Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passenger disturbance on UA1074 IAD-DEN -- returned to IAD 16 March 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT

Just saw this posted to reddit less than an hour ago. Apparently some guy attempted to breach the cockpit of a DEN bound flight from IAD.

Really don't know more, seems he was thwarted IMMEDIATLEY by passengers. Videos on YouTube.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comment...flight_out_of/

Last edited by goalie; Mar 17, 2015 at 9:46 am Reason: fixed spelling in title
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like UA 1074 was diverted back to IAD.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Delayed due to "operational difficulties". Indeed. Good to see it'll actually make it out tonight, though.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Airlines Flight Returns to Dulles After Disturbance
AP/ABC New
A United Airlines spokesman says a flight headed from Washington, D.C., to Denver had to return to Dulles International Airport after a passenger failed to comply with crew instructions.
Spokesman Luke Punzenberger said in an emailed statement that Flight 1074 returned after takeoff Monday evening. He says local law enforcement met the aircraft at the gate and detained the passenger. His statement did not provide further details about what happened on board the Boeing 737.
Odd FlightAware (time stamp for replacement flight? flight path seems to show a return to IAD) but FlightStats reports diversion.

Additional report: 9NEWS (Denver) Denver-bound flight turned back after disturbance

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2015 at 11:21 pm Reason: 9NEWS (Denver) link
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wow, glad everyone's OK.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Glad everyone is ok. They are reporting only 33 people were on the flight
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Both CNN and Fox are reporting that he was yelling "jihad" and said there were "jihadists" in the cargo hold.

Looks like a great job by passengers and crew to take control of the situation and remain calm in a pretty scary situation.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Madone59
Glad everyone is ok. They are reporting only 33 people were on the flight
Not surprised. That late flight to Denver is usually pretty empty, this just seems to be an extreme case.

Great job by the crew and passengers in an unpleasant situation.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JBord
Both CNN and Fox are reporting that he was yelling "jihad" and said there were "jihadists" in the cargo hold.

Looks like a great job by passengers and crew to take control of the situation and remain calm in a pretty scary situation.
CNN is covering this extensively but I haven't noticed anything on Fox when I channel surf.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
CNN is covering this extensively but I haven't noticed anything on Fox when I channel surf.
Foxnews.com had the story when I checked earlier today.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Here's a link to the Washington Post article. tls

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...8ff_story.html
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
CNN.com actually has animation of a plane taking off, a pax running up the aisle, and of the plane pulling up to the gate with emergency vehicles pulling up. All animated. Good grief.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
One problem is that there never seems to be a severe consequence for this. I often hear or read about these things but don't hear much about people being locked up for it. I would think that behavior sufficient to divert a flight should be considered a felony with some mandatory prison time. That may slow it down a bit.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
One problem is that there never seems to be a severe consequence for this. I often hear or read about these things but don't hear much about people being locked up for it. I would think that behavior sufficient to divert a flight should be considered a felony with some mandatory prison time. That may slow it down a bit.
We don't have enough information yet to make that determination. If he was an evildoer, then if I were King he would be charged with one count of terrorism for every pax he terrorized.

If he was mentally ill, then he needs to be treated on that level but never again allowed to fly. Ever.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JackE
If he was mentally ill, then he needs to be treated on that level but never again allowed to fly. Ever.
Ever? A bit OT, perhaps, but mental illness can be treated as successfully as other illnesses. Depends on what the problem is.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Mar 19, 2015 at 3:32 am Reason: Correct grammar/typo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.