Unexpected Perk for 1Ks in Y

Old Mar 11, 15, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Unexpected Perk for 1Ks in Y

Not sure if this is a new directive, or I just got lucky with a stellar lead FA, but during my flight today (not disclosed to protect the innocent), after the F and Y service was completed, about 2/3 through the flight, the lead FA came back into coach with the flight manifest and went to each 1K (not a single upgrade of any kind cleared on this flight) and offered a cold beverage which she brought from the F galley in a proper glass.

For a moment I thought I was on AA. I am guessing this is the action of one "rogue" FA, but it would be nice to single on 1Ks in Y for a little extra inflight service.
Old Mar 11, 15, 8:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Don't know but it's a classy move ^
Old Mar 11, 15, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
My money is on rogue (aka awesome) flight attendance. Kudos to doing something nice for high elite passengers. Wish we saw more of this. But of course most people on here would complain if it was something expected and then didn't happen.

-RM
Old Mar 11, 15, 8:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I've had something like this happen maybe 2 or 3 times in the last few years. Always seemed to be a good FA. Once, on flight to CDG, I saw the purser list seat numbers of all 1ks in Y for the FAs staffing the drink cart, one of whom actually threw it away before starting the service..... Gotta love it!
Old Mar 11, 15, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
n=1 but stuck in a middle Y seat (still E+ thankfully) on a SDC'ed ORD-LGA flight this week and I ordered a 312 from the Lead Purser who was assisting with the cart.

I had my credit card out and when I went to hand it to him he pushed it away and said "Thank you for your business."
Old Mar 11, 15, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Nice that others are experiencing this random but greatly appreciated perk.
Old Mar 11, 15, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I hope it doesn't get the FA into trouble with management.
Old Mar 11, 15, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
pmUA used to do this not-infrequently. It was definitely a nice touch to be in Y and be offered a drink and (sometimes) a fresh cookie.
Old Mar 11, 15, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
had it happen to me also last year. it was on an A319/A320 coming back from MSP, so i think a pmUA crew. got 2 drinks, actually. very nice gesture.
Old Mar 11, 15, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Nice - but I suspect it was a rogue event. Had a similar experience on an international flight. The FA came back into economy and gave the few 1K members there amenity kits and thanked us for flying UA.
Old Mar 11, 15, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Saw it done with cookies recently. How nice of them to start this now that I'm not a 1K.
Old Mar 11, 15, 10:25 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
pmUA used to do this not-infrequently. It was definitely a nice touch to be in Y and be offered a drink and (sometimes) a fresh cookie.
This would happen to me with regularity on pmUA, after 2/12 I was told by a few pursers/FAs that they had been EXPRESSLY instructed to not do this any more.

Meanwhile, both AA (by policy) and DL (in EC and even if not, in practice) do this, and some of the time I have been in row 9 on VX, the FAs have comped me a drink, thanked me for my business.

Alas, I'm sure its just FAs trying to do their jobs, and they will be stoutly beaten about the head and eyes for their efforts....
Old Mar 11, 15, 10:43 pm

Maybe they were sent something....or I'm just getting my hopes up. I was seated in F though on my flight today, but I do know that the FA was extremely great and thanked me for being a 1K and if there is anything she could do to let her know. I mentioned I didn't want the meal, and she said how about a snack from back and came back with one of the purchase items she gave me for free.

In the EWR club, I was greeted, very oddly, by the dragon, but they were actually extremely nice. She thanked me for my 1K service and asked the follow up question, "is there anything else I can help you with today"....that question alone took me by surprise (which is sad I know!)
Old Mar 11, 15, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
Meanwhile, both AA (by policy) and DL (in EC and even if not, in practice) do this, and some of the time I have been in row 9 on VX, the FAs have comped me a drink, thanked me for my business.

Alas, I'm sure its just FAs trying to do their jobs, and they will be stoutly beaten about the head and eyes for their efforts....
We have learned since our status-match to AS that it's SOP for them, along with free use of their GoGo Video Player. What a nice gesture!

I'm not pushing a "grass-is-greener" theme but it's so easily done that there must be bottom-line business reasons UA doesn't. In our Million Miles Plus on UA we've found most FAs to be good to great, so the orders to cease and desist must be coming from the top.
Old Mar 11, 15, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
This would happen to me with regularity on pmUA, after 2/12 I was told by a few pursers/FAs that they had been EXPRESSLY instructed to not do this any more.
Counterpoint: I was in Y plenty of times as a 1K pre-merger on UA and I never, not even once, got so much as an extra free pack of pretzels.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: