Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2nd Drink Service - when full and when is water only? Ways to serve water cleanly?

2nd Drink Service - when full and when is water only? Ways to serve water cleanly?

Old Mar 14, 15, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

I am curious about something....what is the rule for having a 2nd drink service on domestic flights? When do we get a full drink service and when do we get just water? It seems the 2nd service does not happen as often on mid-cons?

Also, I am curious about the thoughts about what is the cleaner way of serving water.

Sometimes, the FAs will hold a stack of cups up-side-down in one hand and a bottle of water in another. Some FAs hold the cups with bare hands while others use the plastic wrapper of the cups to hold them. Then the passengers pull the cup on top and have water poured.

Then you also have FAs using those blue bins to hold the pre-poured cups. Those seem to be the same bins the FAs use to collect trash sometimes... Neither seems perfect. For you health experts out there, which one is cleaner?

Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 15, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by username View Post
I am curious about something....what is the rule for having a 2nd drink service on domestic flights? When do we get a full drink service and when do we get just water? It seems the 2nd service does not happen as often on mid-cons?

Also, I am curious about the thoughts about what is the cleaner way of serving water.

Sometimes, the FAs will hold a stack of cups up-side-down in one hand and a bottle of water in another. Some FAs hold the cups with bare hands while others use the plastic wrapper of the cups to hold them. Then the passengers pull the cup on top and have water poured.

Then you also have FAs using those blue bins to hold the pre-poured cups. Those seem to be the same bins the FAs use to collect trash sometimes... Neither seems perfect. For you health experts out there, which one is cleaner?

Thanks.
What's wrong with FA holding a stack of cups and passengers pulling the cup from the top? Just curious, do you ever get concerned about the how unsanitary the seats are?
Old Mar 15, 15, 4:05 am

Programs: 1k
There have been studies done regarding germs on commercial aircraft.
The planes have a high level of them everywhere.

I would actually be more worried about the cleanliness of the water itself then the transport.
Old Mar 21, 15, 1:22 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by username View Post

Thanks.
For health matters, I would be much more worried about the seat, cabin air, and what other passengers health status is then the water from the FAs.
Old Mar 21, 15, 3:14 pm

The cleanest way is bring your own bottle of water.
Old Mar 21, 15, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jetaway96 View Post
The cleanest way is bring your own bottle of water.
this
Old Mar 21, 15, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why worry about "rules" and "we"? I get a second drink service when I ask for one. That's what the call button or walking back to the galley is all about.

Search this Thread