Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Chris Roberts/One World Labs News Stories Related to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of Chris Roberts/One World Labs News Stories Related to UA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:31 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
But a lawyer for Roberts said Sunday that when his client received that call, the caller would only say he or she was from United, and wouldn't give Roberts a name or callback number. When Roberts then tried calling the number back from his phone's caller ID, it rang instead to a resort hotel, and Roberts assumed it was a prank call, Roberts' lawyer said.
It is a violation of code/law to spoof caller id.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
When United bans a flyer like this, do they share the information with other U.S. carriers or those in IATA? Is UA just the beginning of this travelers's problems?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:09 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by tom911
When United bans a flyer like this, do they share the information with other U.S. carriers or those in IATA? Is UA just the beginning of this travelers's problems?
If United didn't share it, he sure did when he went to the press. Media can be a double edged sword.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by NDN
It is a violation of code/law to spoof caller id.
No, it definitely isn't. I think it should be, but legally you can pretty much put whatever you want in the caller id field.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by Exterous
I think 'no other recourse' is a leap that is not supported by the discussion here. Is there a long and well established history of companies ignoring\suppressing warnings? Absolutely - Apple, Sony, Home Depot, Target etc etc etc have had warnings that were not addressed much to the detriment of their customers and were not disclosed until after the breach. Does that mean he had no other possible recourse? No and I don't believe anyone has said that. I do, however, think that this Twitter incident has garnered FAR more interest on the issue of UA security than a traditional publishing or warning would have.
Oh? To wit [bold are mine, not OP]:

Originally Posted by Exterous
While there are supposed to be appropriate avenues for reporting this many go ignored until they are brought to public light. Twitter has been used before to report bugs that have gone ignored for extended periods of time despite being submitted through approved processes. It was only when social pressure and notice was exerted via social media that the issues were addressed.

I am not saying that his idea was a good one or that he should or should not have been barred from flying just that social media is becoming a common place to post this sort of information due to a persistent business culture of ignoring issues until the pressure overcomes business as usual....
Originally Posted by JakiChan
Yeah, it doesn't work that way in information security. You know why? Because "publishing" always makes someone look bad. That's why many companies often go out of their way to gag security researchers. In fact they often use the DMCA to do so.

I.e.:
Originally Posted by JakiChan
And he didn't. He tweeted.

Actually, when someone doesn't respond to your vulnerabilities, then yeah twitter is a way to do it. He's tried to talk to the various agencies in the past but they weren't interested in talking to him. Bet they are now.
There are NO ways or means to justify his actions. Whistleblowers who act independently usually have another axe to grind - in his case, bragging about penetrating a plane's network is spurious at best, not leverage to apply "social pressure and notice was exerted via social media"
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
FBI Warning

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32411491

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/fbi-tsa...-onboard-wifi/

Last edited by if1km; Apr 22, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why oh why would the airlines have the 2 systems integrated together? The inflight wifi/entertainment should have 0 interaction with the flight systems.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Baze
Why oh why would the airlines have the 2 systems integrated together? The inflight wifi/entertainment should have 0 interaction with the flight systems.
Since the hardware is installed, it's certainly very useful for the flight systems to be able to use the bandwidth for uploads and downloads. You wouldn't want to depend on it for absolutely essential functions, but there are lots of nice-but-not-flight-critical functions.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
My guess: In order to provide data about your flight (altitude, speed, time until destination) within the wifi portal, it needs to get it from the aircraft.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Garten
Since the hardware is installed, it's certainly very useful for the flight systems to be able to use the bandwidth for uploads and downloads. You wouldn't want to depend on it for absolutely essential functions, but there are lots of nice-but-not-flight-critical functions.
Originally Posted by MattR23
My guess: In order to provide data about your flight (altitude, speed, time until destination) within the wifi portal, it needs to get it from the aircraft.
I'm thinking more along the lines of security than showing a passenger the speed of the plane. For security reasons, why would they be integrated, just asking for trouble.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm thinking more along the lines of security than showing a passenger the speed of the plane. For security reasons, why would they be integrated, just asking for trouble.
Possibly a AEEC 429 bus from the FMS to get the origin/destination/ETA/speed/altitude for the IFE (Airshow or similar).
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: 1k
I am not a fan at all of wifi and phones/devices on flights.

It is because of the noise and banging on key boards that I have a problem with.
Especially in E when the dude behind you has heavy hands and bangs on the keyboard, shaking your seat as you try to sleep.

But this is a whole different ball game now.

I hope they ban all devices on flights. If one cannot get work done on the ground then .......
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
I'll make another guess that they aren't any more integrated than they need to be in order to provide basic functionality.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Roberts also told CNN he was able to connect to a box under his seat at least a dozen times to view data from the aircraft's engines, fuel and flight-management systems.
So this guy was opening boxes under seats and connecting into them at least a dozen times. Apparently dozens of passengers seated nearby didn't think this was a bad idea, so none of them alerted flight attendants/crews about his suspicious behavior?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Howste
So this guy was opening boxes under seats and connecting into them at least a dozen times. Apparently dozens of passengers seated nearby didn't think this was a bad idea, so none of them alerted flight attendants/crews about his suspicious behavior?
That is disturbing indeed. I would have zip tied him to his seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.