Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What are the plans to replace the lousy 2-4-2 Business Cabin on the PMUA 777?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the plans to replace the lousy 2-4-2 Business Cabin on the PMUA 777?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Longboater
another boneheaded move by Smisek and Co
They might surprise you with a herringbone-headed move
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by br2k
I would guess that they are filled up in the last 48 hours with people using various forms of upgrade which probably don't pay quite as much as a full business fare.
Sunday and Monday flights to Europe seem to me to get filled up with paying pax. Part of the yield management equation is that day-of-week is important and you really have to stay on top of destination, time of year, day of week, time of day, etc. You don't have infinite variability in gauge and if UA is like AA you don't control the schedule and fleet utilization - that's done by another department. You just have to sell out the seats that they put in the schedule.

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Unless you are in the middle, the pmUA J seats offers much more foot space that the pmCO B'F' seat which makes sleeping much easier for those with feet larger than size 4.
I think the key is being a side-sleeper, angling your legs asymmetrically to stagger your feet, and pointing your toes like a ballerina "en pointe".

Either that or make sure you get a bulkhead seat since it has the wider footwell.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, I'm quite certain that having all intercontinental flights offer flat beds in business class well ahead of the competition was a "boneheaded move."
To be precise, pmUA embarked on putting flat beds on all international flights before the merger, so Smisek can't take credit for that one.

He can take credit for continuing to install a now-obsolete J seat, however.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by halls120
To be precise, pmUA embarked on putting flat beds on all international flights before the merger, so Smisek can't take credit for that one.

He can take credit for continuing to install a now-obsolete J seat, however.
UA also stopped before the merger to save cash. Choosing to finish the job rather than start anew was, IMO, the more practical choice. The seats are neither the best nor the worst in the market. They keep a higher density which allows more to be sold and the company didn't have to spend millions extra per plane to remove the already installed seats. Also, even at the end of the install process UA (or today) UA is ahead of many competitors in offering lie-flat biz seats on all long-haul flights.

The costs associated with changing out the seats every 3 years as something new comes along are significant. Every carrier makes a huge investment when deciding to buy in to a product and the development life cycle is not short. It is not like an individual buying a new big screen TV each year for $1000 because they like the new features.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
UA also stopped before the merger to save cash. Choosing to finish the job rather than start anew was, IMO, the more practical choice. The seats are neither the best nor the worst in the market. They keep a higher density which allows more to be sold and the company didn't have to spend millions extra per plane to remove the already installed seats. Also, even at the end of the install process UA (or today) UA is ahead of many competitors in offering lie-flat biz seats on all long-haul flights.

The costs associated with changing out the seats every 3 years as something new comes along are significant. Every carrier makes a huge investment when deciding to buy in to a product and the development life cycle is not short. It is not like an individual buying a new big screen TV each year for $1000 because they like the new features.
+1 - Agree in principal. The only issue I have with this perspective is that the investment in upgrades to business class product are a capital expense and have zero impact on reported earnings. UA has decided that instead of investing in the future of business class travel with their cash they have decided that what they have is good enough - and also take every chance to attack competion (i.e. the G3) that have a signifcantly better product. It seems that UA has decided that they have better uses for their capital than investing in their product (and their future). I believe that in the long run this will be one of the final nails in their coffin...
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:06 am

I'm not suggesting that UA rip out the pmUA IPTE seats on the 777s and 767s, or on the sCO 777s and 764s. I do question why they would not have developed a better and more modern seat for the 787, an aircraft that is going to be around for the next 20 years.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
In response to a few comments, I'll put it this way. Delta is in the process of selecting a next generation 1-2-1 J class seat for their A350-900s, arriving in two years. This seat will likely be installed on their 777s, replacing the first generation of 1-2-1 seating which was first unveiled seven years ago. Considering Delta is probably going to replace their first generation of direct aisle access seats with a new one shows you how far behind United is. While those testing the new seats didn't mention anything revolutionary, the fact that Delta wants to be up to date on 1-2-1 seating in J, shows you where their priorities are. Also considering the potential reduction in J class seating for the transition from a 2-4-2 format to a 1-2-1 format. Delta was able to fit the same number of J class seats on the A330 in the same space as when they inherited NW's 2-2-2 J class. Delta has chosen to reduce the number of J class not as a result of the 1-2-1 format, but rather increase the load factor of J and sell more seats in the rear. Keep in mind Delta only gives out 4 SWUs to DMs as an option, albeit without fare restrictions, and one can only upgrade with miles on M Class fares or above.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by channa
It's competition and product evolution. At some point, customers who pay attention to these things will book away, and it will start costing them (if it hasn't already). That's where the money comes from. UA could run an Icelandair-style Business Class if they wanted to (like a domestic First class seat). They wouldn't get the same money they do today if they did that, though.
while I agree with you (don't fall off your chair), making a move simply b/c a competitor does it that will generate less revenue isn't necessarily something to jump at. And given the demand to increase revenue without added expense, or operating something when you can generate more revenue as is (or elsewhere.....BKK) is what the current state of the airline is in.

as for customer moving elsewhere, I struggle at finding available business class seats.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
What are the plans to replace the lousy 2-4-2 Busness Cabin on the PMUA 777?

Be careful what you wish for. While new, nicer J seats on the pmUA 777 would be great, installing them may mean fewer seats for upgrades.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I'm so sick of the complaining comparing the PMUA C-Class seat - even in the middle -- to economy class by those who do not pay for their tickets.

Really?

It is still better than the the AA J-seat still present in in most of its 77s and lack of floor space aside, remains quite comfortable in a sitting and sleeping position. For those who don't have company-paid travel, it also allows for a relatively easy upgrade...a proposition that would be dashed if 2-4-2 went to 1-2-1.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
For those who don't have company-paid travel, it also allows for a relatively easy upgrade...a proposition that would be dashed if 2-4-2 went to 1-2-1.
Don't agree with this at all as the assumption that there would be less J seats available for potential upgrade simply isn't true! Other carriers have managed to maintain approoriate J density by converting to 1-2-1 - UA can do the same....
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm so sick of the complaining comparing the PMUA C-Class seat - even in the middle -- to economy class by those who do not pay for their tickets.

Really?

It is still better than the the AA J-seat still present in in most of its 77s and lack of floor space aside, remains quite comfortable in a sitting and sleeping position. For those who don't have company-paid travel, it also allows for a relatively easy upgrade...a proposition that would be dashed if 2-4-2 went to 1-2-1.
The whole concept of your money vs other peoples money is ridiculous. It is still my butt in that seat whomever paid for it.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:56 am

Really?

true... UA's C is still okay... but when I'm paying for my own ticket and I don't need to sleep, I'd rather buy true premium economy.(most carriers have 2-4-2 premium economy seats on 777 and 747)
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Help me understand how a conversion from 2-4-2 to 1-2-1 makes economic sense. I'm no math expert, but isn't that equivalent to reducing the number of seats by 50%? Would UA double the ticket price? I'm confused.
Originally Posted by CALMSP
are passengers willing to pay an additional $1,000 per seat? I'm guessing not necessarily. If UA is generating revenue on this seat configuration, why would they reduce the cabin only to obtain the same price for that seat? UA would end up losing revenue unless each ticket price increased.
The competition has 1-2-1. It is the new industry standard. And the competition charges less than UA.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
For Upgrades it's OK

I agree if paying full fare business the 2-4-2 layout stinks. However, when trying to upgrade from Y as a 1K I am fine with it. Not ideal but acceptable. What would be nice is if United did a true premium economy on long haul that was 2-4-2 layout with slightly wider seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.