Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:51 am

UA from EWR to Kona, Hawaii (KOA) Business Class - Aircraft and Seats Options

Hello all,

I was hoping someone who has flown UA from EWR to KOA could opine on the seats and aircraft options for business class. I am currently looking to connect through DEN (EWR-DEN-KOA) with the first leg being a Boeing 737-800 and second leg Boeing 757-200. The first leg it seems that these are not lie flat seats? Second leg it looks like its UA's Polaris product so should be fine there. On the return flight through LAX (KOA-LAX-EWR), the first leg is on Boeing 757-300 and second leg is Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner. The first leg seems to have pretty terrible reviews, while the second leg will be the newest plane on the fleet with the Polaris product.

I've also read that the meal / food service is quite limited. Also, given what seems to be one average business class leg and one good one, is it worth the 60k miles through Singapore Airlines versus 35k in economy? Thank you!

Last edited by SantiC; Oct 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SantiC
Hello all,

I was hoping someone who has flown UA from EWR to KOA could opine on the seats and aircraft options for business class. I am currently looking to connect through DEN (EWR-DEN-KOA) with the first leg being a Boeing 737-800 and second leg Boeing 757-200. The first leg it seems that these are not lie flat seats? Second leg it looks like its UA's Polaris product so should be fine there. On the return flight through LAX (KOA-LAX-EWR), the first leg is on Boeing 757-300 and second leg is Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner. The first leg seems to have pretty terrible reviews, while the second leg will be the newest plane on the fleet with the Polaris product.

I've also read that the meal / food service is quite limited. Also, given what seems to be one average business class leg and one good one, is it worth the 60k miles through Singapore Airlines versus 35k in economy? Thank you!
738 EWR-DEN is regular domestic non-flat F seats. DEN-KOA is the old CO BusinessFirst lie-flat seats (neither Polaris seats or service, and no lounge access). The seats are fine and it's a day flight so not really a big deal. Meals to/from Hawaii on in any front-cabin seat are just the regular domestic F meals with a cookie/muffin tossed in just before arrival. If you're not a glutton, the food will carry you there. 60K for that distance and combination of a/c isn't that bad a deal.

I'd prefer r.t. EWR-HNL non-stop in F and then HNL-KOA on Hawaiian in coach vs your routing but that's just me..

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 22, 2018 at 12:30 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Hello all,

Your 1st leg on the 737-800 is standard domestic first class and not lie flat. The DEN-KOA is on the 757-200 and does have lie flat. That said (and not to get too pedantic) the 757-200 is NOT a Polaris seat. It is a lie flat but is the (very) old configuration. You will get a Saks pillow and blanket, but everything else (including meal) is standard domestic First Class.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
You will get a Saks pillow and blanket
On DEN-KOA? You sure about that?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. We take that trip 4-5x a year and since they went to lie flat we have gotten the shrink wrapped package with the pillow and blanket. Get it both ways despite the westbound flight being a day flight.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
To answer original question - as of 2018, from SFO<->OGG, UA offers the same crappy F seats that you find on other domestic flights. Nice and wide but limited recline and no aisle access for window seats. The meal qualify ranges from good to marginal. IMO it is not worth a huge premium but would gladly use an RPU (my over/under for TOD is $175 or so).

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
To be fair, the awful behavior is not limited to UA to/from Hawaii. Even on Hawaiian Airlines, where they actually have had to stoop to small signs at the bulkhead warning not to put your bare feet on the bulkhead, people just ignore it and still do it.
100% correct. See this all the time, but of course very frequently on routes to Mexico and Hawaii where people wear flip flops. Disgusting but not highest on my list of passenger complaints.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The lie-flats to/from Hawaii (incl. West Coast) have been reliably catered w/ the Saks pillow and duvet last couple of months - day flights, too. The same planes w/i contiguous U.S. (on non-p.s. routes) are not. Flew a 777 HNL-LAX last month and got pillow/duvet. Same plane continued to IAH w/ just the thin blue blanket.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 23, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Going lax - lih several times every year
expect nothing but uncomfortable 737 fc seat !
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Yes, flights both ways between DEN and HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH are receiving the Saks pillow and blanket. Here's the link to my post about the DEN-OGG flight in June: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29821603-post805.html
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
If you pick the right LAX-LIH flight, you get a 752. Example from 04/27/18:

And you could get paid $300 by some guy for the seat, as my daughter was offered and agreed to. (I kept my seat in front, though.)

David
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by DELee
If you pick the right LAX-LIH flight, you get a 752. Example from 04/27/18:
David
This is definitely the exception. The normal bird is the 737-800 with the uncomfortable seats described above.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
I am currently looking to connect through DEN (EWR-DEN-KOA) with the first leg being a Boeing 737-800 and second leg Boeing 757-200.
Don't do this. Please, for your sake, spend the money and take the nonstop from EWR to HNL on the 767. Lie flat all the way. Hawaiian music and mai tai's all the way. From HNL you can connect to a 40 minute flight on a Hawaiian Airlines 717 to KOA. You can get award seats on Hawaiian on the UA website for 15K round trip. The paid seats are very cheap too.

Enjoy your trip - KOA is my favorite place to go!

Aloha,

A.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
This is definitely the exception. The normal bird is the 737-800 with the uncomfortable seats described above.
I guess. A search for today with UA's fabulous Timetable tool doing a LAX-LIH search shows a SFO-LIH (!) 752:

Anyway, there are 752s into LIH. Yes most of the west coast flights into the islands are on 738s and 739s. That doesn't mean I'm going to pick those birds if I can avoid it.

David
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
I was on this flight two weeks ago and can confirm Saks bedding was on the outbound and inbound.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
I guess. A search for today with UA's fabulous Timetable tool doing a LAX-LIH search shows a SFO-LIH (!) 752:
UA switches back and forth between 738 and 752 on SFO-LIH, not sure whether there's any rhyme or reason to it. (I don't think they assign 739s to LIH due to the short runway.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.