Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Regaining Premier Gold Status with second status match?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

I've been a United flyer for 14 years and have been consistently Premier Executive status.

However in 2014 (for miles flown in 2013) I lost it due to change of jobs; so i asked for a status match based on AA miles flown and was granted however again due to a change of jobs, i did not achieve PE, but Silver.

So this year, i'm on a good trajectory to achieve PE by Q3 and i asked UA in Q1 for a 90-day challenge and they've denied me stating i can only request it 1-time/5 years.

Is there anything i can do? Do they care for my years of loyalty?

Tom

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2015 at 8:33 pm Reason: Modified title to reflect proper name
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tschapira
Do they care for my years of loyalty?
Yes, it probably does, but in a way the loyalty hurts you. Status matching / challenges have the highest ROI when given to someone who does not fly UA, but has the potential to drive revenue to UA. In your case, you've already shown a certain loyalty to UA and are likely already giving them the bulk of your revenue. So why would UA want to incur the expense of making you a Premier Exec when you're already inclined to give them your business (as proven by your history of loyalty / status level)?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
United Continental Holdings cares what you give them TODAY.

and FWIW, there's no Premier Executive anymore. They created a substitute status called "Premier Gold" which gets you free E+ like 1P did, but a reduced mileage bonus and no special service like 1P.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:28 am

Do they care for my years of loyalty?

Tom

The answer is a big fat "NO"! They don't care about anything except your money.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
I feel for you, but you gotta do the BIS time. Also, unless you're a segment warrior, you should be closing in on 1MM, right? So you got that going for you.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
It can often be cheaper and more rewarding to purchase the benefits you want or need ala carte each time you fly. The world of loyalty has changed and it's not always as beneficial to chase status like it once was. What benefits are you after?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...So this year, i'm on a good trajectory to achieve PE by Q3 and i asked UA in Q1 for a 90-day challenge and they've denied me stating i can only request it 1-time/5 years....
This is to keep people from serially requesting, and not fulfilling, status matches. That last thing United wants to do is grant is multiple years of status to people that don't qualify for status. Sorry, but you had your chance. It does seem like you will get your status eventually via regular means. Your years of status don't mean anything until you get to 1MM - then UA will give you something for past years of flying. Until then, it's "What are you doing for us now?". In your status challenge, you did very little for them and apparently your flying outside of the status period in 2014 didn't even add to that.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Related question here -- I had 1k for a few years but lost it for 2015. However, as of 3/20/15, I am already at full Gold (60 segments) -- are you saying I can call and ask them to restore me to 1k on a 90-day challenge?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by caiken
Related question here -- I had 1k for a few years but lost it for 2015. However, as of 3/20/15, I am already at full Gold (60 segments) -- are you saying I can call and ask them to restore me to 1k on a 90-day challenge?
OP was matching to their AA status, which I'm assuming is Platinum.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been a United flyer for 14 years and have been consistently Premier Executive status.

However in 2014 (for miles flown in 2013) I lost it due to change of jobs; so i asked for a status match based on AA miles flown and was granted however again due to a change of jobs, i did not achieve PE, but Silver.

So this year, i'm on a good trajectory to achieve PE by Q3 and i asked UA in Q1 for a 90-day challenge and they've denied me stating i can only request it 1-time/5 years.

Is there anything i can do? Do they care for my years of loyalty?

Tom
A couple things, Do they care for your loyalty? Based on the fact you status matched from AA then did not fly enough to maintain it says you are not loyal, you left.

Also, there has been no PE status for 3 years now, it was split into 2 different statuses when UA and CO merged, Gold for 50K-74999 and Platinum for 75K-99999. This also kind of says you are not a currently loyal flier as you are using old pmUA terminology that has been gone for 3 years.

And it is true, you can only request a challenge/match 1 time in 5 years. So your only option is to fly the miles.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP might be as bad a candidate as there is for a status match. UA is gonna wait and see that he actually qualifies this time.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Yes, unless you've done another challenge with UA in the last 5 years.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Yes, unless you've done another challenge with UA in the last 5 years.
Typically status challenges are based on having status with a non-*A airline. Typically a UA elite can not get a status challenge based solely on UA status.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Typically status challenges are based on having status with a non-*A airline. Typically a UA elite can not get a status challenge based solely on UA status.
If he just dropped a status level w/UA this year, I thought a 90 day mile/money challenge up to a previous level was rather easy to obtain?
(I was granted it once and haven't needed to ask since)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 2015 at 8:48 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
If he just dropped a status level w/UA this year, I thought a 90 day mile/money challenge up to a previous level was rather easy to obtain?...
The January status buy-ups are common --- but believe mid-year challenges for high status based only on UA history are not regularly offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.