Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on Upgraded International Long-haul United Economy Dining [Eff 1-June 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on Upgraded International Long-haul United Economy Dining [Eff 1-June 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by goodeats21
More likely...the FAs do not want to deal with passenger complaints about no mid-flight snack, so they have re-ordered the in-flight service to create their own version of an included snack. No "appetizer" at the beginng, but now they have a very weak snack.

Of course, the bean counters will see the lack of BOB mid-flight sales as proof that it was an un-needed extravagance.

Spread sheet friendly.
On mine, they served the tomato bruschetta crisps at the beginning but had some bags left over for snacks - kind of like they used to have the extra brownies as snacks.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:36 pm

Anyone have pics of the cardboard wine box ?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Anyone have pics of the cardboard wine box ?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Not much of an "enhancement" to say the least. My two main beefs: the absence of the leafy greens (or in United's case, iceberg lettuce) and the length of time it took between "courses."

Dinner took the same amount of time in Economy class than it did in United Business to finish because of the lag time between the crackers, main entree and dessert.

No executive dining option in Economy.

Some of us in Y would like to snooze as soon as we can after scarfing down the new, meager offering.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:45 am
Suspended

I've flown 90k on AA this year, but had to do a UA flight because of schedule the meal was just awful. I can't believe they have BOB for a midflight snack??????? this is terrible terrible. and it's a work trip, so i can expense it, but it's still wrong - i refuse to buy out of principle.

luckily, there was a leftover pasta dish. usually they toss them, but i asked for one mid-flight and they gave it to me. phew!!!! i also got 2 brekkies. and i was still hungry.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Personally I have not experienced the enhanced meal service. From the relatively muted responses on this thread since June 1, can one declare that the UA's enhancement is a success except for some transpacific longhauls?
I mostly fly TATL from IAD, the enhancement to me is improvement with free wine, cheese cracker, ice cream(UK made Belgium chocolate truffle, very good). The main course is pretty much the same as before, just edible, but I always eat enough before flight at home or lounge.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just experienced the new enhancement flying from IAH to FRA. seriously? Salad was horrible and tiny. Nothing in it. Turkey meatloaf was like a sponge of poo. Sweet potato side was like a sponge of wierdness. Bread roll was cold and hard. Dessert served about 30 min after I had already finished my meal was a mango sorbet. I dont drink often on my flights but seeing the 2 box-o-wines reminded of my days in college when I was eating Ramen noodles but wanted some alcohol to wash it down. My roomate and myself would buy the big boxes of wine in the box.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we need some before and after pictures
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
On mine, they served the tomato bruschetta crisps at the beginning but had some bags left over for snacks - kind of like they used to have the extra brownies as snacks.
This was the same on SYD-SFO... I saw a few people have purchased BOB boxes... I just took my own.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
NH's 2-4-3 on the 77W is certainly better than 3-3-3 on UA's 772, meal is always better (no matter Japanese or Western option) with menus online come with photos so you know ahead what you are going to get, miso soup, bottle water, Haagen Dazs ice-cream, mid-flight snack station in the galley. Second meal come with both yogurt and fruit on the side.
I know a bit OT, but the problem with NH is the shell seats they use on this aircraft, which are quite uncomfortable. Sliding forward makes the seat really cramped - much worse, IMO, then someone in front of me fully reclined. And I basically didn't eat on the NH flight since the options were pork/fish, both of which I don't eat (figured there would at least be a chicken option). I flew a couple of years ago, but there was deifnitely no haagen daaz, but there were some tasty crackers, and I think they had some juice only they serve that was good.

Plus, isn't ANA going to 3-4-3 in the 777s soon in Y? Once that is complete, the seats will be event worse.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I know a bit OT, but the problem with NH is the shell seats they use on this aircraft, which are quite uncomfortable. Sliding forward makes the seat really cramped - much worse, IMO, then someone in front of me fully reclined. And I basically didn't eat on the NH flight since the options were pork/fish, both of which I don't eat (figured there would at least be a chicken option). I flew a couple of years ago, but there was deifnitely no haagen daaz, but there were some tasty crackers, and I think they had some juice only they serve that was good.

Plus, isn't ANA going to 3-4-3 in the 777s soon in Y? Once that is complete, the seats will be event worse.
NH changed its Y menus every month, unlike UA doesn't change it not for like at least 3 months if not 6 months, so there is not always pork or fish, it could be beefy or fish too. Like I said before, there is a menus with photos posted on its own website, it is not like you don't know what they are serving (there is no "figured there would be at least a chicken option", as if you don't like what they are serving on that particular month, you can just fly a different airline) But if you didn't look at the menus online prior to your flight, whose fault is that ? (NH had been posting menus online for 10+ years ! And the menus is by route and they posted menus up to 3 months ahead !)

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_co...e/y/meal/menu/

You haven't flown NH long haul Y for more than a few years (LAX-HND is exception, as it is a redeye flight, redeye flight doesn't have full meal service with ice-cream like the rest of NH's TPAC flights). Haagen Dazs was always there for long haul NH flights in Y, NH removed that for a number of years and for sale instead in their MyWay menus (NH's own BoB), however MyWay menus had been removed from all international flights and only for domestic Japan flights for quite a while now)

There are 6 of the 77W already in 3-4-3 config, no plans for the rest of them converting from 2-4-3 to 3-4-3, as if there is, the recent newly delivered ones wouldn't be in also 2-4-3 right ? If you had never flown on NH's 3-4-3 config 77W, you can't assume it is even worse, as not all airlines that have 77W in 3-4-3 config use the same seat with the same width. I actually had just flown on NH's 77W with 3-4-3 in Y, certainly felt wider than the previous 77W in 3-3-3 config. (3-3-3 was the original NH 77W config before 2-4-3 come out)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18705526-post10.html

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 24, 2015 at 11:07 am
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Just flew back from Europe and was pleasantly surprised by the food and service. I liked the cheese and crackers with a drink. We didn't have to wait long for the food to be served. The curry smelled delicious but I had just had 4+ days of food like that and opted for the pasta which was surprisingly not overcooked and dry and actually tasty. I had a glass of free wine (opted to use a coupon for vodka with the cheese) with the meal. They came around quite a few times to refresh drinks and passed out bottles of water. Ice cream came after a little time passed and it was not bad. Prior to landing we received a turkey and cheese sandwich with more beverages. And it was not bad for airline food.

For me, this is was positive change. Edible food, several servings, lots of water and drinks, and a working entertainment unit with OD movies made for a tolerable flight. Blankets and pillows too. It has been awhile since I've made that trip in economy (I would only do it on the return) and found it much better than I expected.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by bennijiggs
Just experienced the new enhancement flying from IAH to FRA. seriously? Salad was horrible and tiny. Nothing in it. Turkey meatloaf was like a sponge of poo. Sweet potato side was like a sponge of wierdness. Bread roll was cold and hard. Dessert served about 30 min after I had already finished my meal was a mango sorbet. I dont drink often on my flights but seeing the 2 box-o-wines reminded of my days in college when I was eating Ramen noodles but wanted some alcohol to wash it down. My roomate and myself would buy the big boxes of wine in the box.
Thanks for that description. Doesn't sound very appealing. I have a flight in September. Maybe I'll grab something before I get on the plane. I might buy a half bottle of wine on the plane should should be better than the box wine.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA c2mm, GS ->1k-> platinum. Bonvoy platinum
New meal service not as advertised...

I like the idea of the new 3 part service - the reality didn't match the promise though.
IAH - GRU and GRU - IAH last week in E+ - We were shown the new video ad describing the service, there was a page advertising it in Hemispheres, and the FA/purser described the new three part service we would experience...
And then as soon as we hit 38k ft the trolleys were in the aisle flinging out chicken or pasta along with a beverage as fast as they could manage. Shortly afterwards, they came by to pick up trash and then distribute ice cream/mousse. And then finally another trash pick up along with a bottle of water along with what should have been the appetizer - cheese and crackers outbound and just a pack of crackers on the way back.
I asked the FA and he told me that they just like to serve food quickly on the late night flights (9.20pm!).
Maybe its different on day flights, but there's no such UA option to/from Brazil. UA shouldn't make the promise if they can't keep it (unless its an FA revolt over having to do three runs up and down the aisle). Disappointing but not surprising all in.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by walesonawing
I asked the FA and he told me that they just like to serve food quickly on the late night flights (9.20pm!).
I was just on HND-SFO which is a 1 am departure. We got crackers, no cheese, then 30 minutes later drinks. What is up with that? Pass them out together. I for the giggles tried the wine, to call it wine insults the grapes. It was more like grain ETOH with some grape flavoring added. I had one sip. Its the freshbrew of wine.

Then the "meal" Small tray, and I mean small, with one thing which was disgusting and a roll with butter. That was it. It was hands down the worst airline meal I have ever had served to me. I ate one bite, gave up.

Then before landing we got the rice/curry or pasta option with another roll and a very very small edimami and two piece of lattice "salad." Sad joke of a meal. It screamed "how cheap can I be"

Then vanilla "gelato" which tasted like ice milk handed out.

Person next to me commented on how what we were served had little on common with the video they had played.

Bottom line - the food was as bad as any United had ever served, and in no way made me interested in flying United again, ever again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.