Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What are the plans to replace the lousy 2-4-2 Business Cabin on the PMUA 777?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the plans to replace the lousy 2-4-2 Business Cabin on the PMUA 777?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:01 pm

There we go - and the next step would be the equivalent of Japanese capsule hotel beds

Originally Posted by sbm12
You mean like stacking/staggering the seats on top of each other?
[images removed]
PR and AT are flying with these seats IIRC.

And we're just a few weeks away from the annual unveiling of crazy ideas from the seat vendors in Hamburg. I cannot wait.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 22, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
There we go - and the next step would be the equivalent of Japanese capsule hotel beds
Lol - no that's too comfortable and too much space! Japanese efficienct isn't a UA strength in any way!!!!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
I'm not sure what your intent is.

My point was that foreign airlines that offer better product may not be accountable to a broad base of shareholders and can focus on markets are rather than earnings. The U.S. carriers have no such opportunity.
And some of them apparently are getting billions upon billions in direct government subsidies to boot.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: MileagePlus GS
I have only been on the pUA 777 with 2-4-2 in Business twice and although I had a window on both trips, I really felt squished and found the overall feel of the cabin to be quite claustrophobic and cheap.

The upgrade discussion is interesting, but ultimately it boils down to what customers are willing to pay. If I cannot afford Business and rely on upgrade instruments then the more seats the better, regardless of configuration because anything is better than Y on 10-14 hours routes.

In terms of paid comfort, I fly on Singapore Air to Sydney 3-4 times a year in Business and although their set is too wide and somewhat hard when flipped over for the flatbed, the cabin on their 773's is spacious, quiet and elegant. There are reduced overhead bins to make the cabin feel taller, mood lighting, and with 1-2-1, the flying experience is great.

I hope UA finds some middle ground and also explores the possibility of 2-2-2 with aisle access on all seats. This might be a good option as 1-2-1 in all their planes might drive revenue down.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
You mean like stacking/staggering the seats on top of each other?

And we're just a few weeks away from the annual unveiling of crazy ideas from the seat vendors in Hamburg. I cannot wait.
Are you attending the Hamburg event?

Thanks for posting that pic. I couldn't even have imagined such a thing.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Thanks for posting that pic. I couldn't even have imagined such a thing.
Why not? Railways, ships, and even buses have offered triple bunk berths in their economy sleeper services. I'd gladly take such a 'couchette' in the sky over a coach seat for 14 hours!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
And some of them apparently are getting billions upon billions in direct government subsidies to boot.
In comments like this it's hard to know which carriers the poster is talking about -- the US3, the EU3, or the ME3.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by mduell
In comments like this it's hard to know which carriers the poster is talking about -- the US3, the EU3, or the ME3.
Exactly - and i presume the poster belongs in the guilty until proven innocent crowd - lol...
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
I'm not sure what your intent is.

My point was that foreign airlines that offer better product may not be accountable to a broad base of shareholders and can focus on markets are rather than earnings. The U.S. carriers have no such opportunity.
1. US carriers have received massive amounts of funds/support care of the US tax payers. Both UA and CO would have gone out of business had it not been for implicit and/or explicit support from tax payers.

2. Being accountable to shareholders does not absolve you from being accountable to your customers - after all, they are central to earnings.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by username
Does anyone know the reduction numbers? Maybe 30%? It will further hurt upgrade chances and C award availability, I guess?
I don't think that is possible.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by mduell
I was just having this discussion with a friend who's a pilot for one of the US3. The simple answer (maybe not the OP's) is all of the above. Don't forget the APAC10 (or so).

Ultimately I don't care much who's flag is on my plane (or who's government feels compelled to subsidize my travels), but I'll sleep fine on my next two trips home to the US on non-US carriers (one Middle East and one Asian), knowing that I don't have a middle seat.

I do sympathize a bit with UA on now being punished for being out of cycle. When they went flat bed, everyone else (US flagged at least) was flying barcoloungers. What they offered was pretty impressive for a U.S. carrier. The rollout costs are huge as pointed out. I'm sure they will update at some point, but they're now out of sync with their main US competitors.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
1. US carriers have received massive amounts of funds/support care of the US tax payers. Both UA and CO would have gone out of business had it not been for implicit and/or explicit support from tax payers.

2. Being accountable to shareholders does not absolve you from being accountable to your customers - after all, they are central to earnings.
I'm not saying a public company shouldn't be accountable to its customers; however, what most advocate on FlyerTalk is offering a superior product at a subsidized price to customers who may only be interested in paying the lowest price. Some foreign airlines can do that because their shareholders are focused on growth and local economic development, not earnings.

The U.S. majors are improving their hard product and UAL is in the process of selecting a new C seat that will likely jump the current generation seats at AA and DAL.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
I do sympathize a bit with UA on now being punished for being out of cycle. When they went flat bed, everyone else (US flagged at least) was flying barcoloungers. What they offered was pretty impressive for a U.S. carrier. The rollout costs are huge as pointed out. I'm sure they will update at some point, but they're now out of sync with their main US competitors.
Isn't that the normal cycle of capital improvements? They have to be done, and redone, and redone again. The question is how frequently.

UA likely benefited for years when they had lie flats while others did not.

AA put their angle flat iteration of business in place just before flatbeds started to become common. They probably had the worst timing of the U.S. carriers.

When CO stared putting flatbeds in place, direct aisle via staggered had already started (LX, NH), so some of UA's lack of direct aisle access could have been avoided. UA was mostly done with flatbeds at that point, and the 4-pack 777/747 configuration was locked in. That said, the 2-pack on the windows is less of a crime than the 4-pack in the center, IMO.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by channa
AA put their angle flat iteration of business in place just before flatbeds started to become common. They probably had the worst timing of the U.S. carriers.
Interesting. When was this?

When CO started putting flatbeds in place, direct aisle via staggered had already started (LX, NH), so some of UA's lack of direct aisle access could have been avoided. UA was mostly done with flatbeds at that point, and the 4-pack 777/747 configuration was locked in.
Interesting. When was this?

Three interesting observations about bad timing. Fascinating, captain!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Some foreign airlines can do that because their shareholders are focused on growth and local economic development, not earnings.
this is a very important point that many ignore. The ME3 have shareholders, but those shareholders are their governments. Those governments have much broader agendas (tourism, economic development, etc...). These are not malicious agendas, but drive business decisions that wouldn't be made by the companies if they were accountable to Wall Street on a quarterly basis.

Long term, I don't think EK has any interest in subsidizing people flying between the U.S. and Milan (which has the US3's panties in a bunch). Those fares will eventually float based on market demand.

To tie it back to the current dicsussion, longer term, I expect non-DXB routes on EK (as an example) to cost a lot more than the US carriers as the product is simply better and there is no incentive to subsidize.

A question- if so many are worked up over it, why not fly someone else? Status means a lot less if you're flying in C already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.