Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PACLipper
I am looking at Delta One for this Christmas. Service is widely inconsistent on this route.
If you can get the DL 330, that's a better hard product than anything UA flies to Hawaii. Service on DL to Hawaii is equally inconsistent as UA IMO. These are routes that draw the more senior crews, and some of them are just phoning it in (both airlines).
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Flew that IAD/HNL route a couple of weeks ago. Grimmest Polaris yet but did have lie lie flat and movies. Food bad, snacks not passed. Am in HNL United Club waitingfor return. Eat elsewhere. Bowls of liquidy chicken salad and egg salad sitting on melted ice. Picked over cheese cubes. Salad. Ate a roll.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I flew DEN-HNL in paid F on Dec 22 and the meal was either pizza (as shown above) or a burger, tropical fruit cup, and cheesecake. They did at least plate everything and the seat was lie-flat but the experience really wasn't worth the price differential from Y.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
They did at least plate everything and the seat was lie-flat but the experience really wasn't worth the price differential from Y.
That's the DEN catering problem.

With domestic F these days, 95% of what you're paying for is the seat. If they serve something edible, that's a bonus.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by welltended
Flew that IAD/HNL route a couple of weeks ago. Grimmest Polaris yet but did have lie lie flat and movies...
IAD-HNL is not marketed as Polaris. It’s domestic First with a lie-flat seat and a nice duvet/pillow.

it shows as First during the booking process and it says First on your ticket. Looks like you assumed you were in Polaris. When you fly Polaris, you’ll actually see “Polaris” on your ticket.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 27, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's the DEN catering problem.

With domestic F these days, 95% of what you're paying for is the seat. If they serve something edible, that's a bonus.
Yeah, I know it's the DEN catering issue, just reinforcing the point that he probably doesn't want to go via DEN. I'm heading back home in a few weeks and chose to book through LAX instead of DEN on the way out to avoid the DEN catering. I really dislike LAX but the DEN catering issue really turned me off. The mediocre teriyaki chicken and rice they used to serve in Y 15 years ago was better (IMO) than that burger.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:43 pm

On Easter Sunday 1985, my wife and I flew from DEN to HNL on a UA DC-10 in coach.

There was a large tropical flower arrangement on a lip extending out of the bulkhead in coach below where they pulled down the screen. All of the FA's were in special Hawaii uniforms.

There was a choice of three very good entrees in coach shortly after takeoff. There was a buffet set up near the rear galley. There was a second snack (I want to say hoagies) about an hour before landing. Every single FA was polite and attentive. The seat pitch in Y then was approximately what first class is today.

It costs UA no more to have polite crews. The $350 OW fare then = $799 now (checked a cost of living calculator). Just did a scan of one-way prices for next Sunday (same day of the week) and they averaged $1,210. Obviously, that is a higher yield (with more seats compressed into each cubic yard) than in 1985.

So, I am having a hard time understanding all of the rationalizing for why UA has let its mainland to Hawaii service go to hell.

Last edited by KansasMike; Jan 28, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by KansasMike
On Easter Sunday 1985, my wife and I flew from DEN to HNL on a UA DC-10 in coach.

There was a large tropical flower arrangement on a lip extending out of the bulkhead in coach below where they pulled down the screen. All of the FA's were in special Hawaii uniforms.

There was a choice of three very good entrees in coach shortly after takeoff. There was a buffet set up near the rear galley. There was a second snack (I want to say hoagies) about an hour before landing. Every single FA was polite and attentive. The seat pitch in Y then was approximately what first class is today.

It costs UA no more to have polite crews. The $350 OW fare then = $799 now (checked a cost of living calculator). Just did a scan of one-way prices for next Sunday (same day of the week) and they averaged $1,210. Obviously, that is a higher yield (with more seats compressed into each cubic yard) than in 1985. So, I am having a hard time understanding all of the rationalizing for why UA has let its mainland to Hawaii service to to hell.
unions and fuel costs
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:53 pm

That's not correct either. According to https://inflationdata.com/Inflation/...ices_Table.asp a barrel of oil in 1985 cost $61.26 in today's dollars. Friday's close for West Texas crude was $66.15bbl.

Flight attendants made more in real dollars and much more in inflation-adjusted dollars than today.

Neither are explanations. Again, with seats crammed together, the yield per flight is much higher than it was in 1985.

Originally Posted by jp12687
unions and fuel costs

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2018 at 9:43 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

So, I am having a hard time understanding all of the rationalizing for why UA has let its mainland to Hawaii service go to hell.
Perhaps because the flights often go completely full with 7+ years of record tourism in Hawaii.

I can often be 20 or more on the first class waitlist HNL-SFO as a 1K - in the "good old days" even gold always got a upgrade - I fly the route - or near weekly and the planes are full. UA domestically Hawaii/Mainland dominates the Hawaii market including Hawaiian Airlines
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Perhaps because the flights often go completely full with 7+ years of record tourism in Hawaii.

I can often be 20 or more on the first class waitlist HNL-SFO as a 1K - in the "good old days" even gold always got a upgrade - I fly the route - or near weekly and the planes are full. UA domestically Hawaii/Mainland dominates the Hawaii market including Hawaiian Airlines
Agreed. West coast to OGG or KOA are the most difficult flights for me to clear as a GS, even with instruments applied 2+ weeks in advance. SFO-KOA was the first upgrade I didn't clear in several years. The days of upgrades to Hawaii being easy are long gone. Note that I fly west coast to LHR often on peak days, and have never not cleared that route.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:23 am

In 1990 from IAH-HNL the 747 had a chef. By 1999 they were serving cava instead of French champagne with lower quality food. Today - forget it.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by jgsx

Agreed. West coast to OGG or KOA are the most difficult flights for me to clear as a GS, even with instruments applied 2+ weeks in advance. SFO-KOA was the first upgrade I didn't clear in several years. The days of upgrades to Hawaii being easy are long gone. Note that I fly west coast to LHR often on peak days, and have never not cleared that route.

Used to clear my OGG flights all the time. Now I buy first if I want to make sure I get it.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:06 pm

Completely full flights from the mainland to Hawaii is good news for United. It also explains why it is tough to get upgrades.

But, I will state -- again -- that this does not explain the incredible deterioration in the quality of United's soft product in coach and first class. If anything, completely full flights is a counter- explanation.

Of course, it is United's decision how it wishes to run its business. What is so surprising to me is the amount of rationalization pertaining to United slapping its customers in the face.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It costs UA no more to have polite crews. The $350 OW fare then = $799 now (checked a cost of living calculator). Just did a scan of one-way prices for next Sunday (same day of the week) and they averaged $1,210. Obviously, that is a higher yield (with more seats compressed into each cubic yard) than in 1985.
Very unfair comparison unless your trip was similarly booked one-way only with very little advance notice. You can fly DEN-HNL in F for about $1,000 each way (probably less if I tried harder, or $599 if you want YYZ-DEN-HNL), or Y for $375 of today's dollars ($325 for Basic Economy), on a half-round-trip basis. While the quality of service and product in Y has declined precipitously in the last 30 years, so have prices. People vote with their wallet, and they apparently want to be strapped into a sardine can and sneered at if it saves them a hundred bucks.
artvandalay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.