Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Fares earning post March 2015 - some fares 75/50/0% - post March 2018 now 100% PQM

LH Fares earning post March 2015 - some fares 75/50/0% - post March 2018 now 100% PQM

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 26, 18, 3:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 17, 16, 11:56 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps View Post
Thanks for the correction. Most of my LH flights are international, with a intra-european segment.

But since you both seem fairly knowledgeable, maybe you can help me answer my LH PQM math. Booking on LH site, obviously LH metal. Need 6000 PQM's to get to 1K.

AMS-FRA - 1000 PQM
FRA-ATH - 2248 PQM
ATH-MUC 1878 PQM
MUC-FRA 1000 PQM
FRA-AMS 1000 PQM

Which means presumably I could drop one segment, or should I keep it for good measure?

I'd posted this as it's own thread, but if it gets answered here, I delete the other post... it 17 November, end of the year is approaching, I don't have a lot of options... bar a long flight to the U.S., which is wear and tear and time zones
According to united.com P on LH earns 200%, so the number of miles seems correct for each segment.
Old Nov 17, 16, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
I'm trying to decide on buying intra-Europe flights on LH metal. As I understand the new fare structure, any economy fare bucket can come in three levels on LH: Lite, Classic, and Flex.
On the LH website, one can choose among these levels, but you cannot specify the fare bucket, which leads to the dreaded K bucket, even if one specifies Classic fare, which includes checked baggage.
On the UA web site, one can request specific fare buckets, to avoid the K fare, and thus earn higher PQM. But one cannot choose the Lite, Classic and Flex levels.

As a result, I can either have certainty about checking a bag booking via the LH web site and then getting no MP credit via the K fare, or I can have certainty about the fare bucket booking on the UA site, but not know whether I'll get Lite or Classic level of ticket, and have no certainty about checking a bag.

Anyone figure out a strategy to deal with this Catch 22? It would be great if UA always booked into Classic, but I doubt one can on that.
You can always call LH in the US and book on the phone. There's a fee to book on the phone, but at least you get what you want.
Old Nov 17, 16, 1:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gusd View Post
You can always call LH in the US and book on the phone. There's a fee to book on the phone, but at least you get what you want.
That would add injury to insult! Bad enough that LH doesn't have the software to allow customers an opportunity to navigate the intricacies of its new fare structure, it then charges them extra to call in and deal with this shortcoming!
Old Nov 17, 16, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
That would add injury to insult! Bad enough that LH doesn't have the software to allow customers an opportunity to navigate the intricacies of its new fare structure, it then charges them extra to call in and deal with this shortcoming!
so what happens when you book on United? if you click all the way through, does it not tell you what luggage is included?

And, not sure where you are flying, but often time the business class fares are only a few pennies more than economy, you get double mileage, and avoid this faff.

The swiss site is a bit better... have you tried that? In fact LX service is slightly better over all - except if you have to change in ZRH from schengen to non schengen - then it seems like you have to walk to kingdom-come and back.
Old Nov 17, 16, 1:30 pm

I haven't tried it, but maybe they can waive the fee if you tell them you cannot book it online? Or use a travel agent?

I know that you want to do it on lh.com, but that is just not going to work. So I am only trying to give you suggestions of other ways to do it.
Old Nov 17, 16, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by gusd View Post
I haven't tried it, but maybe they can waive the fee if you tell them you cannot book it online? Or use a travel agent?

I know that you want to do it on lh.com, but that is just not going to work. So I am only trying to give you suggestions of other ways to do it.
They definitely waive the fee if you tell them the website can't do what you need it to do.
Old Nov 19, 16, 7:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You cannot pick a booking class on LH.com. Calling in won't waive either.
Old Nov 19, 16, 10:20 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
You cannot pick a booking class on LH.com. Calling in won't waive either.
Unless there's a sale on intra-Europe P fares in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to take the train between FRA and Brussels. Can't be bothered with this Catch-22 of fare rules and booking time/fee penalties.
Old Nov 19, 16, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm trying to decide on buying intra-Europe flights on LH metal. As I understand the new fare structure, any economy fare bucket can come in three levels on LH: Lite, Classic, and Flex.
On the LH website, one can choose among these levels, but you cannot specify the fare bucket, which leads to the dreaded K bucket, even if one specifies Classic fare, which includes checked baggage.
On the UA web site, one can request specific fare buckets, to avoid the K fare, and thus earn higher PQM. But one cannot choose the Lite, Classic and Flex levels.

As a result, I can either have certainty about checking a bag booking via the LH web site and then getting no MP credit via the K fare, or I can have certainty about the fare bucket booking on the UA site, but not know whether I'll get Lite or Classic level of ticket, and have no certainty about checking a bag.

Anyone figure out a strategy to deal with this Catch 22? It would be great if UA always booked into Classic, but I doubt one can on that.
I booked an LH intra-europe flight on ua.com, specifying I wanted an L fare. It indeed translated into a Lite booking, but no bag was changed when I checked it. I guess it is because of my *G status.
Old Nov 19, 16, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fivesixseven View Post
I guess it is because of my *G status.
*G baggage benefit does not extend to lite fares.

Can't say why you weren't charged, but that's not it.
Old Nov 20, 16, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
*G baggage benefit does not extend to lite fares.

Can't say why you weren't charged, but that's not it.
Is there any better explanation? United adding a bag to the reservation automatically (to its premier members)?
Old Nov 20, 16, 7:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If the ticket was issued as light, the checkin system needs an EMD for 15EUR or all fails. United can't just add anything.
Old Nov 20, 16, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
It's changes / improvements(?) like this that have made me swear off LH. After last year's late December MR fiasco with UA 016 stock and LH metal. I ended up with a LH W(hy did you book this) leg. Luckily the lost mileage only caused heartburn and not the loss of status. Moral of the story is check, check and recheck when flying on different carriers! (and then don't do it.)
Old Nov 20, 16, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
It's changes / improvements(?) like this that have made me swear off LH. After last year's late December MR fiasco with UA 016 stock and LH metal. I ended up with a LH W(hy did you book this) leg. Luckily the lost mileage only caused heartburn and not the loss of status. Moral of the story is check, check and recheck when flying on different carriers! (and then don't do it.)
Well, next year you'll also have to watch for United's Basic Economy fares, which will be similar to LH's light fares.
Old Nov 20, 16, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
If the ticket was issued as light, the checkin system needs an EMD for 15EUR or all fails. United can't just add anything.
So how come I wasn't charged? I did OLCI and checked my bag at the airport at the First Class counter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: