Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by skier464
Maybe but its a pretty clear increase across the board. And i did specifically ask the chat agent did the price of USA-Europe economy awards go from 30 to 40k last night. The answer was a simple yes. No hesitation. Seems they were told something. While there are no charts anymore their is a baseline saver price. [...]its pretty clear that they have increased average economy award pricing.
Edited for brevity, but I strongly agree that this seems to be the case, for mainland Europe. IMO LHR is a different animal, since there are so many non-stop daily flights to one location. Additionally, we already saw miles devaluation already this year for business class transcons overnight in March, where EWR<>SFO went from 60K JN floor to 80K JN floor.

Originally Posted by jsloan
And that answer was clearly wrong, as displayed later in the thread. (The UK is in the Europe region).

The end of the award chart means just that -- there is no more chart. UA does not publish fares. I've seen domestic Y "saver" awards at higher than the old 12.5K each way, and I've seen them at much lower than 12.5K.
True, they do come and go above the old baseline, but this is more akin to increasing domestic X from 12.5k+/- to 17.5k+/- across the board overnight. Such a change is clearly a devaluation, even if both before and after are still relatively "dynamic."
fttc likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Its very odd. They have 9 business class seats open but still charging 158k points for it. On seat map there are 15 empty seats.

Anyways didnt feel like waiting any longer so i chose a flight with a 2 hour layover in geneva for 76300 miles each for 3 people. Got 711 pqp for it. Email says i get 1 pqf but my future flight tracker says i get 2. I wonder which one is right.
Old May 2, 2023, 6:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fbcooper
Its very odd. They have 9 business class seats open but still charging 158k points for it.
That's 4.5 cpm if still $7K.
UA has losts of historu on later purchasers and UA is probably preferring cash upgraders (of which it also has history)

On seat map there are 15 empty seats. ...
Seatmaps can be very misleading

Email says i get 1 pqf but my future flight tracker says i get 2. I wonder which one is right.
1 for each UA operated flight. No credit for partner award flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 6:39 pm

Clearly overnight (to 5/1) a big change was implemented. Is it possible that it's not forever? Sure. But I've searched so many fares, dates, cities, etc, and it was pretty clear that 10K was added. Hopefully this isn't forever, but as of now, this is where we are at. The label of "saver award" to 40K EU fares has never been seen (by me) before.
fttc and Fly2Connect like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2023 at 9:11 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old May 2, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's 4.5 cpm if still $7K.
UA has losts of historu on later purchasers and UA is probably preferring cash upgraders (of which it also has history)

Seatmaps can be very misleading

1 for each UA operated flight. No credit for partner award flights.
Yea cpm wise its good but i didnt want to fork over more than 80k which is what singapore/lufthansa direct were going for.

My ewr - geneva connecting flight also had 9 seats left according to expert mode but i guess frankfurt has a different threshold now. I've been watching for about 2 weeks now and united has not gone lower than about 120k for frankfurt even on the last day. January/february i had no problems getting for around 63k i believe both times i went for trade shows.

Guess the future flight tracker is glitching then. I'll update you guys if it counts the geneva - lufthansa flight
Old May 3, 2023, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bgallthat1
Clearly overnight (to 5/1) a big change was implemented. Is it possible that it's not forever? Sure. But I've searched so many fares, dates, cities, etc, and it was pretty clear that 10K was added. Hopefully this isn't forever, but as of now, this is where we are at. The label of "saver award" to 40K EU fares has never been seen (by me) before.
as many have posted here, that does not appear to be universally true. In many (not in all) cases there was a small increase indeed, however, not necessarily 10k Miles. SFO-LHR is 34.6k and unless miraculously it used to be 24.6k ... the increase is not 10k. It appears the old award regions are no longer in use; will be interesting to map out the new standard X/XN rates somewhere.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
We just booked a trip for two weeks from now from TYO to NYC -- same price as ever - no changes... This is dynamic pricing -- and people are booking now for summer holidays to the EU -- so if you want to use miles you are going to pay more.... Welcome to Kirbyland...
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
We just booked a trip for two weeks from now from TYO to NYC -- same price as ever - no changes... This is dynamic pricing -- and people are booking now for summer holidays to the EU -- so if you want to use miles you are going to pay more.... Welcome to Kirbyland...
If you've waited until now to use your points for summer travel in '23 you should have no complaints on points prices. Flights are quite full and every seat that is redeemed is a seat that could be sold for cash.
beltway likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 10:25 am
CJN

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United MileagePlus Platinum
Anyone else also seeing paid upgrades increase on award tickets? A week ago ORD-FCO in Oct was $1500 one way, $2500 on the return for Polaris from a XN fare. Both shot up to $5100 for each leg seemingly overnight (same time as we're seeing all of this other US>EU award price increases). PP is now $2500 for each of the flights (up from ~$1400).

I'm aware these have always been dynamically priced based on demand and whatever cash price UA thinks they can get. Just odd to me they'd both increase 100-300% to the same price for PP and Polaris - especially when I can book the same flights via cash fare in Z RT for $4400. Curious if there are any other DPs out there.

Mods - sorry if this belongs in another thread. Just seems to be correlated with what others are seeing here re: XN fare increases.
Old May 3, 2023, 10:43 am

There is definitely a baseline increase. LHR is always treated differently since it's a competitive market and cash price much cheaper. But to most part of continental Europe, the baseline was 30/33k while now it's pretty much always 43.9k.

The baseline is quite easy to verify, just look at the 30 days calendar, and pick some random cities that's not ZRH/FRA/MUC, And to people arguing it's dynamic pricing, why they are all same to different cities. And it's not just summer, I didn't check carefully, but I'm pretty sure it extends all the way to end of schedule. So there has always been a fixed baseline price so far, and it did just got a significant jump.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If you've waited until now to use your points for summer travel in '23 you should have no complaints on points prices. Flights are quite full and every seat that is redeemed is a seat that could be sold for cash.
Sorry, don't agree with this at all. MileagePlus markets its points as valuable currency and United makes a lot of money from the program. The idea that the only seats that should be available for awards are "leftover" or "surplus" is a fallacy.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJN
Anyone else also seeing paid upgrades increase on award tickets? A week ago ORD-FCO in Oct was $1500 one way, $2500 on the return for Polaris from a XN fare. Both shot up to $5100 for each leg seemingly overnight (same time as we're seeing all of this other US>EU award price increases). PP is now $2500 for each of the flights (up from ~$1400).

I'm aware these have always been dynamically priced based on demand and whatever cash price UA thinks they can get. Just odd to me they'd both increase 100-300% to the same price for PP and Polaris - especially when I can book the same flights via cash fare in Z RT for $4400. Curious if there are any other DPs out there.

Mods - sorry if this belongs in another thread. Just seems to be correlated with what others are seeing here re: XN fare increases.
This is driven by change in the inventory on your flights, and it's not directly related to the award price settings systemwide. Of course, they may have tightened up inventory everywhere and increased award price levels at the same time, but those would be two separate actions.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fttc
So there has always been a fixed baseline price so far, and it did just got a significant jump.
We're arguing semantics. The point is, UA no longer uses charts. Any reference to a price based upon an old chart is therefore no longer valid. The fact that this increase does not apply to every market in the region is proof of this.

My primary point is that nobody would have created a thread, or commented on it, just because they saw a cash price increase. We need to treat award flights the same way, because that's what UA is doing.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Sorry, don't agree with this at all. MileagePlus markets its points as valuable currency and United makes a lot of money from the program. The idea that the only seats that should be available for awards are "leftover" or "surplus" is a fallacy.
Every seat on a UA-operated flight is available. If you would like to pay fewer miles, your inventory options are smaller, and possibly non-existent. (Although, if you're patient, they may return). There is no fallacy here -- just a difference of opinion, and your opinion, while very pro-consumer, is obviously not shared by UA, based on their actions.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by goodeats21
The idea that the only seats that should be available for awards are "leftover" or "surplus" is a fallacy.

They are available, just not at the traditional economy saver award levels (30k to Europe). On the good flights, these are typically not at saver levels now if searching for the summer. You can still get 40K level each way but expect to stop in Newark etc, which I assume these are still considered somewhat surplus or distressed. From the west coast it's 70K typically for summer of 23. Given that the flights are selling for $1500 plus theres still some value here.

Last edited by escapefromphl; May 3, 2023 at 12:31 pm
Old May 3, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jsloan
My primary point is that nobody would have created a thread, or commented on it, just because they saw a cash price increase. We need to treat award flights the same way, because that's what UA is doing.
Well, one of my first posts on this forum was asking why all the flights to London on a certain day jumped from $3,200 to $4,800 overnight when P inventory still existed. I did not understand the 90 day AP fare rules Similar parallel imo to X fare prices jumping overnight (but hopefully I fares remain stable in price), but obviously not a 1:1 situation. Anyways, i think the whole purpose of this thread is to share a blanket devaluation of UA miles for economy-cabin travel, not whether or not dynamic pricing exists (it does).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.