Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
How to book "Specialty Tickets"

Specialty tickets, on UAL.COM:

Certain specialty tickets (including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque tickets where the fare you paid is not provided to United) will earn award miles based on the flight distance and the purchased fare class...

...Premier members are eligible to earn Premier bonus award miles on specialty tickets, in addition to the miles shown in the table above, based upon the member's Premier status on the date of travel and the base miles earned.
In certain cases long distance but cheap airfares will earn more miles under the Specialty ticket earning structure (50% x Premier Bonus) than under the $ x [multiple] structure.
Ex. 1K traveling SFO - JFK on a $150 G fare. As a 1K this earns 2580 miles under the specialty rules, but only 1650 miles under the new rules.
How do we book specialty tickets? Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I'm surprised that so many of you agree with this mantra: United rewards only the people who spend the most right now. It's evident that not a lot of you are familiar with the service industry world where brand loyalty is important.
It's evident you have no understanding of the airline business, as it exists today, but now I can one more OPM whiner and one more IRS will tax miles to my ignore list
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JamesWC_NJ
For international fliers, it is disconcerting to see that the 'international surcharge' is not counted towards the PQD.

My Newark to Manila ticket is $1,196 fare plus $446 taxes (of which $326 is the international surcharge). The PQD calculated is $1,198.

United says the PQD should the fare plus any carrier-imposed surcharges. How does one definite 'international surcharge?' In the past, a carrier would argued the surcharge was to cover higher fuel costs or foreign expenses. Has anyone tried to reach out to United about this?
The 'international surcharge' is in fact included for PQD/RD purpses when flights post. The UA site was recently changed to display PQD/RDM earning information and it gets the calculation for these wrong by ignoring the 'international surcharge' in some/many instances.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ehplam
Some of you inferred that I am resting on my MM status laurels. Maybe - I only fly about 50k miles/year now. But isn't that worth something?
Of course it's worth something. Currently UA will award you 8 miles per dollar spent. The days of a Premier Executive 1MM lifetime flyer getting 100% miles and 100% bonus miles for their loyalty are gone. UA makes no secret of what you will accrue. If you don't think you're valued at that level, move on. Why didn't you leave when they reduced your bonus miles from 100% to 50%? Were you not impacted by that at the start of 2013? Why were you still loyal with that reduction? It's the single item that stopped my buying of paid tickets on UA metal. Is this the first time you've noticed your benefits have changed?

What if I switch all my business and that of my wife and kids to another airline?
UA won't even notice your gone. They're certainly not going to restore the benefits you held in prior years.

Is the short sightedness of chiseling a loyal customer worth the potential loss of the customers that I can influence? And the customer that I will become again (I'm at a price-conscious start-up now)?
The only thing that matters is the bottom line and you're not contributing to that when you buy an $800 fare to Hong Kong. If you buy the $2,500 ticket UA will give you the miles you once had and consider you a customer they value and award the miles you received before. You'll need to have that kind of spend for UA to value your loyalty.

Tom in Dublin, Ireland
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PQD only includes airline fees, so it is correct no taxes or external entity fees are included in PQD.
impossible to defintively answer without seeing the full fare construction, but looks about right. 85% is a typically PQD yield for a mid-price domestic economy ticket.
Thanks for the reply.

Airfare: $414.89
US Fed Tax: $31.11
US Flight Segment Tax: $16.00
Security: $11.20
US Pax: $16.50
Total: $489.70

So I believe $417 is correct for this ticket.

-Rob
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
United is looking to reward business that profits them. Consider you cheap 1k's fired your business is no longer needed.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jfk747
United is looking to reward business that profits them. Consider you cheap 1k's fired your business is no longer needed.
This is all about redistribution of wealth... cheap 1K's won't be fired... they / we will be the indentured servants that fill in the empty seats and provide a little bit of extra padding to UA's bottom line, and in return, UA will give them / us free checked bags, some upgrade certificates and upgrade priority on domestic flights. UA doesn't want to fire them / us.... they still need their / our revenue.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Well with 15,000 in pqd I was not referring to you . I was referring to folks who spend way less than that.A tier points system would solve all these dollar hassles as the status would be based on a combination of distance and fare class.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Well, one could say the big-money customers are just paying United's operating costs and the infrequent flyers are actually providing United's profits.

Since individual customers' ticket revenues really aren't assigned to profit or loss, all contribute.

Originally Posted by JamesWC_NJ
Weird...
I just checked my past trip Newark to/back Manila.
I paid $961.80. Fare was $405.00 plus $556.80 in taxes/fees.
The PQD for that trip came out to $853.00.
Not sure why it's weird...

The YQ (Int'l surcharge) is included in taxes/fees. In your case, the YQ looks to have been $448, leaving $108.80 in non-UA taxes/fees. $405+448=$853 PQDs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 11, 2015 at 11:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Consider you cheap 1k's fired your business is no longer needed.
The great thing about being fired is that you can rebound at a competing carrier. Does UA have a plan to fill all those seats with more high revenue flyers? How many flyers can they afford to lose before it impacts profits?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tom911
The great thing about being fired is that you can rebound at a competing carrier. Does UA have a plan to fill all those seats with more high revenue flyers? How many flyers can they afford to lose before it impacts profits?
I was on one mileage run flight to Bahrain that I was on in February. It had 13 people that I counted that got off and back on. (mileage runners). The flight was only 60% full, with First/business wide open on the return. It seems like without these 13 flyers (after March 1st), there has to be some impact to revenue. It seems like low cost 1K flyers provide some revenue over empty seats.

I flew to maintain status (platinum via chase) to protect the usage of all my RDM for future use. I am status matching to AA for future paid travel.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by easykristine
The flight was only 60% full, with First/business wide open on the return. It seems like without these 13 flyers (after March 1st), there has to be some impact to revenue. It seems like low cost 1K flyers provide some revenue over empty seats.
This is the part that folks always leave out of the argument about how the airline doesn't want or need your revenue. If the plane is going to fly with empty seats, they may as well have your revenue as once it takes off without the butt in seat, that revenue is gone forever. Secondly, the more full the flight gets, the higher the fare buckets get. The cheap fares fill you up 9 at a time until the higher fares.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:17 am
Suspended

As a mostly former United flyer I agree this is their policy now, but that is just one of MANY foolish decisions that now seem to run United Airlines.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by easykristine
I was on one mileage run flight to Bahrain that I was on in February. It had 13 people that I counted that got off and back on. (mileage runners). The flight was only 60% full, with First/business wide open on the return. It seems like without these 13 flyers (after March 1st), there has to be some impact to revenue. It seems like low cost 1K flyers provide some revenue over empty seats.

I flew to maintain status (platinum via chase) to protect the usage of all my RDM for future use. I am status matching to AA for future paid travel.
Counterpoint

UA is correctly looking at this as unneeded capacity. 10% of pax as MR is huge. They can eliminate one flight out of 10, and make MR unappealing, and thus make more money with people who actually need to travel and will pay more.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Counterpoint

UA is correctly looking at this as unneeded capacity. 10% of pax as MR is huge. They can eliminate one flight out of 10, and make MR unappealing, and thus make more money with people who actually need to travel and will pay more.
They can't cancel 10% of the cabin and they are for the most part selling daily flights. If they can't fill it with good revenue fares, then they fill it with whatever they can get ... including mileage burners. May as well have those miles redeemed for a seat that was going empty than one on a flight you can command high premiums for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.