Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on Upgraded International Long-haul United Economy Dining [Eff 1-June 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on Upgraded International Long-haul United Economy Dining [Eff 1-June 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by channa
I don't think we have enough information to determine that. If it's more, it's possibly very close. In the North American example, hundreds of flights had food removed. That's a lot of money to shuffle around to other flights.
It's difficult to quantify, but between the dozens of Express flights that went from (substantially) no food to more-or-less full service, the exception markets, the expanded meal windows, reduced mileage cutoffs for meal service, upgraded transcon meals, improved midcon desserts and snack baskets on Express, I would argue those changes have more than offset the loss of the snack tray.

Moreover, I feel it's a wiser investment, as the 'take rate' for the snack tray, on redeyes especially, always seemed to be quite low. I don't want to get too far into the weeds on this, but you're correct that food came off a sizable number of flights (not sure about 'hundreds'). I feel it has mostly been replaced by more food, more often on flights were a greater number pax seem to actually want to eat.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:44 pm

Bingo! Despite all the spin from UA, it is not hard to understand why they did this. Surely, not from an abundance of good will towards customers.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Looks like they stripped the Y product down too far, paid some business penalty, and now have to snap back to market norms.

They wouldn't do this if they didn't see the zero-frills strategy had cost them more than it saved them.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWR764
Moreover, I feel it's a wiser investment, as the 'take rate' for the snack tray, on redeyes especially, always seemed to be quite low. I don't want to get too far into the weeds on this, but you're correct that food came off a sizable number of flights (not sure about 'hundreds'). I feel it has mostly been replaced by more food, more often on flights were a greater number pax seem to actually want to eat.
I agree. Catering is a huge waste on red-eye flights, especially those departing after 10:30pm. Nearly everyone wants to sleep, in both cabins.

If I'm booked on a sunday night 10pm red-eye on LAX-JFK p.s. J, my first priority is getting sleep. I'm not sacrificing that even if the airline were serving caviar in white gloves.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Here are some pictures of Air France meal and drinks

Originally Posted by drewguy
I found those to be a bit dry.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...494-image.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...495-image.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...496-image.html
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Curries work extremely well on airplanes -- they're high on flavor which helps with diminished taste buds, they're wet, so they reheat well without drying, and stews/curries can me made cheaply in bulk. Whenever I see one, I order it.
I agree completely. The problem for UA here is that many Americans will still not touch something as "exotic" as curry. They have to offer something that's fairly bland.

IIRC, when UA had the Trotter menu for a while, it was higher in spices to compensate for diminished taste buds. It would be nice to have at least one option with stronger flavors again.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Neil35
The feature is coming back, just not of the same quality as in its last incarnation.
This! ^

Let's take something away, then bring it back a year later with much fanfare and a press release.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
What defines long haul Europe from USA?
No such thing as short-haul TATL.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
"most"?

The news release says "most" transPacific flights ... so leaving out ????
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by BH62
I believe they're making it clear that this is long-haul TPAC as opposed to the island hopper.

Also, glad to see more vegetarian options. Airplane meat generally isn't all that good, so more veg options are always welcome.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BH62
Originally Posted by unavaca
I believe they're making it clear that this is long-haul TPAC as opposed to the island hopper.

Also, glad to see more vegetarian options. Airplane meat generally isn't all that good, so more veg options are always welcome.
I read that to mean GUM-HNL both the direct and "Island Hopper" flights. They recently "aligned" their menus to reflect what is offered on a domestic flight with a slight enhancement. They can do that on the GUM-HNL flights since it's a monopoly and there is NO competition.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
We all should know by know that UA positive announcements are like a puzzle. We have to find the cuts.

I don't fly International long-haul economy, so I'm not familiar enough with the product to know the difference, but there's gotta be some take-away buried in here. There always is.
Just like any thread announcing a positive UA move, there's gotta be a few posts of negativity buried in here. There always is.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
So UA which was the last holdout on complimentary beer/wine will join all the other airlines, barring very few on the TATL flights. Good.

What will happen to the free mid flight snack which they are giving on EWR-BOM/DEL, ORD-China, EWR-HKG flights and IAH-LOS flights. The mid flight snack actually is given right after the main meal service and then the next service is the pre arrival meal on these ULH flights. Do we have to purchase them or will that still be complimentary.

And one more thing still no complimentary meal or beer/wine on the service to Peru, these flights are long (7 hrs +).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
No such thing as short-haul TATL.
I assume long haul is 8-12 hours, but I guess not. Didn't know 752 from EWR to DUB was considered long haul < 6 hours in the air. Good to know.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by hyho61
So UA which was the last holdout on complimentary beer/wine will join all the other airlines, barring very few on the TATL flights. Good.

What will happen to the free mid flight snack which they are giving on EWR-BOM/DEL, ORD-China, EWR-HKG flights and IAH-LOS flights. The mid flight snack actually is given right after the main meal service and then the next service is the pre arrival meal on these ULH flights. Do we have to purchase them or will that still be complimentary.
Looks like they are getting rid of the mid-flight snack and replacing it with choice menu purchases for those who want them. Kinda tacky and that is a loss, those India flights are long.

And one more thing still no complimentary meal or beer/wine on the service to Peru, these flights are long (7 hrs +).
EWR/IAD-HNL also get nothing free and those are even longer.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

Icelandair still charges for wine, beer and food. But their lamb sandwiches are delicious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.