Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's policy on limiting alcohol drinks?"One drink per service,Y only? Doubles coming?

Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by Whyme
The latest announcement, effective 05 Nov 2021, says, "Alcoholic beverages are limited to one per customer during each service..."

I was not aware that this applied to first class, but it's possible.
Originally Posted by fezzington
FAs are trained using the traffic light system and to slow serve when they believe the passenger to be progressing to "Yellow" and absolutely no more drinks if a passenger hits "Red" behaviors -- we weren't there, but there is always that possibility.

Also, UA changed the drink rules to "One drink per service" as of 11/5 -- on a short flight, I can see someone saying "there was one service" and thus, no (alcoholic) drink refills.
Okay, I looked for more details. There was an Oct. 27 Inflight Services Weekly that detailed it, "If a customer requests an alcoholic beverage, serve ONE single cocktail, beer, wine, or hard alcohol at a time, per beverage service. Customers can request additional beverages from the galley or their seat after the beverage service concludes." ISW doesn't specify class of service. The Service Guides in Content Locker say it's for first class and economy both. It also says to do hourly beverage services in first class.

For domestic and Canadian economy class flights, my current understanding based on what I could interpret of the service guides is that flights under 300 miles have no scheduled beverage service. Flights over 3 hours scheduled (or possibly actual) time have a second beverage cart. All other domestic flights have one scheduled beverage service.

I say, write to Kirby first class customers! Or fly with me and have doubles.

Archived thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2068912-what-s-ua-s-policy-limiting-alcohol-drinks-archive.html

Print Wikipost

UA's policy on limiting alcohol drinks?"One drink per service,Y only? Doubles coming?

Old Nov 6, 2021, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM

Flew SFO-LAS today. Drink service came round and the FA said: “There’s a new rule as of yesterday: one drink maximum in First and you are not allowed to request another one” (more or less verbatim). Huh? Is this true? It’s a short flight but come on.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by djmp
Flew SFO-LAS today. Drink service came round and the FA said: “There’s a new rule as of yesterday: one drink maximum in First and you are not allowed to request another one” (more or less verbatim). Huh? Is this true? It’s a short flight but come on.
Alcohol or any drink? I guess Kirby opened up his MS Excel again.

Or you might have misheard her say “I made a new rule for myself yesterday, I’m only going to serve everyone one drink and go back to my People magazine for the rest of the flight”
Doppy, Xyzzy, enviroian and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
No such rule. Next time, call her out on her BS.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Write it in for this time too.
Xyzzy and J_Stroming like this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
While I generally agree, the FAs have some flexibility if they think the passenger has had multiple drinks prior to boarding (not that was true in this case). Abusing that judgement or just being lazy should be reported BUT we all have seen incidents where cutting off the passenger was the right call.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
FAs are trained using the traffic light system and to slow serve when they believe the passenger to be progressing to "Yellow" and absolutely no more drinks if a passenger hits "Red" behaviors -- we weren't there, but there is always that possibility.

Also, UA changed the drink rules to "One drink per service" as of 11/5 -- on a short flight, I can see someone saying "there was one service" and thus, no (alcoholic) drink refills.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
When confronted like this, I make a point to request a water refill...again...and again...and again...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 6, 2021 at 9:22 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Can we ask for a double on a "short" flight? Also, how short is a "short" flight considered?

David
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:00 pm

The latest announcement, effective 05 Nov 2021, says, "Alcoholic beverages are limited to one per customer during each service..."

Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would be really annoying. A lot of FAs will offer or proactively give a double on the first service to avoid a passenger having to ask for a refill right away. (Very often in coach with 1Ks as well.) If they are going to apply that to each "scheduled" service in first, then on most flight you're only going to get one drink, since they usually do a sweep of the cabin at altitude, and then everything else is on request, unless it's a longer, multiple meal service route.

Definitely worth a note to United to head this off before anyone gets any "smart" ideas.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 12:03 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't mean to sound too jaded, but what universe is this? Premium cabins are supposed to have "beverage service" throughout the flight. In a premium cabin, if a glass is empty and it catches a cabin crew member's eye, there is only one proper course action to take (hint: it isn't to walk by and ignore the passenger's empty glass until it is time for landing).

That isn't to say that alcohol consumption should be actively encouraged and language subtilty should play a role (i.e. "can I offer you something else to drink" might be better than "would you like another one" in the case of an empty alcoholic beverage), but "per beverage service" in a memo with respect to a premium cabin makes no sense and is likely to encourage lower service standards and engender passenger disappointment and dissatisfaction.

I sincerely hope this isn't the case and the memo was misinterpreted (which also isn't great).
Old Nov 7, 2021, 1:37 am
Original Poster

I’ll write the 1K line and see what they say about one drink max in First. Overall it was not a great flight. Trash not picked up before departure and just left lying, window shades closed despite their announcement and I had a broken seat which wouldn’t lock in the upright position.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

I doubt it. And then what is 'each service'? Each time to FA comes around?
Old Nov 7, 2021, 9:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Can we ask for a double on a "short" flight? Also, how short is a "short" flight considered?

David
I honestly don't know. The change was made to the announcements, but no accompanying memo came (that I saw). And "short" is not defined anywhere I know of... I still think a transcon is "short" but my family disagrees

I'm not so sure it does either. But you know our coworkers, give an inch...
artvandalay likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Just to be 100% clear, this was not a “had too much” scenario, I was stone cold sober. It was part of the beverage order phrasing from the FA and she did reference the 11/5 rule.. I originally posted this to the “Let’s Eat… Premium Cabin” thread because it was food and beverage related but the mods moved it over here.
narvik likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.