Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Not Android for your new releases?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
One thing to remember is that most Fortune 500 companies are deploying iPhones to replace BBs. Where I work, a Fortune 100 company, all company issued phones are now iPhones, and all managers are issued an iPad in addition to the laptops. When I go to meetings, it's mostly iPads in the conference rooms now rather than laptops.

From an airline or hotel's perspective, they would and should cater to the business travelers, which in today's world generally means iOS platform.

And forget Android as our corporate issued device. It simply doesn't pass the security test. Furthermore, no corporations concerned about protecting its intellectual property and business secrets would conduct its business using Google's services.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Why?????? You can do both very easily.
Longer development and testing cycles on Android than iOS.

With minor features/updates there's enough time due to other factors to release at the same time for both platforms, but with anything major it's going to be faster to get the iOS release out the door.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:55 pm

Lot's of Android phones, lots of Android phone manufactures and lots of Android OSs. When you write an app for iPhone it is easy to target a majority of iPhone users. Not true for Android. No use updating the app until a critical mass of Android users are using a phone and OS which you can write an update for which can support all the features you want to update.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Plainly untrue

Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
One thing to remember is that most Fortune 500 companies are deploying iPhones to replace BBs. Where I work, a Fortune 100 company, all company issued phones are now iPhones, and all managers are issued an iPad in addition to the laptops. When I go to meetings, it's mostly iPads in the conference rooms now rather than laptops.

From an airline or hotel's perspective, they would and should cater to the business travelers, which in today's world generally means iOS platform.

And forget Android as our corporate issued device. It simply doesn't pass the security test. Furthermore, no corporations concerned about protecting its intellectual property and business secrets would conduct its business using Google's services.
This is just nonsense. My fortune 100 company gives us the choice of Android or iOS. Both come with restrictions on use. As someone who works in a technical function, I recognize that all tech choices carry risks. In the Android vs. iOS debate, those risks are roughly equal.

I'm not sure where the concern over security comes from, but do you honestly think that Good has better security resources than Google? Apple?

I'm an iOS user but one would have to be in La-La land to imagine that Apple is better situated for protecting IP than Google. It's just not true.

And even if it were, what does that have to do with airlines' choice for development?
Old May 1, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I help my sales staff get new devices. Most request iphones or ipads. I've been able to convince most of them on gettting surface pro 3's to replace the ipad.

As far as mobile device, we get less complaints from iphone users than Android users.

We have no standard, its basically what you want. I have an ipad mini, iphone 6, s6 and a surface pro. The surface pro is replacing ipads quickly.

But again, iphone users, use apps more often. It's proven data, especially in the US.
Old May 2, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
I know we are going way off topic here...but this is just 100% false.

BTW, the US Army and State dept. uses Google for Work (Google Apps)
https://www.google.com/intx/en_us/work/customers.html
Old May 2, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by embarcadero1
I'm not sure where the concern over security comes from, but do you honestly think that Good has better security resources than Google? Apple?
It's more a question of priorities than resources.
Old May 2, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
g
Originally Posted by mduell
It's more a question of priorities than resources.
I'm not sure I follow you. A breach would destroy Google's reputation the same way it would Good's.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by embarcadero1
I'm not sure I follow you. A breach would destroy Google's reputation the same way it would Good's.
"The Fappening" is a good example of resources vs priorities. Apple certainly had the resources to prevent the hack, but doing so was not a priority until after many accounts were compromised and revealing photos released. Apple put their resources into releasing new products/features rather than securing against obvious threats.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:46 am

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
After all the comments around these parts someone finally got it right. ^

Originally Posted by SwisherTown
Lot's of Android phones, lots of Android phone manufactures and lots of Android OSs.

When you write an app for iPhone it is easy to target a majority of iPhone users. Not true for Android. No use updating the app until a critical mass of Android users are using a phone and OS which you can write an update for which can support all the features you want to update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.