Why Not Android for your new releases?

Old Apr 30, 15, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Why Not Android for your new releases?

I'd love to give you some feedback for new releases but they are always Apple only. I am an Android and PC guy. I don't own any Apple devices and I'm not starting now. I get that you can release to Apple devices for a small sampling but you can can beta test with a smaller group of Android users too.

Starbucks is similarly frustrating by only introducing their new pre-ordering to Apple products.

Why?????? You can do both very easily.
Old Apr 30, 15, 12:54 pm

I think the reason that United and other companies develop and release Apple apps first is due to the limited amount of devices to support. The Apple OS is only available to iPhones, iPads, iPods and I guess now the watch. There are probably 4 or 5 versions of each device.

With Andriod, there are thousands of different devices from many different makers (Samsung, Motorola, LG, HTC, etc) running the Android OS.

In the beginning, it's probably easier to develop and troubleshoot an app that reaches an extremely wide audience but is only on a few different devices. They probably put all their resources into the Apple app to make sure that it works properly and then take those lessons and work on an Android release later. The fact that they can't get their website to work properly, doesn't give me hope that they can launch new apps for two operating systems simultaneously.

Last edited by scottpenderson; Apr 30, 15 at 12:57 pm Reason: Added extra sentence
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA DULtArer
Apple users have more money.
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
I'd love to give you some feedback for new releases but they are always Apple only. I am an Android and PC guy. I don't own any Apple devices and I'm not starting now. I get that you can release to Apple devices for a small sampling but you can can beta test with a smaller group of Android users too.

Starbucks is similarly frustrating by only introducing their new pre-ordering to Apple products.

Why?????? You can do both very easily.
While that was an issue with the initial PDE release, recent App release have been on both platforms with a day or two. The uber update, the GoGo update, ....

The Apple Watch is an obvious exception for obvious reasons.
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: El Al, US Airways, United
This may sound like a generalization, but numerous studies but shown that Apple iPhone users visit e-Commerce sites more often, have higher income, and make larger purchases from their phones.

Nationally in the United States, Android/iPhone is perhaps a 55/40 split. But among United's elites, I suspect it is quite strongly skewed iPhone.
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
I'd also love to see support for Android Wear devices; I love my Asus ZenWatch, and getting various flight updates on the watch would be most useful!
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
Apple users have more money.
Snobbery is not (or should not be) the correct answer.

I understand elitism and it's necessary in certain situations but not this one. I'm not poor and I fly a lot. But I am a PC and Android guy, and I'm excluded from new stuff because they choose to focus on products used by less than half of their customers.
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Also an Android guy here...Wife works at Google and is of course an Android gal.
Also a decent UA customer in terms of spend.

Of course they need to develop both platforms, but they should strive for feature parity.
Since they are "all about wearables" now...they should also support Android Wear, which has been out for almost a year now.
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:34 pm

I understand elitism and it's necessary in certain situations but not this one. I'm not poor and I fly a lot. But I am a PC and Android guy, and I'm excluded from new stuff because they choose to focus on products used by less than half of their customers.
Do you have data to support that the Apple devices are used by less than half their customers?
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

How do you know it's used by less than half of their customers? I presume the reason they do Apple first is because they have actual data that there are more Apple users of their apps.

That or it's cost prohibitive or much complicated to develop for Android as rapidly.
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
...But I am a PC and Android guy, and I'm excluded from new stuff because they choose to focus on products used by less than half of their customers.
What (other than the joint product announcement with Apple Watch) app / android enhancement have you missed out of in the past 6 months? I'm having trouble to see the present issue here. Seems much to ado about nothing.
Old Apr 30, 15, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100

From http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/06/0...nership-2013/:

Cell phone owners from a wide range of educational and household income groupings have similar levels of Android adoption, but those from the upper end of the income and education spectrum are much more likely than those with lower income and educational levels to say they own an iPhone. Indeed, fully half—49%—of cell owners with a household income of $150,000 or more say their phone is an iPhone.
I'm also a strict Android user, and I didn't interpret that as elitism at all; more a statement of fact. Furthermore, it makes way more sense to demo new features on iOS first, since you don't have to do nearly as much hardware-specific testing.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
What (other than the joint product announcement with Apple Watch) app / android enhancement have you missed out of in the past 6 months? I'm having trouble to see the present issue here. Seems much to ado about nothing.
IIRC, PDE might have been later on Android, but I don't remember since I rarely use PDE.
Old Apr 30, 15, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley View Post
... IIRC, PDE might have been later on Android, but I don't remember since I rarely use PDE.
Yes the intial PDE was released later on Andriod but since then the two apps have been moving in lock step. The latest PDE enhancement (GoGo based) was released together. Are we just reliving the past?

BTW in 1Q2015 iPhones did out sell Android in the USA but worldwide the market share is lopsidedly Android (except Japan). For the record, I'm an Android phone user and I don't feel left behind.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 15 at 2:41 pm Reason: I'm an Andriod user
Old Apr 30, 15, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JC1120 View Post
Do you have data to support that the Apple devices are used by less than half their customers?
I have no data. Other than what's generally known that Android is used by more than half of the smart phone user population. If I'm wrong and Apple users account for more than half of United app users then so be it...I'll admit to being wrong. But I doubt I am wrong.
Old Apr 30, 15, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: El Al, US Airways, United
I have no data. Other than what's generally known that Android is used by more than half of the smart phone user population. If I'm wrong and Apple users account for more than half of United app users then so be it...I'll admit to being wrong. But I doubt I am wrong.
gigaom.com/2015/02/04/android-and-ios-are-nearly-tied-for-u-s-smartphone-market-share/

These are new sales, not existing installed base (which I believe is closer to 55/40 in the United States)

However, these stats are national, of all income brackets. Once you limit that to the flying public or just FF elites, there's no reason to expect the same 55/40 split to hold.

Something else I found on the internet (but cannot locate the original source) :

Neilsen reports that 40% of iOS users have incomes above 100K versus only 25% of Android users, while double the percentage of Android users have incomes below 25K in the USA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: