Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FCO lounge / connection time / logistics - Domestic & International

Consolidated FCO lounge / connection time / logistics - Domestic & International

Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
I've arrived at FCO on UA from EWR several times in the past few years. There has always been a jetway and I believe that I've seen wheelchairs (but not carts). There is a bit of a walk that involves some stairs/escalators and an automated train (that would be easy to enter and exit in a wheelchair) before getting to passport control. The baggage claim and customs are 50-100 meters further along. You could arrange for a limo service to meet you right outside of customs but the car would likely be parked a bit further away (maybe 200-300 meters) as the airport has recently made it difficult for the drivers to bring their cars near the terminal. Getting to the car would likely require crossing a road either at street level (there is a marked pedestrian crossing) which would, I imagine, not be too much in a wheelchair, or the use of an underpass (that leading to the train station) which has stairs and an escalator. The taxi drivers can wait right outside the terminal so that may be a better option. There usually are plenty of taxis available. Does UA offer anything to expedite all of this for GF customers?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Rome Arrival Shower

Flying business and we land in Rome in the morning after connecting at EWR. We can't check into our Aribnb until the afternoon. Is their a lounge we can use for a shower before we go off to explore the city? Before or after passport control? Thanks!

Bonus question - Can we bring in guests flying economy?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The UA BF Arrivals using airport hotels at some airports (such as FCO) has been discontinued - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...continued.html
Old May 7, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The UA BF Arrivals using airport hotels at some airports (such as FCO) has been discontinued - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...continued.html
Wow that's a bummer. So there's not even a partner lounge we could use?
Old May 7, 2016, 5:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Wow that's a bummer. So there's not even a partner lounge we could use?
Most lounges are departure only and are inside security. As an arriving passenger you will not be able access or use those lounges. When you depart FCO you will have access to a (contracted, I believe) business class lounge. There are no partner lounges just the contracted lounges.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:16 am

Showers at Rome airport - arriving on United

We're arriving on United into Rome (business class; United Club membership) and trying to figure out whether there are showers available airside. (We're going straight into the city, so no connection and no access to the Schengen area.) Does anyone know of any options? Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Usually, the first thing that one has to do after a TATL arrival is clear customs and immigration. Then you are no longer airside. Unless you have a connecting ticket, you'd be looking for shower facilities land side. Unfortunately, UA has ended its arrivals shower program in Europe.

See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...continued.html
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:49 am

Yeah, I saw that about the end of the arrivals program. Just trying to figure out if there's any way to get into a lounge for a quick shower...
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:51 am

Landing in Rome from U.S.

Kryssa - Were you able to find a place for a shower at the Rome airport after landing from the U.S.? We're going to be coming in from D.C., and are trying to track down the same thing... Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eshumsky
Yeah, I saw that about the end of the arrivals program. Just trying to figure out if there's any way to get into a lounge for a quick shower...
My advice is to connect through MUC, FRA, ZRH, or LHR. Then you get breakfast and a shower in a LH or LX or UA lounge in between the TATL flight and your cnx to FCO.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Day room?

Frankfurt, gateway to many smaller cities in Europe (e.g. Florence) has several excellent on-airport hotels with day rooms. I consider these an outstanding value, an error term on arranging a BusinessFirst bed for the transatlantic flight. A shower following by a three hour nap in a private room, followed by an onward connection, beats any club in my opinion. Forced to choose between BusinessFirst for the flight itself and an arrival morning in a day room, that's a tough call. The day room is a better value. If I can clear a GPU, great, but I'd rather spend money on restaurants on the ground.

ICN Seoul even has day rooms inside security. One could pad to the next gate in a bathrobe, like Tony Soprano checking for his paper. I once faced a pair of red-eyes returning via ICN from Thailand, and these day rooms were crucial to my well-being.

Are there options like this in FCO Rome airport? I plan to visit this fall.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:43 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Did you know that SPG Platinum members can access the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton even without staying there?

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irport-lounge/

Perhaps this could be a useful option.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
As a 1K flying in first to Rome, can I really get into the Alitalia lounge?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
As a 1K flying in first to Rome, can I really get into the Alitalia lounge?
Edited to say:

Guess UA uses a contract lounge, so it will get you into SkyTeam lounge

Last edited by EmailKid; Oct 30, 2016 at 4:46 pm Reason: Didn't realize UA uses contract lounge
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
That's really what I thought, but saw this and was still skeptical:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ations/bf.aspx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.