Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No assignable seats in F but have reservation (or can still purchase a seat)? 752/772

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
16 premium cabin 752 -- for certain routes ( including Hawaii) seats 4AB will be blocked from seat assignment until check-in. So it is possible to hold a reservation or purchase tickets and not be able to get seat assignments until check-in. This is not an oversold situation but rather an artifact that plane is sometimes used for TATL routes and 4AB will be blocked for crew rest on those flights.
Print Wikipost

No assignable seats in F but have reservation (or can still purchase a seat)? 752/772

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Some Others

Today, I bought a round trip, on the nonstop from Denver to OGG and back. It is a route I fly at least monthly. My corporate overlords allow purchase of 1st class, but none was available on the outbound. So I am in a E+ seat going to Maui, and in 1st on the redeye coming home. Expensive ticket by the way.

The hitch is there are no seats, first class or otherwise showing open on the night flight coming home. I don't have a seat assignment, and I asked the agent (I am 1K) about a seat assignment and she said "Just do it at the airport, because I cannot assign a seat". Travel is in about a week. First Class shows full, and so does the rest of the airplane.

So my question is this: Will I have a return seat? Will it be in first? Should I arrive about 5 hours prior to boarding on my way back? What are the thoughts of the road warriors that know.

I look forward to your insights,
Denver19

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 16, 2015 at 4:17 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Have you checked on EF or similar for blocked seats?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

You have a ticket to...

The Twilight Zone.

Make sure to check in early, and get to the airport a little early and you'll almost certainly have a seat. Or you could always hope for IDB and score a big payoff.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You have a ticket to...

The Twilight Zone.

Make sure to check in early, and get to the airport a little early and you'll almost certainly have a seat. Or you could always hope for IDB and score a big payoff.
Somehow, this is not comforting... Is this seat, that is a paid first class ticket, going to be upfront on my redeye? Or in the middle seat, up against the lav in the back?

BTW, I will keep flyer talk posted as I move through this.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They sometimes block a seat or two. They will likely be released at checkin, and you'll get a seat at checkin.

As for your outbound, I'm surprised you went for E+ on a nonstop vs. a connection in F. That's a pretty good haul to be sitting in Y when you're allowed to buy F.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:34 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by channa
They sometimes block a seat or two. They will likely be released at checkin, and you'll get a seat at checkin.........
Yep.....usually 4A and 4B.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by denver19
Somehow, this is not comforting... Is this seat, that is a paid first class ticket, going to be upfront on my redeye? Or in the middle seat, up against the lav in the back?

BTW, I will keep flyer talk posted as I move through this.
Your first class ticket will give you either a first class seat or IDB comp. Almost certainly the former, as I doubt UA oversells F on a once a day flight like OGG-DEN.

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Yep.....usually 4A and 4B.
Indeed, pulling up EF shows 4A/B as missing on a random OGG-DEN. Odd they don't show as blocked, but either way, there you go.

Last edited by Boo_Radley; Mar 16, 2015 at 9:49 am
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Known first class seat glitch on two routes?

I am scheduled to fly EWR - DEN in FC. I am unable to pick a seat. When I called UA, they told me that it is not oversold but system has a glitch for first class seat assignments on EWR -DEN and EWR St. Thomas routes. They said senior management is aware of it.

Does this sound right? I got similar answer from multiple agents.

Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by denuaflier
I am scheduled to fly EWR - DEN in FC. I am unable to pick a seat. When I called UA, they told me that it is not oversold but system has a glitch for first class seat assignments on EWR -DEN and EWR St. Thomas routes. They said senior management is aware of it.

Does this sound right? I got similar answer from multiple agents.

Thanks.
It might BE right, but it certainly does not SOUND right.

Perhaps there is a pending aircraft change and seat selection is blocked due to that. I have seen that a couple times.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I believe the answer is four letters, UA IT.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: UA GS
Is this a 757-200 with 16 FC seats? If so, wait for seats 4A and 4B to free up sometime after 72 hours before departure.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Lots
Like LAXOGG said, the United system isn't smart enough to figure out that there is no crew rest block necessary on the internationally configured 752's that run on this route. You'll get one of 4A or 4B when the block goes away.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Ok so I bought STR-LHR-SFO-HNL in fully-flexible J for travel this coming December 26th and no seat assignment was available for the SFO-HNL leg. Bought this itinerary specifically to have flat beds for the entire itinerary (except for the STR-LHR leg obviously). EF shows J0 on the SFO-HNL leg. Hopefully I don't have to be worried about not getting a seat?

Or, because the ticket is fully flexible, should I cancel it and book another carrier or itinerary to be sure of having flat beds? Am supposed to attend a big family holiday dinner right when I arrive in HNL after 24 hours of travelling, so want to be as rested as possible
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Ok so I bought STR-LHR-SFO-HNL in fully-flexible J for travel this coming December 26th and no seat assignment was available for the SFO-HNL leg. Bought this itinerary specifically to have flat beds for the entire itinerary (except for the STR-LHR leg obviously). EF shows J0 on the SFO-HNL leg. Hopefully I don't have to be worried about not getting a seat?
UA blocks 1A/B on the 772G, which I assume is your aircraft if you booked a flight with lie-flats. They should open for assignment somwhere around T-48.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Ive run into this same issue on KOA-LAX/DEN a few timed where I buy F but can't get a seat. It does fix itself a few days prior to departure or departure day though. It seems that 2 F seats are blocked for assignment but it resolves itself beforr departure.

I've never seen F oversold out of Hawaii without any equipment change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.