Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA refusing cash -- legality?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by irenem
In DEN, when I went to check in my bag, the United rep told me they do not accept cash. I had to buy a prepaid credit card, paying $5 extra as a cash machine (which she pointed out to me).

Is this legal? Cash is supposed to be legal tender. Says so right on the notes.
Why didn't you use a CC or your own ATM card? If you don't have either then I suggest you get them. It's not just UA, its the entire world that is moving inexorably toward a cashless society.

To answer the question directly, yes its legal.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Can anyone comment on those cash to debit card conversion machines? I saw the $5 fee.
I used the one at the UA counter at MCO. There was no fee. You put in cash, and it gives you a Visa debit card with the same face value. Well, at least I didn't see anything about any fee. I'll have to check the balance on mine to confirm there was no fee.

Do the cards ever expire?
The one I got expired in about 18 months.

Is there a monthly fee?
No

Are the cards only good for UA purchases?
No. It's a Visa debit card, good wherever Visa is accepted (perhaps only domestically). So, if you owe UA an odd amount, or you don't have the exact amount in cash that you need (say, you owe $5 but only have a $20), then you can spend the remainder of the money elsewhere.

Also know in CA there are laws which prohibit expiration.
That law applies to gift cards, which this is not. This card is a bank product and is a pre-paid Visa card. It's not a UA gift card. UA has nothing to do with the issuance or maintenance of the card, other than that they allowed/convinced the bank to put the kiosk at the airport ticket counter.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Reminds me of when I was a kid. I once sent away for a product in a catalogue. I put $.52 (two quarters and two pennies) in the envelope and sent it off.

4-6 weeks later, my goods came join the mail.

Is this done anymore?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:54 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by irenem
In DEN, when I went to check in my bag, the United rep told me they do not accept cash. I had to buy a prepaid credit card, paying $5 extra as a cash machine (which she pointed out to me).

Is this legal? Cash is supposed to be legal tender. Says so right on the notes.
Fwiw, United launched this at IAH in January, 2012 and then continued the roll out to all domestic hubs. As to the $5.00 "fee", I'll let others chime in on that

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/pr...t-lobbies.aspx
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by DEN
If (or when) US Airlines starting charging credit card fees (like many EU Airlines) what options will we have then?
Pay with a debit card?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by zrs70
Reminds me of when I was a kid. I once sent away for a product in a catalogue. I put $.52 (two quarters and two pennies) in the envelope and sent it off.

4-6 weeks later, my goods came join the mail.

Is this done anymore?
I think people used to pay for stuff like that by sending postage stamps to the company!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
I should get a job as UA gate agent. I could collect the cash and swipe my AMEX PRG or Citi Prestige card on the customer's behalf. Certainly, I'm not the only one on this board to have thought of "lending" my credit card for a good cause!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Easy solution. Give cash to someone and ask that person to charge equal amount to his/her credit card. Problem solved.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Easy solution. Give cash to someone and ask that person to charge equal amount to his/her credit card. Problem solved.
I'd take that deal all day, every day

I think the OP should spend an hour or two in the Manufactured Spend forum to learn about the wonderful world on the other side of the rainbow that was created by these various debit cards if you're into earning miles.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Steve M
... Do the cards ever expire? ...
... The one I got expired in about 18 months. ...
A little more complex then that, per Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
If my prepaid card expires, do I lose my money?
If you have a prepaid debit card and the card expires while you still have money on it, you can request a replacement card to access the funds.

The funds on a gift card will be good for at least five years, even if the physical card expires at an earlier time. If your card expires and there are unspent funds on it that have not expired, the issuer may give you a replacement card or give you the money by another means, such as a check. Either way, they may not charge you a fee.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I've located my card. The expiration date was actually 27 months after the purchase date (although as WineCountryUA stated, the funds are valid for 5 years if you get a replacement card). I've confirmed that there were no purchase fees, and no monthly fees. The entire original purchase amount remains available on my card. In case you're wondering, I bought it just to see how it works - I had no immediate need for it as I travel with a credit card.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i actually view cashless as a good thing after working on the digitalization of retail banks. there's a few reasons when we talk broader than just the immediate time of transaction. businesses can report their information more accurately since card transactions post in real time, whereas cash needs to be tallied up in batch at the end of a flight, end of the day, etc. cash also forces businesses to include a loss buffer. someone mentioned theft, organizations this large who deal with cash often include a 10-15% loss buffer to account for this, they just assume someone's stealing. lastly, it's safer. now in a brick and mortar store, they run the risk of getting held up and robbed at gunpoint. i would say the likelihood of that happening mid-flight or at an airport terminal isn't likely. but remember, when you pay cash, it physically has to be transported somewhere. to a central processing center. a bank. you know all those brinks security armored trucks driving around? that's what they do. and there's a good reason why they're so heavily protected. digital transactions does away with it.

currently it does inconvenience a small proportion of the population, and statistics on mobile and online bank adoption actually show that this group gets smaller every year. imo the benefits at the aggregate level are definitely worth it.
10% of the population cannot get a bank account, and roughly 20% cannot qualify for a credit card for various reasons, e.g. credit issues, convicted of a crime, etc. This group cannot shrink unless the banks/CC companies change their standards.

Of course, most of these people are existing near the poverty line, so this requirement from UA would primarily adversely impact the poor, who are very likely not represented here on FT.

As to the question of safety, the number one item targeted for theft now are iPhones, because, no matter what Apple says, any smart phone/computer can be hacked and thus, they are very valuable on the black market. Yet, no one here has argued that the inherent risk in having a smart phone means that we shouldn't carry them.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/09/iph...eft-in-the-uk/

Japan is primarily a cash society and it gets along just fine.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 28, 2015 at 11:48 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Until the house burns down and you want your 50 million in Japanese yen notes replaced.

? Then it is possible to use the debit cards obtained at the kiosk for united.com purchases?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 28, 2015 at 11:52 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Then it is possible to use the debit cards obtained at the kiosk for united.com purchases?
Any place a Visa debt/credit card is accepted. (a couple of issues can arise -- such as rental cars -- the card hold can exceed the card limits)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Until the house burns down and you want your 50 million in Japanese yen notes replaced.
It seems that Japanese are pretty clever about protecting their money.
They have found tons of safes (mostly fireproof), etc. after the earthquake and tsunami several years ago. See here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_847243.html

Since this story many years ago, I had read that the total amount recovered had ballooned to around US 500 million, with around US 350 million being returned to the original owners (the rest went to the government because Japanese generally give-up their "finders rights" when they turn in the money).

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 28, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.