is a long track record of this pmCO management thinking that they are on the right course, despite abysmal results in every poll and in DOT data.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm fairly sure they control for that...otherwise size would always dictate the winners.

Gary always posts each year that he's surprised Marriott continues to do so well, despite arguably having the weakest benefits of any chain. Maybe they have Stockholm Syndrome, who knows.
I would love it if someone can find something with some more insight into the results, but having filled out the ballot, and read what I posted, it appears the methodology strongly favors bigger programs, if (and a big if) those programs can get their members to vote for them. They could control for program size, but I don't know where they would the 411 on membership in each program, or how to normalize it for activity in the program. I just don't see the data collected in the ballot being other than a "can I get my members to vote for me" AA (and DL) could , UA could not. AS (smaller) is just screwed.

Well the methodology is obviously deeply flawed, because Marriott objectively sucks, while Hyatt's the best loyalty program in any category. Southwest's #2 ranking and AS's poor showing are likewise indicative of a flawed methodology.

I think UA did worse than it deserved solely on the merits of the program. Yes, we've seen too many cuts to MP, but it's still no worse than a mid-pack program.

But AA clearly deserves the win.
I expect that these results reflect not just the "program" but the overall feel of the airline experience. United's poor product/service rubs off on MP.

I also think directionally where a program is going probably is more important (since this is getting people to vote for you), and UA is directionally getting much worse, while DL is getting better (note I did not say "much" ). Its not like people are compairing skypesos to mileageminus, they are saying of MP: "well I no longer get upgraded due to DOTs, I am getting fewer miles with this spending stuff, its harder to get reward seats than before, and premium *A rewards are now outrageous in price, and I no longer get the special service I used to get, [and for silver] I don't even get E+ " On DL they are saying "DL is opening up more saver seats, and availability is up, I get a CPU periodically (no TODs), [DMs] I get usable SWUs now, not the old crappy ones and skyclub assess, and the service is better."

While You may feel MP is still a better program, IMHO the feelings about where the programs are going explains a lot.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Most of people have been too depressed to vote for UA after experiencing the non-stopping "enhancements" to the MP program in the past few years. The results speak for the reality that people are feeling about MP.
+1.

and P.S. this "reality" impacted me. I have not used my skypeso number since 1999, my DL flying went into my AS account. But I started using my SkyPeso account again in January, and just made gold. So I am putting my miles where my mouth is.

Last edited by spin88; May 1, 2015 at 1:08 pm Reason: adding ps.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IMO, AA deserves the win for its mileage earning scheme alone.

Originally Posted by spin88
IMHO the feelings about where the programs are going explains a lot.
Agree. Hard to be objective about MP these days when all they do is take away. There's probably also an anticipation component to the poor showing ("what will they take away next?").
Old May 1, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Again, I honestly think, a birdie has told me, that things will change for the program. That's all I'm saying.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Again, I honestly think, a birdie has told me, that things will change for the program. That's all I'm saying.
Well as a Lifetime 1K who avoids UA whenever possible these days I really hope you are right. I fully accept that airlines have to relate service and benefits across the board to profitability but I think it is pretty easy to argue that UA has gone way too far toward the bottom even if you are not an anti-UA crusader here. I'd like nothing more than to feel that UA service and benefits were the equal of its competitors.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
While there are indeed issues with the methodology, some of the players do not have an adequate footprint to be relevant.

Sure, Hyatt has a better loyalty program than Marriott, but Hyatt's problem is there aren't enough Hyatts around. As a more extreme example, Sonesta or Melia may have better perks, but if they don't exist where you need them, it doesn't matter.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Normally I'd say "that's great!" - except that it's been all cuts, and only GS getting added benefits at the expense of all the other mileage levels.

But of course would love to be proven wrong...will believe it when I see it!
Old May 1, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Well the annual switch-fly reward availability survey will come out in a few days (its usually released in first to second week in May) and my guess is DL does yet better than last year, United does worse. AA will also likely do worse.

Will DL surpass UA as Jeff turns MileagePlus into "NonePass"?

Cumulatively the changes have all been anti-consumer, and often times anti-HVFer, and even the recent moves to fix the food have been sort of half assed. Going to some wide-bodies (in 2016-7) involves a really tight configuration, and its now clear that United will go with 10 across in E+ on their 773s, and 772 domestic birds. It is just hard for me to see any real changes from this bunch. The changes will happen when fuel spikes, traffic gets scarcer than it already is for UA, and they start to run in the red, and Jeff gets fired.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
There's a separate award for best redemption ability and it was won by Southwest. I've always had very good experiences redeeming UA miles myself, but Southwest must have had a lot of support to take the win over UA.
Not really a surprise, is it? WN has a rather cult-like following in my opinion that still believes their fares are always the lowest, that the new seats are just fine, and that the ability to redeem premium-cabin awards to the ends of the Earth is irrelevant. I weaned my SO off WN last year and she's rather pleased with United now that she's 1K and can fly DEN-NYC in FC instead of WN cattle-class.

I really don't get this. To me there's no comparison between the two airlines out of Denver...UA wins hands down. I guess the occasional travelers who really don't think about international travel or premium cabins love WN for those areas where it does shine...no bag fees and the lack of change fees (but give me free SDC anytime over the WN policy of having to upfare).
Old May 1, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't get this. To me there's no comparison between the two airlines out of Denver...UA wins hands down. I guess the occasional travelers who really don't think about international travel or premium cabins love WN for those areas where it does shine...no bag fees and the lack of change fees.
Or maybe those who don't love 50 seat RJs (or RJs at all)?
Old May 1, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or maybe those who don't love 50 seat RJs (or RJs at all)?
I'll take the A-side of a 145 any day over any seat on WN (or UA mainline coach for that matter). The 200s? Not so much
Old May 1, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll take the A-side of a 145 any day over any seat on WN (or UA mainline coach for that matter). The 200s? Not so much
All OT - but given the MX/delay rates on UX, the lack of all creature comforts, EWR Terminal A, no Wifi...we'll agree to disagree
Old May 1, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All OT - but given the MX/delay rates on UX, the lack of all creature comforts, EWR Terminal A, no Wifi...we'll agree to disagree
Fair enough, although things have been better for me lately (fingers crossed).

Back OT...wonder what the answer to my question is about whether folks can vote more than once. Can you vote once for each loyalty program that you belong to? IOW, can someone do a complete vote as a MP and as an AAdvantage member?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.