Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Fares earning post March 2015 - some fares 75/50/0% - post March 2018 now 100% PQM

LH Fares earning post March 2015 - some fares 75/50/0% - post March 2018 now 100% PQM

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 26, 18, 3:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 9, 16, 12:47 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
K-class on LH does not earn any UA miles. Fly LX if you want to protect your earnings.

Keep in mind, if you're shooting for UA status, you need at least 4 UA-metal segments.
I guess I will switch to TK for my flights to Seoul - was considering LX but they do not fly to Seoul and all flights with LH are K fares...

I hope TK flights do not have these problems...
Old Jan 9, 16, 2:47 pm

No miles for Lufthansa flight?

So I'm looking at flights on united.com, and I noticed that the economy flights operated by lufthansa are not earning any MileagePlus miles. Is this a glitch or have they changed something recently because I remember earning ua miles from other star alliance carriers.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 9, 16, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by bnurkhai View Post
So I'm looking at flights on united.com, and I noticed that the economy flights operated by lufthansa are not earning any MileagePlus miles. Is this a glitch or have they changed something recently because I remember earning ua miles from other star alliance carriers.
The issue is the fare class (K) on Lufthansa.

You can check earnings for any partner on United's website:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...ePartners.aspx

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 9, 16 at 2:56 pm Reason: cleanup after move
Old Jan 9, 16, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bnurkhai View Post
LH does not provide mileage credit for K fares (for many years). It does for higher fares.

See LH earnings for UA MP program
Old Jan 9, 16, 3:54 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I think you should probably not fully trust the fare class showed on the united.com, especially for codeshare flights - if you read other posts on this thread, you will know that it is solely Lufthansa's decision to put you at a fare class you actually fly (since you fly with Lufthansa). And if unfortunately you are assigned K class, then it would not accrue mileage. Safer is to book directly with Lufthansa to see which fare you are booked - avoiding K class there can guarantee you that you are not at K and mileage would be accrued with UA. This is my understanding - correct me if I am wrong? Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 16, 7:43 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Tommys888 View Post
I guess I will switch to TK for my flights to Seoul - was considering LX but they do not fly to Seoul and all flights with LH are K fares...

If you don't mind paying a bit more, you could just book higher fares with LH. The safest is to just buy on LH stock and credit to UA. You still get the status benefits, and since you don't need PQD because you're based out of the US, you don't mind using LH stock instead of UA.
Old Jan 9, 16, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Safer is to book directly with Lufthansa to see which fare you are booked - avoiding K class there can guarantee you that you are not at K and mileage would be accrued with UA. This is my understanding - correct me if I am wrong? Thanks!
Indeed, it is in most cases better to book directly with the operating carrier.

But if you choose to book the codeshare through UA, you can then call LH and ask what class you're ticketed in and cancel for free within 24 hours if you don't like the answer.
Old Jan 9, 16, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver

TK also has fare classes that don't earn. I believe P,N,T come to mind, but I can't remember exactly. Last couple of times I booked TK I believe they were both L fares which earn 100%.

I think you should probably not fully trust the fare class showed on the united.com, especially for codeshare flights - if you read other posts on this thread, you will know that it is solely Lufthansa's decision to put you at a fare class you actually fly (since you fly with Lufthansa).
Correct with most carriers, though the vast majority of the time, LH and UA fare classes are aligned, so a K class UA codeshare will almost certainly be an LH K class fare. I would assume it will be unless proven otherwise.

You can always book, call LH to check, And then cancel within 24 hours if necessary. You can also see if saver award availability shows up, and once you select the flights, click the button to purchase the flights for $XXXX. That will book them directly on the LH flight numbers and the booking class will definitely be correct.

Note that with K class also on 016 tickets, you will not be able to select seats in advance at all - will only be able to do so at check in - so if that is important to you, may be better to book directly with LH, where you can do advance seat assignment for a fee - though no PQDs that way.
Old Jan 10, 16, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
TK also has fare classes that don't earn. I believe P,N,T come to mind, but I can't remember exactly. Last couple of times I booked TK I believe they were both L fares which earn 100%.
For Turkish, T does earn 100% PQM and 50% RDM (if not 016). W, G, P appear to be the 'blighted' fares.

(I guess this is getting slightly off-topic, though.)
Old Jan 10, 16, 11:23 am

Thanks for the replies everybody, I'll book through Lufthansa then and pay a bit more for a non-K class ticket.
Old Jan 28, 16, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
UA 8844 LAX-DEL (operated Lufthansa) in K Class - earns no MILES or PQM?

Was looking on united.com to purchase a roundtrip ticket LAX-DEL, a very inexpensive fare is available (K class)

However, the flight appears to earn 0 miles and 0 PQM - how is this possible

I thought these types of fares earned at least a minimum of 50% (?) miles and PQMs?

Its a United flight operated by Lufthansa and purchased on united.com

By the way, on the Lufthansa partner page, I dont see the rules for earnings for K Class fares, which also is odd.
Old Jan 28, 16, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by caseminole View Post
Was looking on united.com to purchase a roundtrip ticket LAX-DEL, a very inexpensive fare is available (K class)

However, the flight appears to earn 0 miles and 0 PQM - how is this possible
Lufthansa K earns nothing on UA. I've highlighted the reason, above.
Old Jan 28, 16, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Lufthansa K earns nothing on UA. I've highlighted the reason, above.
Thanks for the fast response.

I dont even see K class listed on the Lufthansa partner page; however, for example, for ANA flights in K class, there is at least an entry for K class, and there is a minimum mileage earning.

So its not necessarily correct to say "all" K classes offered by partners earn nothing correct?
Old Jan 28, 16, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
.... By the way, on the Lufthansa partner page, I dont see the rules for earnings for K Class fares, which also is odd.
and it states just below that table
All other fare classes do not accrue mileage.
Beside 0 RDMs and 0 PQMs, it will earn 0 PQDs (because only RDM earning fares earn PQDs).
Old Jan 28, 16, 11:12 am

Thanks for the fast response.

I dont even see K class listed on the Lufthansa partner page; however, for example, for ANA flights in K class, there is at least an entry for K class, and there is a minimum mileage earning.

So its not necessarily correct to say "all" K classes offered by partners earn nothing correct?
The poster said LH K class. Not all K class.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: