Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I'm not that tall so I opted for row 1 for my wife and I to get our meal choice and put my son and girlfriend who are both very tall in row 2.
I think that's reasonable. The bulkhead in F is always a YMMV situation. The distance to the wall is basically always greater than the distance to the next seat in a normal F row, but if you are accustomed to putting your legs underneath the seat in front of you, you may find the legroom restricted. However, you have substantially more room at head level, as no one is reclining into you. It is also substantially easier to get up from the bulkhead window than from any other window.

On the other hand, overhead space is restricted as the Row 1 bins are often used for emergency equipment and are otherwise too shallow for a normal rollaboard.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
On the Hawaii routes there are a higher percentage of hicks who will insist on placing their feet half way up the bulkhead.
It's not just the hicks. Ex-West Coast, you will also get the self-entitled yogis who view not only the bulkhead wall but also your seatback and even your armrest as convenient yoga props (i.e., footrests).

Had this happen (bare feet on my armrest) just last week. Still mildly traumatized.
mgold9 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Had this happen (bare feet on my armrest) just last week. Still mildly traumatized.
Ewwww. I've seen this happen and have to look the other way. It is crazy that people think this is OK. I've almost said something about it (even though it wasn't directly affecting me).
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

On the Hawaii routes there are a higher percentage of hicks who will insist on placing their feet half way up the bulkhead.

To be fair, the awful behavior is not limited to UA to/from Hawaii. Even on Hawaiian Airlines, where they actually have had to stoop to small signs at the bulkhead warning not to put your bare feet on the bulkhead, people just ignore it and still do it.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not just the hicks. Ex-West Coast, you will also get the self-entitled yogis who view not only the bulkhead wall but also your seatback and even your armrest as convenient yoga props (i.e., footrests).

Gross. I had this happen once a couple of years ago. I "accidentally" spilled a little of my hot tea during a little turbulence on the arm rest/feet. Stopped the behavior pretty fast
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by hookthem
I would seriously reconsider your choice of bulkhead. The legroom is greatly diminished and it sucks not having access to your small bag during the flight. The overhead bin is also slightly smaller and the crew might already have their bags stowed there. The food is not great regardless of what option you get.

As always, YMMV.
And my wife and I always prefer the F bulkhead on 737s, so no one reclining into us. As you said, YMMV.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
HNL (from EWR, IAD, ORD, IAH) Service in F Questions

Hi Folks,
I fly enough to know the general stuff, but when I did this flight a few years ago, despite being 9hr+ and on lay flats, they did not have blankets or pillows, and only had one small breakfast service at the beginning of the flight. Is that this the case, or do they now have blankets etc ?. It’s tomorrow, so I am trying to decide if I bring my own.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reason: moved to relavent thread
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
By blankets and pillows...

Are you referring to the ones given out in TPAC/TATL "Polaris" classes?

Or are you referring to the small blue thin 'sheet' that UA calls a blanket and its accompanying pillow?

Or are you wondering if you get either?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:54 pm

Our flight is on the 767-300. Last time it was the 767-400. Hard product more or less the same. On our last trip, we did not get any pillows or blankets, not even the little skimpy one. That’s why I am asking about it again. Anyone know. What’s the point of offering a bed, but not a pillow or blanket

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
By blankets and pillows...

Are you referring to the ones given out in TPAC/TATL "Polaris" classes?

Or are you referring to the small blue thin 'sheet' that UA calls a blanket and its accompanying pillow?

Or are you wondering if you get either?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Our flight is on the 767-300. Last time it was the 767-400. Hard product more or less the same. On our last trip, we did not get any pillows or blankets, not even the little skimpy one. That’s why I am asking about it again. Anyone know. What’s the point of offering a bed, but not a pillow or blanket
I think pillows and blankets are back. You’re right they were gone for a bit randomly a few years ago.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:06 pm

Maybe Mr. Pillows is the culprit?
airb330 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Hi Folks,
I fly enough to know the general stuff, but when I did this flight a few years ago, despite being 9hr+ and on lay flats, they did not have blankets or pillows, and only had one small breakfast service at the beginning of the flight. Is that this the case, or do they now have blankets etc ?. It’s tomorrow, so I am trying to decide if I bring my own.
Flew EWR-HNL last month. Got Polaris pillow and duvet. Typical F breakfast provided and snack before arrival.
airb330 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:50 pm

Thanks folks
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?

Flew EWR-HNL last month. Got Polaris pillow and duvet. Typical F breakfast provided and snack before arrival.
I hope the meal service is better then the LAX-HNL we flew in F about 10 days ago (737 if it matters). For lunch they served something called "chicken" but it didn't look or taste like any chicken I've seen/tasted before. Took one bite...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Phil Level
...For lunch they served something called "chicken" but it didn't look or taste like any chicken I've seen/tasted before...
Probably the dry chicken breast piece/nugget from Kirby's Dwarf Chicken Farm. If you "took one bite", you were pretty close to eating the whole thing...

The EWR flight gets breakfast, which I think UA does slightly better than lunch.
TexasAggie02 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.