Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:43 pm

ORD-HNL r/t in April 2020

Greetings,

My wife and I are going on a long delayed trip to HNL in April 2020, using award travel which we have been saving miles for years to do.

Some questions:
1) Are we best off booking one-way tix, to ensure we can get in first the days we want (since return will be 10-11 days after departure)?
2) Seating-in looking at a seating chart on UA for March 2020 flights, it looks like some rows face backwards. Am I correct that the < points the direction you are facing (aka 2AB face forward, 3AB backwards)?

If there are any recent pictures, tips, etc, that would help would be greatly appreciated.... I've seen various 777 FC pictures, but not sure what is current for the ORD-HNL r/t.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by kcoulter
Greetings,

My wife and I are going on a long delayed trip to HNL in April 2020, using award travel which we have been saving miles for years to do.

Some questions:
1) Are we best off booking one-way tix, to ensure we can get in first the days we want (since return will be 10-11 days after departure)?
2) Seating-in looking at a seating chart on UA for March 2020 flights, it looks like some rows face backwards. Am I correct that the < points the direction you are facing (aka 2AB face forward, 3AB backwards)?

If there are any recent pictures, tips, etc, that would help would be greatly appreciated.... I've seen various 777 FC pictures, but not sure what is current for the ORD-HNL r/t.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
I usually book awards as one-ways (as I hardly ever make use of the excursionist perk).
That route is currently flown with the 772 v4, which yes, has some rear-facing lay-flat seats: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...efault.aspx#v4
The rear facing seats aren't as bad as it may sound, except maybe 3B and 3K where the economy passengers are likely to stare at you (through the curtain).
These are some of the oldest 777 planes in the fleet with some dating back to 1995.

Added: since your travel is that far into the future, it may well be that this plane's configuration won't be the one that you actually fly on. There's a lot of changes going on right now with retrofitting older 777-200 with the new Polaris seats.

Last edited by narvik; Apr 28, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:23 pm

Greetings,

Some questions:

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
1) Will let others comment here as I’m not sure if there are any restrictions against combining multiple fare buckets on a MP ticket? Saver inventory in United First dried up more than 5 years ago so be prepared to pay 95K miles r/t per traveler, plus UA is soon going to dynamic pricing so could potentially get much worse. But where else can you fly 9 hours from O’Hare nonstop in the dead of winter to a place that’s like Paradise on earth? Keep in mind that UA also flies ORD-OGG (Kahului, Maui) nonstop on certain days in case it’s relevant. Paid United First YYZ-ORD-HNL can run very low (like not too much more than $1,000 r/t), which has been known to be a drag on ORD-HNL United First inventory whether paid or MP.

2) You are correct. It’s the pre-merger UA long haul config on the Boeing 777. Economy is pretty awful with 10 seats across. No premium economy to my knowledge. It’s a high density config. As a couple, little downside if you book the side in United First as in 2AB. 2A has to crawl over 2B if 2B is sleeping. Even though those seats face the next row, the divider is pretty high so you’re not staring at the next row - a little bit diagonally but it’s not weird. There’s no better UA config between O’Hare and Hawaii. Some people call these seats ‘coffins’ but they’re darn good for those of us that are 6’3”.

3) Enjoy your onboard Mai Tai!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Some questions:
1) Are we best off booking one-way tix, to ensure we can get in first the days we want (since return will be 10-11 days after departure)? ...
Not to sound pessimist but first class ORD-HNL awards are difficult to find. Even with a lot of flexibility on travel dates. Mid-week might be a touch easier.

Another issue is the award system has changed for flights starting Nov 15, 2019. COnsequences of the changes are still being digested
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ore-chart.html

....2) Seating-in looking at a seating chart on UA for March 2020 flights, it looks like some rows face backwards. Am I correct that the < points the direction you are facing (aka 2AB face forward, 3AB backwards)? ...
The 2-4-2 772s have lie-flat seat in first. It is the older generation of lie-flat and there are no announced plans to retrofit these aircraft, If you get lucky and find space, book the part of window seats on either side.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...e.htmlOpinions are mixed on the backwards facing seats. So like them since you head is slightly higher when in the lie-flat position but does mean you may be looking at a passenger cross the aisle -- did bother me, does bother others. Same with the some forward facing seats. This one of the reasons for the new version of lie-flats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 28, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The 2-4-2 772s have lie-flat seat in first. It is the older generation of lie-flat and there are no announced plans to retrofit these aircraft,
Makes one wonder if they maybe consider them NOT worth retrofitting due to their age? Most are from 1995 and 1996 with the rest being 2000 vintage.
What's the life-expectancy for UA for the 777-200? 30 years?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
I usually book awards as one-ways
As a 1K, this is the way to go. However, for passengers without status, it gets very expensive if you need to make changes or cancel, since the fees apply per ticket.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Makes one wonder if they maybe consider them NOT worth retrofitting due to their age? Most are from 1995 and 1996 with the rest being 2000 vintage.
Thise 772s were recently refurbished (2016) with the lie-flats (hand me downs from the Polaris retrofits), they had been recliners.
UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet
Many of the A320s and 752 are even older.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:03 pm

Was wondering too. When UA introduced flatbeds (~15 years ago?), Hawaii flights were relegated to the old huge recliners (7 across in the Trip Sev) with the 155 degree recline - (did not dislike those...) Now that there’s Polaris, Hawaii is the old flatbeds. I’m wondering if O’Hare-Hawaii is a strategic ‘graveyard’ of otherwise retired configs? So I’m ORD based. LHR & FRA run $5-15K upfront r/t. HNL & OGG rarely more than $2,500 and it’s just as far as EU on same machine.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Not necessary.

Remember - 1 ticket = 1 change fee when needed. So 2 tickets mean 2 change fee.

Yes.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thise 772s were recently refurbished (2016) with the lie-flats (hand me downs from the Polaris retrofits), they had been recliners.
Oh, THAT'S how they came about? I wondered what happened to the recliner versions.
Cheers.

Originally Posted by Kacee
As a 1K, this is the way to go. However, for passengers without status, it gets very expensive if you need to make changes or cancel, since the fees apply per ticket.
Aye, good point.
I completely forgot that -as a 1K- we do still have SOME good benefits!
Old May 1, 2019, 6:33 pm

thank you

Thanks for the responses. I should be able to get a seat as long as they aren't sold as I have a chase MP card.

On the change fees, if it came to that - I've got trip insurance, so I'm not concerned.

I am aware that aircraft equipment and configs can change....its the nature of the beast...

Thanks again!
Kevin
Old May 1, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Was wondering too. When UA introduced flatbeds (~15 years ago?), Hawaii flights were relegated to the old huge recliners (7 across in the Trip Sev) with the 155 degree recline - (did not dislike those...) Now that there’s Polaris, Hawaii is the old flatbeds. I’m wondering if O’Hare-Hawaii is a strategic ‘graveyard’ of otherwise retired configs? So I’m ORD based. LHR & FRA run $5-15K upfront r/t. HNL & OGG rarely more than $2,500 and it’s just as far as EU on same machine.
It was that way even in the 90s - they ran the 747-100s with super dense configs on ORD-HNL - packs em even tighter than the 772 today - first was closer to regular domestic first pitch

https://frequentlyflying.boardingare...-747-100-1998/

Here's video of what it was like in the 70s when it was 'new.' Cute (but not decadent) meal service and man that's tight for a 10 hour flight in first.

Milwaukee likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
It was that way even in the 90s - they ran the 747-100s with super dense configs on ORD-HNL - packs em even tighter than the 772 today - first was closer to regular domestic first pitch

https://frequentlyflying.boardingare...-747-100-1998/

Here's video of what it was like in the 70s when it was 'new.' Cute (but not decadent) meal service and man that's tight for a 10 hour flight in first.

https://youtu.be/VBUatj4gTvk?t=2319
I was thinking more about how much room they had in Economy back then -- and how much more food they served in both classes. I guess I still revert to my memories of flying coach on the old 747s which is why I'm not bothered as much by the cuts to Business/First class as by the continued smashing together of seats in Economy.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:51 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I remember "connoisseur class" on the 747 in the nose of the aircraft with a very difficult to operate barcalounger seat from when I was a kid on UA1/2 ORD <> HNL. I remember the donuts in the RCC even more fondly though.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Any recent experience with IAD-HNL catering in F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.