Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:53 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Good thoughts everyone. Thx!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I'm flying EWR -> HNL in paid first in December on a Boeing 767-400ER in paid first, by myself. Any suggestions for the best seats? Would I be best off with a middle seat with no one next to me or grab a window seat but have to sit next to someone?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
DEN-LAX-ITO what to expect in F?

Flying to Hilo and wondering what the entertainment and food experience will be DEN-LAX 737-900 & LAX-ITO 737-800
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Flying to Hilo and wondering what the entertainment and food experience will be DEN-LAX 737-900 & LAX-ITO 737-800
IFE for the overwater portion will be PDE and 6 movies on the DirecTV system -- however no "live TV" outside of CONUS

Food will be standard West Coast to Hawaii domestic F food
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Last few weeks, choices from LAX to Hawaii have been beef or three cheese pasta with beets. I’ve been choosing the chicken sandwich from the back. Ice cream or sorbet followed by a cookie before landing. Really nothing special on these flights so set the expectations low.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by slippahs

Last few weeks, choices from LAX to Hawaii have been beef or three cheese pasta with beets. I’ve been choosing the chicken sandwich from the back. Ice cream or sorbet followed by a cookie before landing. Really nothing special on these flights so set the expectations low.
Last week on LAX-OGG they called it beef, but it was lamb.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by donotblink
I'm flying EWR -> HNL in paid first in December on a Boeing 767-400ER in paid first, by myself. Any suggestions for the best seats? Would I be best off with a middle seat with no one next to me or grab a window seat but have to sit next to someone?
Definitely middle seat. If you're tall, try to get row 1, as it has a larger footwell.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:30 pm

On 737-800. Which row is better? Bulkhead 1, or Last row 4? Wanted to order Japanese as special meal but unavailable on the drop down. Any idea what the gluten free option would be?

Last edited by EXPLAT; Jun 21, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
On 737-800. Which row is better? Bulkhead 1, or Last row 4? Wanted to order Japanese as special meal but unavailable on the drop down. Any idea what the gluten free option would be?
On 737-800, last row of F doesn't recline quite fully, and bulkhead can be uncomfortable if you're tall, as you can't stretch your legs out under the seat in front of you. So this is totally a matter of which matters more to you: seat recline or leg stretching. (Dunno about food.)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
On 737-800. Which row is better? Bulkhead 1, or Last row 4? ...
Better is a subjective measure
Bulkhead no one is reclining into you but no storage space at your feet

For more, see Where to Sit on a United 737-800?

Wanted to order Japanese as special meal but unavailable on the drop down. Any idea what the gluten free option would be?
Long discussion of special meals options in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On 737-800. Which row is better? Bulkhead 1, or Last row 4?
Better for what? Legroom? Recline? Distance from lavs and galley? Underseat and overhead storage?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On 737-800. Which row is better? Bulkhead 1, or Last row 4?
Row 4 IMHO, for a variety of reasons. Bulkhead restricts legroom and there’s no underseat storage. On the Hawaii routes there are a higher percentage of hicks who will insist on placing their feet half way up the bulkhead.

The caveat is you may not get choice of meal in row 4 if not 1K or GS, although the FAs will (usually) let you opt from something off the BoB cart.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:23 pm

I'm not that tall so I opted for row 1 for my wife and I to get our meal choice and put my son and girlfriend who are both very tall in row 2.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: 1K
I'm not that tall so I opted for row 1 for my wife and I to get our meal choice and put my son and girlfriend who are both very tall in row 2.
I would seriously reconsider your choice of bulkhead. The legroom is greatly diminished and it sucks not having access to your small bag during the flight. The overhead bin is also slightly smaller and the crew might already have their bags stowed there. The food is not great regardless of what option you get.

As always, YMMV.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by hookthem
I would seriously reconsider your choice of bulkhead. The legroom is greatly diminished and it sucks not having access to your small bag during the flight. The overhead bin is also slightly smaller and the crew might already have their bags stowed there. The food is not great regardless of what option you get.

As always, YMMV.
Thanks for the heads up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.