Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No assignable seats in F but have reservation (or can still purchase a seat)? 752/772

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
16 premium cabin 752 -- for certain routes ( including Hawaii) seats 4AB will be blocked from seat assignment until check-in. So it is possible to hold a reservation or purchase tickets and not be able to get seat assignments until check-in. This is not an oversold situation but rather an artifact that plane is sometimes used for TATL routes and 4AB will be blocked for crew rest on those flights.
Print Wikipost

No assignable seats in F but have reservation (or can still purchase a seat)? 752/772

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by denver19
Today, I bought a round trip, on the nonstop from Denver to OGG and back. It is a route I fly at least monthly. My corporate overlords allow purchase of 1st class, but none was available on the outbound. So I am in a E+ seat going to Maui, and in 1st on the redeye coming home. Expensive ticket by the way.

The hitch is there are no seats, first class or otherwise showing open on the night flight coming home. I don't have a seat assignment, and I asked the agent (I am 1K) about a seat assignment and she said "Just do it at the airport, because I cannot assign a seat". Travel is in about a week. First Class shows full, and so does the rest of the airplane.

So my question is this: Will I have a return seat? Will it be in first? Should I arrive about 5 hours prior to boarding on my way back? What are the thoughts of the road warriors that know.

I look forward to your insights,
Denver19
Assuming you're on the 752 (this route changes to the 772 on 3/31/2019), 4A & 4B will both open up within 24 hours of check-in (sometimes i've seen it happen earlier), and you'll be able to snag one of those seats.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA blocks 1A/B on the 772G, which I assume is your aircraft if you booked a flight with lie-flats. They should open for assignment somwhere around T-48.
Excellent. And yes, that is the aircraft. I was concerned because all seats show up as occupied rather than blocked in ExpertFlyer, but sounds like that’s just the way UA provides the data. Will report back after T-48!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I was concerned because all seats show up as occupied rather than blocked in ExpertFlyer, but sounds like that’s just the way UA provides the data. Will report back after T-48!
I believe EF actually shows a blank for those seats. On united.com they incorrectly show as occupied.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:34 am

I believe EF actually shows a blank for those seats. On united.com they incorrectly show as occupied.
Interesting. Just checking again right now, I see that they show as occupied on both united.com and also occupied on ExpertFlyer (at least for UA 1509)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Interesting. Just checking again right now, I see that they show as occupied on both united.com and also occupied on ExpertFlyer (at least for UA 1509)
No, they show as blank on EF. There are no 1A/B on the current seatmap for UA1509 on 12/26. The A/B seats start at row 2.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:01 am

No, they show as blank on EF. There are no 1A/B on the current seatmap for UA1509 on 12/26. The A/B seats start at row 2.

How strange! Yes, on my ExpertFlyer screen there is no seat 1A or seat 1B. The seats don't actually show at all -- not as if they are blocked, or without any status -- but as if the seats do not even exist (which is what I naturally concluded). Ok -- so I understand now that there are indeed seats 1A and 1B, but they have been erased from the seat map to which ExpertFlyer has access, and UA will add them back to the seat map at T-48. Thank you for the info -- would never have thought that.

And yes, I do see both seats on the UA website. How curious!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond

How strange! Yes, on my ExpertFlyer screen there is no seat 1A or seat 1B. The seats don't actually show at all -- not as if they are blocked, or without any status -- but as if the seats do not even exist (which is what I naturally concluded). Ok -- so I understand now that there are indeed seats 1A and 1B, but they have been erased from the seat map to which ExpertFlyer has access, and UA will add them back to the seat map at T-48. Thank you for the info -- would never have thought that.

If you set an EF alert for “any seat” you’ll be the first to know when those seats are added back to the seatmap.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

For whatever reason, seats that are blocked by UA due to crew rest or (lack of) frame assignment -- essentially those seats which can never have pax in them -- are pushed to the GDS as blank instead of blocked. They appear as occupied on the website (unless an entire row is missing in which case it is also deleted), but also blank on the app seatmap.

1AB will be unblocked at approximately midnight Central time on the third night before departure (T~60h). This is a sufficiently little known fact that being able to grab your favorite seat from the blocked pair shouldn't be too difficult.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Another data point that is should clear itself up. I was in a similar situation a year or so ago. Confirmed F but no seats. The phone agent said "don't worry, we never oversell F, you'll have a seat". While I chuckled to myself about the "never", I just waiting it out a a couple days before departure we had seat assignments.

Originally Posted by findark
For whatever reason, seats that are blocked by UA due to crew rest or (lack of) frame assignment -- essentially those seats which can never have pax in them -- are pushed to the GDS as blank instead of blocked. They appear as occupied on the website (unless an entire row is missing in which case it is also deleted), but also blank on the app seatmap.

1AB will be unblocked at approximately midnight Central time on the third night before departure (T~60h). This is a sufficiently little known fact that being able to grab your favorite seat from the blocked pair shouldn't be too difficult.
I've also experienced this same thing. 1AB were just missing from the seat map. After consulting the FT gurus (all of you) I had it confirmed that a) there is no configuration that lacks those seats, and b) they'll show up as the departure date nears. I watched it and sure enough they appeared and I was able to grab them.
ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 18, 2018 at 8:16 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by milepig
I watched it and sure enough they appeared and I was able to grab them.
And one further point, 1A is the better seat, as 1B sticks out into the aisle.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau
If you set an EF alert for “any seat” you’ll be the first to know when those seats are added back to the seatmap.
Yes, this was the first thing I did! Great minds…

Originally Posted by findark
Excellent. Thank you -- have just set a reminder to check at that time
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:04 am

Guten Morgen from Stuttgart! As you all predicted, I received an ExpertFlyer alert that seats 1A and 1B had been added to the available seat map, approximately 50 hours before departure. This would have been at about 2 am Central Time. So, considering whatever time period there is between ExpertFlyer sweeps, it certainly could have opened up around midnight Central Time, as someone indicated above.

Thank you for the advice and help! I have taken 1B so I don't have to climb over someone to get out… Though I understand it's more likely to get bumped by people passing by…

Best wishes for the holidays!
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent
Paid F but no seat assignment

Just booked 2 paid F seats EWR-EGE. Concerned as after I booked no seats were available to select. Likely overbooking scenario? What will be the outcome (other than setting up expertflyer alerts).
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
4AB are blocked and will unblock approximately 60 hours before departure. UA does not oversell the premium cabin under most circumstances.

Also, wow, UA is flying lie-flat 752s in EGE
mdtakamine likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYaway3x
Just booked 2 paid F seats EWR-EGE. Concerned as after I booked no seats were available to select. Likely overbooking scenario? What will be the outcome (other than setting up expertflyer alerts).
If your flight is on the 752, with lie-flat seats, two seats are reserved for assignment in advance; I believe they're 4A and 4B. You should be able to grab them when they open up; I think it happens a couple of days prior to departure.

UA generally doesn't overbook the premium cabin, although there are rare exceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.