Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club vs. Priority Pass

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Drawback? US airlines lounges are the worst worldwide, period. Even the KWI contract lounge blows away any UA club....
I was speaking of international. For example, in FRA (was not *G at the time) I had to exit passport control and security to go to the contract lounge. Did not have access to any LH lounges behind security/pp control. So you need to factor extra time into your equation for connections, etc.

Yes, Pearl Lounge in KWI is quite nice....(and was behind passport control)

Last edited by Cargojon; Mar 19, 2015 at 11:45 am Reason: fix typo on Kuwait airport code
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
This is not a "versus" situation, they sorta complement each other in my travels, with LAX (AS lounge) being a common US example.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
This is not a "versus" situation, they sorta complement each other in my travels, with LAX (AS lounge) being a common US example.
Good point. Now that I have PP as well as *Gold my options for lounges internationally is pretty ideal.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Madone59
Many PP clubs have nap or relaxation rooms. Correct me if I am wrong this not something you'll find at a UC.
But there are *Alliance lounges (seen them in Frankfurt, Shanghai, and Sydney) that do have sleeping rooms as well as quiet rooms.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
It really depends on what airports you will be in, and then what terminal(s) you will be using at those airports (lounge access usually isn't worth it if in another terminal where you have to go through security again to access it). Also, if you will be flying international business or first to those airports and have access through your tickets. Then work back from what lounges you want to use that your ticket will not get you into, and then figure out how to access those with this or that card or membership. (Love the Centurions - more please.)

For me, I have the UC credit card and PP Select through Amex Plat and that takes care of me pretty much anywhere I am going to be. And *A Gold helps out occasionally, too.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
PP has different levels of membership. Most of them will not yield UA Club access.
Not exactly. All three levels of the PP membership get you access to UA Clubs, its the one you get through Amex that has the UA Club limitation.

I got the full PP using Marriott points since I have plenty of those and I wouldnt be able to forgive myself for spending cash or miles on a UA Club.

The only difference from my domestic travel is when you check in at the front desk, instead of swiping your boarding card, they swipe the PP card. Occasionally, it wont read and they have to type it in.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
We regret to inform you that United Club lounges, one of our partners, have unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program, effective May 15th 2015....this does mean that our Members will no longer have access to United Club’s 49 lounges (41 located in 26 airports in the US and 8 at international locations)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mia
We regret to inform you that United Club lounges, one of our partners, have unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program, effective May 15th 2015
Wow, that's got to hurt anyone that went with PP specifically to get UC access.

Technically no refund is available, but I wonder if they will make an exception given how large a hit this is for some people.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
No difference for folks who have PP thru Amex Platinum, but can see that might be a bummer. At least the number of "The Club at XXX"s is growing, all that I can think of in places with UCs.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This does suck as options have just dwindled. Mind you, United is not my fave airline so in general not a huge loss and there are alternatives for Amex Plat/Priority Pass in the locations I frequent the most like Seattle, San Francisco and Laguardia.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Need
You could also get the Ritz Carlton card which gives you Lounge Club membership. And even if you don't like Lounge Club, the RC card will reimburse you up to $300 to use for any airport club membership you choose.
LC membership is fairly useless within the USA if you are flying UA or from UA hubs. However it does come with unlimited guests which is much better than PP if you travel often with family ($27/pp adds up fast). I find LC/PP to be most useful in CUN and SJD, hit or miss elsewhere.

Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
Did some searching and found a variety of older threads, but nothing that specifically helped.

I am MP Plat (*G) and a United Club member (paid, not through the Chase card). I have had my UC membership for many years. I fly domestically for work often (few times a month) and internationally (a few times a year). Work trips are always booked in coach.

For fun, I fly domestically and internationally. Lots of small weekend trips and a couple big international trips each year. I try to fly at least business (paid) for fun (assuming its not insanely expensive).

I find the convenience (and customer service desks) of the UCs good, but lacking in drinks, food, atmosphere, maintenance, etc. Some additional club choice would be nice. The UC membership is more expensive than the PP, but PP has a guest fee. However, most of my work travel, I am alone. So, I am not sure this would be that big of an issue. I guess I am willing to pay for guests for the few times I am with others.
Since most of your domestic travel is Y (and frequently on UA from DEN, no) I think your best option is to get a Chase card with UC access, rather than PC or its lesser variants like LC. While I, too, dislike the UCs and find them inferior to AA's AC, it is nice to be able to get a drink or snack and not worry about my bags running off. Unfortunately the alternative lounges are rarely convenient to United gates and nobody want to go thru TSA >1.

Another option if you use Chase is to get a JPM Palladium card which has a steep fee that includes both LC and UC (the latter is free but must be requested). A private banker may credit a % of the fee and there are other benefits.

For your overseas leisure trips, you will find that many C tickets include lounge access, so that will not be a problem for you.

Note: According to VFTW, PP cardholders will no longer have access to any UCs, as of May 15:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....om+the+Wing%29
Old May 2, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I had purchased my Priority Pass with my Marriott Points. When I called Marriott Rewards with the news that United Club was ending its agreement, and leaving all of my frequent ariports without coverage, they promptly refunded me my points. I am about half way through the year with Priority Pass and still have it to use in a select few airports. Makes me feel a little better about the change.

Anyone call PP to try to get their membership $$$ back from them yet? Curious of how PP is handling this.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by JC5280
I had purchased my Priority Pass with my Marriott Points. When I called Marriott Rewards with the news that United Club was ending its agreement, and leaving all of my frequent ariports without coverage, they promptly refunded me my points. I am about half way through the year with Priority Pass and still have it to use in a select few airports. Makes me feel a little better about the change.

Anyone call PP to try to get their membership $$$ back from them yet? Curious of how PP is handling this.
Yes, I called PP and they refused to refund the $319 I paid for their Prestige membership 5 months ago. They claim that there are many other lounges I can visit.

Truth of the matter is I fly exclusively domestic routes on UA, so my only options are United Clubs. What a huge waste of money this was. I can't even dispute the CC charge given it was more than 60 days ago. Now I'm spoiled and have gotten used to being able to access the UCs, but can't legitimize spending $525 for a UC membership.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Now I'm spoiled and have gotten used to being able to access the UCs . . . .
That's a sentiment you don't see expressed too often
Old May 24, 2015, 10:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
... Now I'm spoiled and have gotten used to being able to access the UCs, but can't legitimize spending $525 for a UC membership.
$395 as a part of the Chase MP Club card and usually can get the first year free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.