Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Can United Continental Beat Its Bad Reputation?" - Investopedia

"Can United Continental Beat Its Bad Reputation?" - Investopedia

Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater
At this rate, American and US Air will be fully integrated before United and Continental. Just the name United Continental Holdings is misleading. American Airlines Group only brings the word Group from US Airways Group. But its CLEARLY American Airlines rather than two separate airlines.
Originally Posted by channa
I don't think it's misleading at all. In fact, it's quite accurate.
I can't stand the name either. Long live
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:55 pm

The contract staff has no incentive to go out of their way . And with UA contracting out more stations , this is the problem.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by channa
Even if they:
- Got rid of Smisek & crew
- Reverted MP to the more customer friendly program it once was, and fixed redemption issues
- Got rid of SHARES and replaced it with something more efficient
- Empowered staff to fix and accommodate things
- Had empowered customer service to resolve and handle issues
- Improved food/bev for high-level Premiers on board
- Restored better quality booze in the club
- Fixed the TODs/upgrade issue to have better delivery on upgrades
- Added PTVs to all (or most) of the planes
- Came up with a new logo and brand (the new United)
- Gave bonus miles to win people back.
This is a great list - UAL Flyertalk summarized. Not holding my breath however. Even implementing some of these would go along way.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Part of the problem is the concept of customer valuation. UA (and other carriers) wants to have its cake and eat it too - instead of valuing a customer at the macro level (PQD spend, miles flown, influence, etc), they want to also value a customer at the micro level (what did you pay for THIS ticket TODAY).

This is why it's doubtful we will ever see generalized cost-impacted improvements to the inflight experience for Elite customers in the form of a free BOB item, a free drink, etc. and we're barely hanging on to non cost impacted benefits like free E+ access, Premier benefits, etc. and being screwed by the TOD upgrade process that was changed from what CO promised into a non-transparent we see today.

In UA's version of the industry, every benefit has a cost, whether it's an actual financial cost or an opportunity cost. Anything given to an Elite has a time-sensitive opportunity cost that applies at the micro customer valuation and should be offered for a fee to a Kettle before it is given to an Elite, or alongside Elites which dilutes their experience because according to UA management, Elites are annoying pests to be tolerated rather than embraced.

Of course UA isn't the only airline that does this - AA regularly sells Group 1 boarding access for a fee - but I feel it's time we get back to the basics and outlaw the practice of charging customers fees outside the price of the ticket because it's now the airlines that need to be forcibly weaned from their sense of entitlement which is spiraling more out of control with every year.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Of course UA isn't the only airline that does this - AA regularly sells Group 1 boarding access for a fee - but I feel it's time we get back to the basics and outlaw the practice of charging customers fees outside the price of the ticket because it's now the airlines that need to be forcibly weaned from their sense of entitlement which is spiraling more out of control with every year.
Slight difference though.

AA Group 1 (where the credit card holders also go) come after all elites, but before the rest of the kettles.

For UA, anyone who purchases Premier Access or has the credit card goes to Group 2, which is lumped with Silvers and Golds

UA lumps their Platinum tier (75K) with 1Ks and First/Biz classes all into Group 1, which, depending on where you stand in the pecking order, could be love it or hate it.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by tuolumne
I can't stand the name either. Long live
I know how you feel.

I still type ual.com
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Part of the problem is the concept of customer valuation. UA (and other carriers) wants to have its cake and eat it too - instead of valuing a customer at the macro level (PQD spend, miles flown, influence, etc), they want to also value a customer at the micro level (what did you pay for THIS ticket TODAY).

This is why it's doubtful we will ever see generalized cost-impacted improvements to the inflight experience for Elite customers in the form of a free BOB item, a free drink, etc. and we're barely hanging on to non cost impacted benefits like free E+ access, Premier benefits, etc. and being screwed by the TOD upgrade process that was changed from what CO promised into a non-transparent we see today.

In UA's version of the industry, every benefit has a cost, whether it's an actual financial cost or an opportunity cost. Anything given to an Elite has a time-sensitive opportunity cost that applies at the micro customer valuation and should be offered for a fee to a Kettle before it is given to an Elite, or alongside Elites which dilutes their experience because according to UA management, Elites are annoying pests to be tolerated rather than embraced.

exactly . customers are an annoyance at best to UA.
Case in point, how many times have we caught UA lying about the reasoning behind a delay lately so they have to get out of compensation, knowing most customers don't have the ability to counter that and cost them more.

(I, for example, have caught them red-handed three times this year, and never gotten more than a "thanks we will submit this for internal review")
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ACVBear
exactly . customers are an annoyance at best to UA.
I don't think that's the case. I think they just don't like Elites. They've practically said as much too.

We don't pay for call center fees, for bags, for E+, etc., and we get extra miles, possible upgrades, etc. UA sees that as revenue leakage when an Elite buys a ticket. They would much rather sell to a non-Elite who is more likely to pay for these extras, rather than give away perks that are given away free to Elites. The problem is that with those perks, that Elite brings with him a multiplier of repeat business, which is typically not present in the non-statused customer.

It's no different than how some companies view employees -- a company can view its employees as human assets who receive a competitive salary, a benefits package, and other perks, so that they can retain quality individuals and make their business prosper. Or, they can view employees as a costly liability that does work they could source elsewhere for less.

I think we know what UA's position is on that one as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.