Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: AADULtArer
The value of frequent flying is to frequently get where you need to go.

The old miles based system disproportionality favored long segment flyers. The new system rewards based on spend, like 99% of other reward programs

It's shocking it lasted as long as it did.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Curiousity
The math behind this is shameful. The value of frequent flying is almost gone.
Actually, I'd say your example proves the value of frequent flying is greater. It's the value of flying long distances that's decreased.

As you noted, short flights often get more RDM's under the new system than the old. Try looking up weekly round trips on a short hop like ORD-CVG.

Gone are the days of racking up 20k RDM's on a single $800 TATL flight while someone frequenly flying a mid-con for $800 only gets 7k RDM's each time.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
My problem is that on the new UA system and paying 4600 for a TPAC flight only would net a lowly 1k 50,600 miles. But by the AA system I am getting 63,000 miles. Even take away the extra 8000 double I got for promotion and I am still 5000 miles more on AA.

So I understand the problem with giving full miles for small dollar spend but why not base it on the fare code and not dollars spent. This would be a better way to do it and infact a lot of international carriers already do this. Even SQ doesn't give class bonus for discounted business.

My issue is with the United system they essentially doubles what it takes for a business/first class ticket on international *A carriers. Upped the amount for economy and all united metal. Then they took what I would have earned this year as miles and cut it in half. So for my travel habits a 75% reduction in value of the MP program.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Out of all of the flyer-unfriendly changes, I can't say that I can fault UA's logic for this one. They choose to reward their best customers, i.e. the ones who spend the most money. That makes mileage runs impractical, but let's be honest here, finding extremely cheap 20-segment round-trips within CONUS to get from gold to 1k was gaming the system a bit.

What I do have an issue with is them not including the ridiculously high international surcharge in the calculation for PQD and price-based RDM earnings. I recently flew ORD-LHR, and the fare was $192 round-trip. Of course, by the time taxes, fees and surcharges were piled on top of that, the ticket came out to $900. I can understand not getting miles for charges like say the 9/11 security fee, but come on.

As long as mileage redemption isn't based on price and they don't futz with the multipliers too much, I think I'm okay with this system.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
I thought you did get PQD credit for international surcharges?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
K,G fare classes...hmmm. Still amazes me that a change announced more than 9 months ago can cause so much anger- especially when they have told us what exactly to expect.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by itsMoe
... What I do have an issue with is them not including the ridiculously high international surcharge in the calculation for PQD and price-based RDM earnings. I recently flew ORD-LHR, and the fare was $192 round-trip. ...
My understanding is that the international surcharge should be included in PQD, since it's a carrier-imposed fee. I believe others have received award miles based on the fare, including the surcharge. I'd contact United and ask them what happened.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
just one more reason not to fly them internationally.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
New Mileage rules are a shocker...

Recent trip to Europe and back. 1 layover each way.
Trip out under old system: 8,056 mile earned (PQM)
Trip back under new system: 2,385 miles earned (PQD)

The math behind this is shameful. The value of frequent flying is almost gone.

The listed price for the short domestic flight was $248 PQD.
The International flight was listed at $50 PQD!!

So basically, I received more miles for the shorter flight... all purchased together on a single itinerary (and it was/is not itemized at time of purchase).

----------------
Trip to europe
before change: UA Express 3578-V class 2,251 (domestic)
before change: United 50-K class 5,805 (international)

Trip home to US
after change: United 18-K class 400 (international)
after change: United 210-G class 1,984 (domestic)
--------------

Is there any hope left for earning miles if the cost of cashing them in stays so high?
it's all about perspective.

for example, i fly LGA/EWR-IAD a lot. it's a couple hundred miles. i buy a lot of tickets within 2-3 days of departure for work. with the 1K bonus, even on a YB fare, i would only get 1500 RDM's when i spend anywhere between $500-1000 for that.

meanwhile a 1K spending $100 dollars on a tpac trip would net around 6000 RDM's.

now i actually feel like i'm getting rewarded for spending. even on trans-continental tickets, i do buy a lot of last minute tickets. so this new system has been netting me more RDM's than it used to.

and it's a complex environment with lots of variables, but if i was running a business and all other things were equal for arguments sake, why on earth would i reward someone spending fifty dollars disproportionally more than someone who spends five hundred? like seriously, these are businesses, plain and simple, not charities designed to give you free rides. it really is surprising to me that all carriers haven't done it. amtrak's been doing it for a long time and i always liked that system. hotels do it too. but nobody bats an eye there.

also. they flew you 4000 miles for 50 bucks. that's pretty crazy if you stop and think about it. as a collective, are we really complaining that they're not throwing in enough free stuff?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
it's all about perspective.

for example, i fly LGA/EWR-IAD a lot. it's a couple hundred miles. i buy a lot of tickets within 2-3 days of departure for work. with the 1K bonus, even on a YB fare, i would only get 1500 RDM's when i spend anywhere between $500-1000 for that.

meanwhile a 1K spending $100 dollars on a tpac trip would net around 6000 RDM's.

now i actually feel like i'm getting rewarded for spending. even on trans-continental tickets, i do buy a lot of last minute tickets. so this new system has been netting me more RDM's than it used to.

and it's a complex environment with lots of variables, but if i was running a business and all other things were equal for arguments sake, why on earth would i reward someone spending fifty dollars disproportionally more than someone who spends five hundred? like seriously, these are businesses, plain and simple, not charities designed to give you free rides. it really is surprising to me that all carriers haven't done it. amtrak's been doing it for a long time and i always liked that system. hotels do it too. but nobody bats an eye there.

also. they flew you 4000 miles for 50 bucks. that's pretty crazy if you stop and think about it. as a collective, are we really complaining that they're not throwing in enough free stuff?
^ my point
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Is there any hope left for earning miles if the cost of cashing them in stays so high?
Yes - there is lots of hope for earning miles, just not if you're paying rock bottom fares all the time. That you earned, what, about 30% of what you had in the past, shows you are probably on a pretty low fare/fare class. So yes, that's going to change things going forward. Those spending more will get the same/more miles, those spending less will get less. Just like it is for most other loyalty programs - based on spend. It will be tough for some, not so much for others. But can't say it doesn't make sense for UA - no reason why they should spend as much on rewards for those on MRs compared to those who are paying full fare.

I would ask why in the past those paying more, particularly for shorter, more expensive flights were getting less than those paying less for longer flights. For example, I'll win on my CVG - YYZ flights, which are typically about $400 - 550 round trip without taxes. But why should I get, say 25% of the "points" than someone flying a TCON for half the cost. Overall, I'll still probably be down a bit, by the way, probably around 20 - 25%, but have no problem with the new system.

Or why should those buying an M fare get the same as those on a G fare on the same route. That really never made sense - can you explain why it would (aside from the completely selfish reason that you want more miles - aka what you were getting before)? Obviously, we all want that if we can get it, but it doesn't really make sense.

What I do have an issue with is them not including the ridiculously high international surcharge in the calculation for PQD and price-based RDM earnings.
I agree that would be unfair. But can you show where that's happening. That's not how the system works or was ever designed to work - PQD and RDM earnings are based on the fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, including international surcharge. Yes, there's an IT bug where some itineraries are showing incorrect earning amounts. But those have been confirmed by UA Insider here as bugs and those with actual experience having miles post are having it done correctly, for the most part.

I don't doubt that many have legitimate issues with UA. I would personally say a false rumor on FT isn't one of them, but hey, to each their own.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Last I checked, they want you to spend more for your ticket or reward those who spend more on tickets - just saying.
There are ways to do both without being a jerk to customers, such as the bonuses for flying more expensive fares. Like what AA's doing. Just sayin'.@:-)

Out of all of the flyer-unfriendly changes, I can't say that I can fault UA's logic for this one. They choose to reward their best customers, i.e. the ones who spend the most money. That makes mileage runs impractical, but let's be honest here, finding extremely cheap 20-segment round-trips within CONUS to get from gold to 1k was gaming the system a bit.
The whole MR thing is a tired argument. In the vast majority of cases, MRs are for getting PQMs for status, not for racking up RDMs. If RDMs were the objective, one can often buy them outright much cheaper and without the time waste vs. flying somewhere.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes - there is lots of hope for earning miles, just not if you're paying rock bottom fares all the time. That you earned, what, about 30% of what you had in the past, shows you are probably on a pretty low fare/fare class. So yes, that's going to change things going forward. Those spending more will get the same/more miles, those spending less will get less. Just like it is for most other loyalty programs - based on spend. It will be tough for some, not so much for others. But can't say it doesn't make sense for UA - no reason why they should spend as much on rewards for those on MRs compared to those who are paying full fare.

I would ask why in the past those paying more, particularly for shorter, more expensive flights were getting less than those paying less for longer flights. For example, I'll win on my CVG - YYZ flights, which are typically about $400 - 550 round trip without taxes. But why should I get, say 25% of the "points" than someone flying a TCON for half the cost. Overall, I'll still probably be down a bit, by the way, probably around 20 - 25%, but have no problem with the new system.

Or why should those buying an M fare get the same as those on a G fare on the same route. That really never made sense - can you explain why it would (aside from the completely selfish reason that you want more miles - aka what you were getting before)? Obviously, we all want that if we can get it, but it doesn't really make sense.
Pretty simple - just have multipliers based on the fare bucket bought. Set W at 1.0x, V at 1.05x, S at .95x, etc.

I could buy the whole argument about rewarding spend if UA wasn't giving RDMs away like candy thru Chase. At the moment, UA is just a credit card company that just happens to offer transportation as well.

I think DL can get away with this scheme more because they actually provide decent service onboard. UA didn't improve anything - it just took stuff away.

Bottom line is that is just another nail in the coffin. If this had been the only change UA made over the last while, it would be one thing. However, this doesn't happen in a vacuum and with all the other cuts UA has made, the value proposition keeps dropping.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 20, 2015 at 10:27 am Reason: 3x merge
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
New Mileage rules are a shocker...
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So I guess the rule of thumb when adding the components up is anything with US or UK (in this case) in front of it does not count as "the fare", everything else is added together (I make it 781 too), ie. 323 + 458 = 781, and in this Platinum case times by 9 ? Is that safe to assume?
Yes, PQD = airfare + international surcharge (if any)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
My sales team is cleaning up on miles under the NWO. About 80% higher RDM redemptions. Mostly short domestic travel, one week advance fares
Exactly correct, either premium cabin on long haul or any short notice, regional runs will be the only benefactors of this program

What I do have an issue with is them not including the ridiculously high international surcharge in the calculation for PQD and price-based RDM earnings. I recently flew ORD-LHR, and the fare was $192 round-trip. Of course, by the time taxes, fees and surcharges were piled on top of that, the ticket came out to $900. I can understand not getting miles for charges like say the 9/11 security fee, but come on.

As long as mileage redemption isn't based on price and they don't futz with the multipliers too much, I think I'm okay with this system.
I disagree, there is a reason those silly cheap fares are out there and that is because they can not fill those planes at those times. This is not a treasure hunt where UA issues these fares and dares us to go find them, they issue them because any additional revenue on those planes helps them. There is now no motivation for people to jump on these for points

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 20, 2015 at 10:29 am Reason: Merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.