Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL Reports 1Q-2015 Earnings of $508m Net, 77W Orders, Other Fleet News

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL Reports 1Q-2015 Earnings of $508m Net, 77W Orders, Other Fleet News

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's the 10 sUA non-ER versions. Shorter range than the rest of the fleet.
Which makes sense - then the fleet will all be ER versions. Some 773 and most 772s, which should provide greater flexibility because the planes used TATL can now, if needed, turn to serve TPAC.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's the 10 sUA non-ER versions. Shorter range than the rest of the fleet.
I wonder if they will be reconfigured to be the same as the Hawaii config or if will be different. Seems sensible to make them identical but there may be other factors at play.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
As noted, 10 'A-market' 777-200s remain in the IPTE configuration, so those are the obvious targets, as the rest of the 772ER longhaul fleet becomes more or less interchangeable from a capability standpoint.

An interesting thought, which was discussed when the 77W rumor surfaced, was the possibility of the 10 shipsets of 77A IPTE F seats being repurposed into the 77W. I doubt the considerable investment in those seats have been entirely recouped. Wonder if that's realistic...
Got it. Makes sense; didn't realize there were non-ER 777's floating in the fleet. Good use for them. (As I said, I'm not a fleet planner and don't play one on TV ...)

So, I wonder if it makes more sense to recycle the IPTE seats into the 77W's, or auction them off for Boatloads of Miles... wouldn't mind one of those babies in my den.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Great news all around. The confusing news is the 777 going to domestic. Last we heard, the Hawaiian 777's were going to get BF seats and be used on shorter international European routes, but now 10 more are going to the Domestic Fleet?

So are the other 10 777's getting refurbed or not? Will UA really have 20 777's in a domestic configuration? If so, wow. We can now stop the hourly ORD-SFO, ORD-EWR, ORD-IAH, EWR-SFO, EWR-IAH, etc... More narrowbody's to serve the ORD-DSM of the world.

This seems like great news.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
A dumb ancillary-related Q from a newbie (i.e. me): what variant of the 772 does UA fly? On their website it just says 772, no mention of ER or anything (just looking at my LAX-SYD flight later this year)
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Complete the removal of more than 130 50-seat aircraft from its schedule by the end of 2015. UAL will remove additional 50-seat aircraft in 2016 and beyond as aircraft come off lease.

Is this the CRJ200 or ERJ145? Both have 50 seats. Either way, it's welcome news.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by channa
That's PRASM growth. What's the actual PRASM?
Neither Delta or United release nominal regional PRASM, only percentage change.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
So are the other 10 777's getting refurbed or not? Will UA really have 20 777's in a domestic configuration? If so, wow. We can now stop the hourly ORD-SFO, ORD-EWR, ORD-IAH, EWR-SFO, EWR-IAH, etc... More narrowbody's to serve the ORD-DSM of the world.
... and thus, we enter the "frequency vs. lift" debate.

Honestly, hub-to-hub twice a day probably won't cut it. I actually like having lots of flight options to choose from... it depends on your priority.

If your priority is to side on a wide body bird, the frequency thing is definitely a problem. If your priority is to get the heck in to a meeting and get the heck out, then frequency is your friend.

For me, I'm a domestic flyer and try to maximize my time at home, so I'll take frequency over wide body comfort. But if you look at domestic legs as a means to an end (i.e. say, to make a connection to a TPAC or TATL) -- well, that's a whole different view of the world.

Different strokes for different folks. Hell, I don't even mind the E145's - so long as I get an 'A' seat.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
A dumb ancillary-related Q from a newbie (i.e. me): what variant of the 772 does UA fly? On their website it just says 772, no mention of ER or anything (just looking at my LAX-SYD flight later this year)
UA Mainline Fleet Site

A wealth of info here.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... and thus, we enter the "frequency vs. lift" debate.

Honestly, hub-to-hub twice a day probably won't cut it. I actually like having lots of flight options to choose from... it depends on your priority.

If your priority is to side on a wide body bird, the frequency thing is definitely a problem. If your priority is to get the heck in to a meeting and get the heck out, then frequency is your friend.

For me, I'm a domestic flyer and try to maximize my time at home, so I'll take frequency over wide body comfort. But if you look at domestic legs as a means to an end (i.e. say, to make a connection to a TPAC or TATL) -- well, that's a whole different view of the world.

Different strokes for different folks. Hell, I don't even mind the E145's - so long as I get an 'A' seat.
Ya that's a different thread... But honestly, 13-16 flights a day between EWR-SFO and ORD-SFO (depending on day)? That is not needed. You throw 2 widebody flights in between, and now you have 4-5 aircraft that can do other flights.

You can easily squeeze a flight between 2 flights and free up some planes. 14 flights a day, can be done with 10 flights a day and not really affect frequency too much.

Flights like ORD-BOS are suffering with Express, due to no mainline aircraft as they are all flying hourly service to IAH, SFO, EWR, LAX. A ton of aircraft can be better positioned to fly different missions, than sending a 319 on EWR-SFO, just to say they have "frequency".

But again, different thread. I'd rather be home, but if I'm home 30 minutes later and flew on a more spacious 777 over a 737-900, I'll take that any day.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
But again, different thread. I'd rather be home, but if I'm home 30 minutes later and flew on a more spacious 777 over a 737-900, I'll take that any day.
Heck... a 777 would probably get you there 30 minutes faster!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
http://aviationweek.com/advanced-mac...7-upgrade-plan

One of the reasons why United might have gone for the 77W now is Boeing's latest PIP for the aircraft, scheduled to debut Q3 next year. While not stated on when the plane is supposed to be delivered next year, I can't imagine United ordered this aircraft without the PIP in mind. Had these enhancements been available years ago, I doubt United would have gone with the A35J. Early guess for one future route is ORD-HKG.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Finally. A 77W order. In 2015. Only about 10 years behind the others... Here's hoping that they are delivered as B777-322ER's.

And, finally the COdbaUA management is learning/listening from the legacy UA schedulers... we need more lift for the hub-to-hub flights.

SFO-ORD for one needs additional capacity (not just frequency). I'm sure IAH-SFO could as well...

Last edited by warreng24; Apr 23, 2015 at 8:40 am
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Ouch... 4-6% PRASM decline forecast in 2Q, reduced capacity guidance to 1-2% ASM growth in 2015 on capacity increase of 2-3%. 3% PRASM reduction in domestic, 7% PRASM deficit international. 1% reduction in corporate revenue driven by 20% reduction in oil-related traffic. 2Q forecast to have the worst PRASM performance of the year, however.

Japan capacity will be reduced in 4Q by 7% yoy.

Last edited by EWR764; Apr 23, 2015 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Longboater
http://aviationweek.com/advanced-mac...7-upgrade-plan

One of the reasons why United might have gone for the 77W now is Boeing's latest PIP for the aircraft, scheduled to debut Q3 next year. While not stated on when the plane is supposed to be delivered next year, I can't imagine United ordered this aircraft without the PIP in mind. Had these enhancements been available years ago, I doubt United would have gone with the A35J. Early guess for one future route is ORD-HKG.
I've heard these deliveries start in late 2016.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.