Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade offer is higher than buying First outright

Upgrade offer is higher than buying First outright

Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by physioprof
Lots of great prices on A,P,Z transcon fares lately, although it depends on the specific routes. EWR-SAN has been amazingly cheap, while EWR-SNA is super expensive.
Well, I am very happy about this new development. I have been unable to use my RPUs much this year, and now I can get confirmed in F for the price of a cheap coach fare.^
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was offered a paid upgrade from Business to First on UA 909 ORD-AMS during OLCI for only $6199. I declined. Original ticket was Economy W upgraded with GPU. I was surprised but not delighted.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by u600213
I was offered a paid upgrade from Business to First on UA 909 ORD-AMS during OLCI for only $6199. I declined. Original ticket was Economy W upgraded with GPU. I was surprised but not delighted.
Very similar to my recent experience. Booked W class and was offered LAX-PVG one-way upgrade to BusinessFirst for only $6999. Am waitlisted with a GPU with currently 36 unassigned J seats.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:35 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by u600213
Sure, $6199 seems like a lot of money, but look at it this way: It's only $1.50/mile.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Very similar to my recent experience. Booked W class and was offered LAX-PVG one-way upgrade to BusinessFirst for only $6999. Am waitlisted with a GPU with currently 36 unassigned J seats.
The best part is that these buy ups don't count towards pqd nor a change in fare class.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I recently booked SFO-LHR in A .... return was FRA-SFO, and whatever fare bucket in GF was available, it was $2400 more than D. So, since this was a personal trip, I bought the return in D.

Upgrade offer to GF was $3999 .... and I graciously declined.

As it turned out, my GPU cleared. ^:-:^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
United continues it's ridiculous ways. Offered a pop-up after purchase from SFO-DEN in First for $199. I declined. I immediately went to view my reservation (seconds after completing the purchase and seeing the pop-up and the offer was $129). No consistency on these offers. Plus buying first outright was $328. Since economy is $199 - the buy up after purchase is actually the difference between the economy flight and First class (surely no deal). The pop-up was an attempt to gouge. As usual United should be ashamed. Who would pay more than buying First outright?!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
...Who would pay more than buying First outright?!
A Kettle who doesn't do their homework and recognize the value/cost gap?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
DEN->IAH for 6/5/17. Difference between Economy and First was roughly $150. Upgrade offer at purchase was $1019. Seems a bit excessive.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: united premier exec, hhonors diamond, priority club platinum elite
SFO-SYD $1000 coach seat then an offer of 30,000 miles plus $600 to Polaris...riddle me simple but I took it. 15 hours standing in the back wasn't appealing.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by ManhattanMuse
The attempt by UA to gouge customers isn't surprising at all to me - it's just another symptom of a company that doesn't really care about customers - only money. As the CEO of a company I understand the drive for profits - what I can't understand is how UA seems to justify its actions towards its customers - no matter what.
A sentence from a recent feedback email I sent United:

I implore you to drop all strategies premised on taking advantage of customers as chumps; in the long run they are psychologically toxic.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Sure, $6199 seems like a lot of money, but look at it this way: It's only $1.50/mile.
Or $730/hr. I can think of many things that cost less than $730/hr.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.