airline switch recommendations?

Old Mar 28, 15, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Question airline switch recommendations?

I continue to fly UA because of + seating and early board, being MM. I'm doing about 5 Asia trips/yr now in coach, so will never get past UA's $ requirements to make plat. or 1k. Are airline programs such as EVA, SQ, CP better for me?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 28, 15, 12:42 pm

no

Originally Posted by foothill View Post
I continue to fly UA because of + seating and early board, being MM. I'm doing about 5 Asia trips/yr now in coach, so will never get past UA's $ requirements to make plat. or 1k. Are airline programs such as EVA, SQ, CP better for me?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 28, 15, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For free access to extra legroom seating and flying on cheap fares, probably not.
Old Mar 28, 15, 1:54 pm

Depends what you are looking for - the FF programs will not really be that much better, but if you are flying coach the experience will likely be better on EVA, Singapore and Cathay than United. Better service, entertainment, food and generally more on time.
Old Mar 28, 15, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, LATAM Platinum, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
You might want to look at OZ as well. They're a not the best on the earn/burn calculation but they have a two year time frame for status evaluation and almost never play the games that UA does with seats, etc... They're very status conscious for OPUPs but they're generally hard to beat for service, especially compared to UA. It only takes 40K over two years to get Diamond when they start to go out of their way to be extra helpful in flight and on the ground.
Old Mar 29, 15, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ttuna3 View Post
You might want to look at OZ as well. They're a not the best on the earn/burn calculation but they have a two year time frame for status evaluation and almost never play the games that UA does with seats, etc... They're very status conscious for OPUPs but they're generally hard to beat for service, especially compared to UA. It only takes 40K over two years to get Diamond when they start to go out of their way to be extra helpful in flight and on the ground.
It is tempting, but I have several issues with OZ. Their web site is utter junk, I've had problems with adv. seat assignments, and I hate Korean food (though I haven't tried doing special meal). Thanks for the advice, though.
Old Mar 29, 15, 11:02 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned) moving to DL
If I were a MM (which gets you United E+ & early boarding), and if I had a need/desire/occasion to fly 4 segments on Copa (CM) each year, I'd wait for more details of their new FF program to emerge before deciding.

Early indications are 1 mile flown = 1 RDM mile (500 mile minimums), lower mileage thresholds than MP, no PQD requirement, and continued UA saver and standard award availability. The "other shoe" is what their partner earnings chart is going to look like; that has yet to be revealed.

Of course, reaping your MM benefits while crediting to another program may require some "orchestration".
Old Mar 30, 15, 12:08 pm

I'm not sure if I've just been lucky, but my SQ, BR & CX flights have never been as packed as full as UA flights. There's no fighting for overhead space. The benefits of E+ aren't so great, because the probability of having an empty space next to you are much greater. Booze is still complimentary on SQ, BR & CX too. You also won't get charged as much for itinerary changes/cancellations if you need that.
The advantages of early boarding won't be there so I'd be happy to be last to board. It's fourteen+ hours of flying. Do I want to be on board an extra 30 minutes? absolutely no.
If you're flying out of SIN, SQ allows you to check-in 48 hours in advance, enabling use of SIN's transit hotels. The other carriers don't provide that option.
CX yields fewer UA perks, because it's not *A--no more lounge access because of MM. CX lounges are, by the way, very nice.
If you go out of SFO, you can't use the SFO BR lounge unless you're flying BR. That's my favorite lounge at SFO. That's not saying much though and I haven't yet seen the SFO Centurion lounge.

OZ sounds nice to me, but their schedules have never been very good for where I've had to go.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Mar 30, 15 at 12:22 pm
Old Mar 30, 15, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by foothill View Post

Thanks for any advice!
I would recommend looking for a new job instead of a new airline That sounds pretty painful going there that often in coach!

Sounds like a good time to re-evaluate what you want though. I am not sure the Asian FF programs will be all that rewarding but if you can make do with the AA flight options I would go with them for all coach flying at least until if/when they go revenue based as well. 5 coach flights should still be enough to get you up to top tier status or close to it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: