Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with NYC-S.Africa/LVI, Feb'16

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Help with NYC-S.Africa/LVI, Feb'16

Looking to go to S. Africa, 4 people, 2/11/16-2/20/16, mostly on *A.

Tentative itinerary

NYC-CAI (11 hr stopover to see the pyramids)-JNB-CPT, 3 nights in CPT
CPT-MQP (Kruger) cash flight ($200), 3 nights in MQP
MQP-LVI (Victoria Falls), cash flight ($300), 2 nights in LVI
LVi-JNB-?-NYC

can any of the cash flights be added to the awards as segments?
UA shows no service to MQP, even though it's served by its partner SA.

An alternative to Kruger MQP would be Muan Botswana MUB. UA shows no service to MUB even though it's served by its partner SA.
Would that be a workable itinerary too?

If the cash flights cannot be added as segments, are there ways to book them as awards?

are there other alliance alternatives that should be looked at? I don't have much in Skyteam, but I'm fairly flush in OW.

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Do a search in this forum for JNB and CPT flights. There is lots of good advice available which has already been written. Bear in mind that not all award flights are bookable online so you might also have to call. Also for your stop in CAI don't forget that a new visa requirement is going into effect soon unless you are part of a group tour. It's often inexpensive to buy internal flight in South Africa on the 2 low cost carriers that operate there: Mango & Kulula.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The smaller airports like MQP and HDS are served by South African Airlink and South African Express which are sort of SAA and sort of not. I don't think you'll be able to get them via United in any way that you try.

As FLYDCA said you can get pretty cheap intra-ZA flights. Enjoy Kruger!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help.
Kruger doesn't seem to be served by either of those carriers, not to MQP or SZK.
Airlink shows the same pricing as Kayak - $235-280 one-way.
I don't think that's cheap - unless I am missing something.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Depending on your Kruger trip, you might consider driving from JNB. Its not too far and for a group, can be much cheaper than flying. Hotels in Kruger will sometimes meet guests and/or arrange transport for you if you don't feel like renting a car.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What about flying to HDS? I fly into MQP stayed at Londolozi for 4 nights then went TK Ngala for 2 and flew out of HDS.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:43 pm

If you fly into Krueger, I recommend Skukuza airport. It's right inside the park, close to Sabi Sands and it's a beautiful airport. I flew SA airlink from CPT and while it was not cheap ($200+), it was an enjoyable flight with tasty meal and free drinks.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I'd watch for the $2400 C-class flights to South Africa from YYZ which are always on sale in 1Q ... plenty of stopovers free as well. The 2015 sale just ended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.