Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Espresso Machines on pmCO Widebody and pmUA 2 Cabin 763's discontinued April 1, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Espresso Machines on pmCO Widebody and pmUA 2 Cabin 763's discontinued April 1, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:49 am

Anther change we will like.

Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:26 am

Could UA have decided to remove them from the planes but redeploy them in the UA Clubs?

This eliminates the need to write them off. Saving costs by not carrying that extra weight in the plane. And allows for alignment of consistent product in BF across all planes. Self-service means guests can use at their leisure without adding labor costs/duties. And, adds to the F&B value in UA clubs which would be in-line with recent announcements and rollout of upgraded food.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DBCme
Could UA have decided to remove them from the planes but redeploy them in the UA Clubs?

This eliminates the need to write them off. Saving costs by not carrying that extra weight in the plane. And allows for alignment of consistent product in BF across all planes. Self-service means guests can use at their leisure without adding labor costs/duties. And, adds to the F&B value in UA clubs which would be in-line with recent announcements and rollout of upgraded food.
Consistent product? Is consistency at the lowest level a good thing?

Put the machines in the United Clubs (what marketing genius came up with that name? Probably the same one who thought BusinessFirst on a three class of service (for now) airline was brilliant . . .)?

United cuts its way to profitability. UA takes away; it doesn't give.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by DBCme

Would be cool if it worked that way, but no. UA Clubs are slated to all have espresso machines eventually.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:55 am

Flyer Friendly indeed.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I get the need for a consistent product; however it wasn't consistently offered so I don't really believe people flying sUA aircraft were complaining because they thought they were going to be on sCO aircraft that offered the machines. Is it that huge of a deal that I won't be able to order an espresso in lieu of the crap coffee? Probably not, but it's just the appearance of stripping away without actually investing back in the product. If there was a net gain, then fine, but it never seems to be the case.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 22, 2015 at 10:16 am Reason: removed off topic comments
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
one more reason to avoid flying UA metal as much as possible. The espresso on LX and other fine carriers is one of many reasons why I prefer them over UA metal
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Really taking the espresso machines off the aircraft is foretelling of what they are doing with GF. So they stopped marketing/offering passengers the cappuccino, usage went down, and then they can justify pulling them off because the low uptake didn't justify the cost of offering it in the first place. They are essentially doing the same....they are killing off what could be a great product to the point where the extra revenue isn't offsetting the cost of offering a differentiated product. Then they will come out and say "our customers indicated they would prefer a more consistent BF experience and we are eliminating our GF product to focus our efforts on our BF service," but not do much more than a lot of fanfare for a lackluster product.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 22, 2015 at 10:19 am Reason: removed quote of deleted post and response to deleted quoted post
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
That's all it is... cheapness. Nothing more. Any other explanation is bogus.

I'll never understand why the international premium products need to be the subject of cost cutting.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Can't they get some sort of tie in with Nespresso at least? Easy to use, most Americans who aren't familar with "real" coffee know about it.
UA nixed the tie-in they had with Starbucks; I can't imagine them spinning up a deal with something even more premium than Starbucks.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kluau88
The reasoning I was told for the removal of these machines and service was due to reliability issues.
Good, in that case, I'll expect a marked downturn in the postings about these birds in the INTL delays and cancellations thread.

Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca
UA nixed the tie-in they had with Starbucks; I can't imagine them spinning up a deal with something even more premium than Starbucks.
Not to sound like a Polyanna, but didn't UA Insider mention there were (positive) changes coming to the coffee program?

If they're pulling the cappuccino machines to make room for a Nespresso machine .....
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Not to sound like a Polyanna, but didn't UA Insider mention there were (positive) changes coming to the coffee program?

If they're pulling the cappuccino machines to make room for a Nespresso machine .....
While we are dreaming about deluxe coffee makers in the sky, perhaps they could install one of these babies to replace the unreliable espresso makers:

Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
United owes its obligations to it shareholders--not its passengers. United is good enough.
United owes it obligations to it's passengers. Without passengers, there will be no shareholders.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
It is making profits. Why would they give something away for free? That doesn't make good business sense.
They're not giving it away for "free". It's part of the product proposition paid for by the customer. Along with "free" food in First Class. Or "free" booze. If it is your argument that UA should charge for everything - even in GlobalFirst, I'd question your business sense.

Originally Posted by Always Flying
The self-loading freight should stop whining. Sounds like a bunch of over-entitled elites to me.
Not sure which industry you work in, but it is typically a pretty slippery slope for a company to regard their customers as "self entitled whiners" and have this level of contempt for their (most frequent or loyal) customers. YMMV.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Not sure which industry you work in, but it is typically a pretty slippery slope for a company to regard their customers as "self entitled whiners" and have this level of contempt for their (most frequent or loyal) customers. YMMV.
The poster was in-part literally quoting UA senior management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.