Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Any recent experience with IAD-HNL catering in F?
You will probably find 2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service is a better place to look.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
DEN-OGG KOA-DEN Report

I just did this set of flights on United, in first class. While not the Polaris seats, the 777 outbound and 757 return were nice and were lie-flat. The 757 seemed a little inferior to the 777, but not by much. Fewer movie choices on the 757. Flight Attendants were having a hard time getting the system to reboot, but finally did before take-off.

I had searched before the flight and there were reports of lobster mac-n-cheese for lunch on the outbound. Actual: Chicken, pretzel roll, small salad. Very frozen cookies-and-cream ice cream for dessert.
Actual food on the return flight: BBQ Beef. No salad. A single Ghirardelli square for dessert. Overall, less than impressive.

On the outbound, the entertainment system had an option for "from the flight deck" (aka Channel 9). But, no ATC chatter could be heard on this channel on take-off. I asked the flight attendant, who asked me to remind her about an hour before landing as the pilot said he would turn it on. I reminded her at 1 hour out, she talked to the pilot, he said he turned it on, but again, nothing on approach into OGG. Return flight from KOA, Channel 9 / "from the flight deck" not even an option on the entertainment system. I didn't bother to ask. I have always enjoyed Channel 9, but it seems harder and harder to find a flight where it is available. It seems to me that United had this wonderful feature that separated them from other airlines, but has opted to throw it away for the most part.

First class, non-stop wasn't cheap, but it does beat flying coach. Southwest's entry into the Hawaii market is interesting, but 6-7 hours in either United Coach or Southwest Coach does not sound like fun. Further, with Southwest, its more than 7 hours as they do not currently have a non-stop -- must go through OAK. Perhaps one day, when the 737 MAX issues are worked out. But it still will be coach. Coach is ok for a couple of hours, but not 6-7.

United did sock me with a $225 change fee to get a reduced price on the tickets after I bought them. With the change fee, I saved a net $333. Southwest of course would not do that -- price goes down and you at least get a TTF refund.

Interesting fact: The 757 from KOA to DEN was going on to EWR. So, those sweet lie-flat seats are available domestically if you can figure out which flight they are going to use that 757 on. From my searching, it appears that after a few DEN-KOA-DEN flights, they then move the plane back east to do some TATL flights.

If one was open to coach, Southwest is about 60,000 points round trip where as United is 45,000 points. However, with companion pass, Southwest can be 60,000 for two people. So, about the points you would earn by opening one credit card. However, for first class it is about 170,000 miles per person.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I just noticed that my IAD-HNL flight on Saturday is showing true Polaris seats - nice!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mander
I just noticed that my IAD-HNL flight on Saturday is showing true Polaris seats - nice!
Got that once on a SFO to KOA flight with "equipment change" . Upgrade cleared and flight was only half full. Very nice indeed, I was (almost) bummed when we landed.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Tits, HH Diamond, Hertz Plat
United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect?

Mainly asking if anyone's flown into HNL lately (or back), from IAH? We're leaving Friday, and wondered what sort of food/bev to expect in the front? Wife is nervous they may not be serving mai tais now since the COVID cuts. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You will get a hot breakfast with two entree choices after takeoff, followed by (I think) a snack box or small snack pack (similar to the ones currently served in coach) prior to arrival. I think mai tais are still on offer, but if not, your wife can get far better ones upon arrival in HNL several hours later.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Tits, HH Diamond, Hertz Plat
Thanks! We've been there before on this same route, but was just wondering what/if anything has changed recently. Agree the drinks on the island are waaayyyy better (LOL), but in the air, beggars can't be choosers... group of 8 of us in the front so everyone wants to make sure we're enjoying it!
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by littlejt1
Thanks! We've been there before on this same route, but was just wondering what/if anything has changed recently. Agree the drinks on the island are waaayyyy better (LOL), but in the air, beggars can't be choosers... group of 8 of us in the front so everyone wants to make sure we're enjoying it!
even if they have mai tais they will probably only board 2-4 of them. Not joking.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
even if they have mai tais they will probably only board 2-4 of them. Not joking.
Flew first class 6 weeks ago from sfo. asked for a mai tai and was told they are not serving them due to covid? I believe they were pre mixed in a sealed bottle where they added a wedge of pineapple. Pretty sorry event. They were decent in the past. I think the hawaii flites were the only one that served them.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlejt1
Mainly asking if anyone's flown into HNL lately (or back), from IAH? We're leaving Friday, and wondered what sort of food/bev to expect in the front? Wife is nervous they may not be serving mai tais now since the COVID cuts. Any insight would be appreciated.
There's a report of the HNL-IAH flight in the
2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33058342-post185.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33074069-post190.html

The catering, especially beverage, is inconsistent systemwide -- sometimes there are just two of something, sometimes more, sometimes none -- so maybe worth thinking of backup drink options if that is important.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:57 pm

There may or may not be mai tais depending on catering. It varies from day to day. If they are onboard, there likely won't be more than two in the beverage cart. The skewers of pineapple and cherries that go in the mai tais have been discontinued as have lemons and limes.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Just flew ORD-HNL and HNL-ORD in F.

Both planes had true Polaris seats, which were nice.

HNL-ORD service sucked. The meal sucked. Everything about that flight except the seat sucked.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I no longer expect a full meal service between Hawaii and Houston with a big ahi steak as one of the entree choices followed by a big ice cream sundae prepared seat side from a cart by a smiling FA. Oh wait - that was Continental back in the day.

I wish UA would contract with the Harris County jail to cater the Hawaii flight - the food would be more substantial, and better - it has to be.

One used to expect a good seat, a good (and substantial) meal, and good service up front. Now it's just the seat. Now the sole meal is no more substantial than the pre-arrival snack on CO.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 4, 2021 at 9:02 am
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I no longer expect a full meal service between Hawaii and Houston with a big ahi steak as one of the entree choices followed by a big ice cream sundae prepared seat side from a cart by a smiling FA. Oh wait - that was Continental back in the day.

I wish UA would contract with the Harris County jail to cater the Hawaii flight - the food would be more substantial, and better - it has to be.

One used to expect a good seat, a good (and substantial) meal, and good service up front. Now it's just the seat. Now the sole meal is no more substantial than the pre-arrival snack on CO.
I don't know if you're still comparing to CO from back in the day in your last paragraph, but I've had the same mediocre, small meal on Hawaii long-haul flights for the past several years, including the longest Hawaii flight in the network (EWR-HNL). Salad, two or three entree choices served in the same small casseroles as domestic F (or gulp, Polaris), and "entry-level" sundaes that come with one or two topping choices (similar to non-PS transcons, unlike the full Polaris/PS sundae cart). The current setup isn't much different, except in lieu of entry-level sundae I got a prepackaged cookie last week. Hardly enough food for an 11-hour flight.

By comparison, AA offers/offered a separate plated appetizer, three entree choices served in larger, proper dishes, and a choice of proper sundae or cheese plate for dessert.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkc192
I don't know if you're still comparing to CO from back in the day in your last paragraph, but I've had the same mediocre, small meal on Hawaii long-haul flights for the past several years, including the longest Hawaii flight in the network (EWR-HNL).
Yup. EWR-HNL was notorious for inadequate meal offerings. Food has generally pretty bad on SFO-HNL for the last several years as well, but a much shorter flight, so less consequential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.