Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected Perk for 1Ks in Y

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
Happened to me a few times

I've been treated this way a few times over the years- an FA from the front would come back and take a drink order. Once I was way back in 45C flying home FRA-SFO and the FA kneeled down and apologized about my SWU not clearing and offering me a drink from C, then she brought back a glass of wine, a few times I seem to recall.^

On the other hand, I was shocked on my recent return flight SYD-SFO when my GPU did not clear that the FA said I needed drink chits in Y on a 14 hour flight! And she never offered to cover it for me, even when I used one for my seatmate...

This has to be an FA-specific kind of behavior. Some of the intl. FA's these days make me feel like I am imposing on them for even being on the flight even though I am super courteous.

I remember being lectured in the galley years ago by an embittered FA that "If you high-paid executives would just pay full-fare in C we wouldn't be bearing all of these cost cuts, etc."

I am always grateful whenever I get a younger FA on a flight these days, I know they aren't infected with the bad attitudes some of their older counterparts have developed over the years.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by river_rower

On the other hand, I was shocked on my recent return flight SYD-SFO when my GPU did not clear that the FA said I needed drink chits in Y on a 14 hour flight! And she never offered to cover it for me, even when I used one for my seatmate...
Why would you be shocked when a FA was just following the rules? Coach pays for drinks, thats why you get chits. If they were free for 1K's why would you have chits? Another case of a FA does something nice once now it is an expected perk?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Baze
Why would you be shocked when a FA was just following the rules? Coach pays for drinks, thats why you get chits. If they were free for 1K's why would you have chits? Another case of a FA does something nice once now it is an expected perk?
I think this is a fair kind of complaining since it is an area where UA simply refuses to meet the competition (both in terms of top elites not getting free drinks/food in Y, and not giving free drinks on long-haul flights), and folks should complain until the complaints filter up.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I have had it happen from time to time, more often in the pre-merger days.

Post-merger it usually happens when I offer a chit and the F/A either says keep it and thanks for my business or they say hold on it it and they will collect it later. A couple of times, the F/A has taken the chit but gave me doubles for a single chit.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
I have had it happen from time to time, more often in the pre-merger days.

Post-merger it usually happens when I offer a chit and the F/A either says keep it and thanks for my business or they say hold on it it and they will collect it later. A couple of times, the F/A has taken the chit but gave me doubles for a single chit.
I expect to get a double, get to keep the chit, or both. IME, that's the modal FA behavior. And I am somewhat disappointed when things are done differently, even if the FA is just following the rules.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Good to see that from the FA's.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Just got off an ERJ145. FA took drink orders from all 1K's and served them before doing the regular drink service. I'm sure another one-off occurrence
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by StingWest
Nice gesture - but I'm surprised that they accepted it (and wonder if there's a rule against that)
Give them Starbucks or Outback/Carrabba's gift cards. They always accept them with gratitude.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by awu25
Just got off an ERJ145. FA took drink orders from all 1K's and served them before doing the regular drink service. I'm sure another one-off occurrence
I've had this happen a couple of times. It got a big ^ from me!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
ah the good old days!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not sure if this is a new directive, or I just got lucky with a stellar lead FA, but during my flight today (not disclosed to protect the innocent), after the F and Y service was completed, about 2/3 through the flight, the lead FA came back into coach with the flight manifest and went to each 1K (not a single upgrade of any kind cleared on this flight) and offered a cold beverage which she brought from the F galley in a proper glass.

For a moment I thought I was on AA. I am guessing this is the action of one "rogue" FA, but it would be nice to single on 1Ks in Y for a little extra inflight service.
Thanks for reminding me of one of the main reasons why I left UA.

Just an added data point - the offer was cold beverages (water, juice, soda, etc), not alcoholic drinks, so I can't imagine UA having a problem with this practice to make sure 1K glasses are filled in between cart service...unless they want to be spiteful.
Funny. So just giving you a beverage in a glass instead of plastic was enough to impress you?

How far United has fallen . . .
Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:49 pm

I've had a few unexpected perks in the last 6 months, these are the ones I can remember:

#1 - Towards the end of a flight from EWR->LHR I was presented with a Fast Track invitation for immigration and one of those collectable metal amenity kits from BusinessFirst. He also acknowledged my 1K status and thanked me for my continued business. A nice touch I thought as I was travelling in Economy.
#2 - On another EWR->LHR flight the Global Services rep came to say "hello" and I was given the BusinessFirst meal despite travelling in Economy.
#3 - On more than one occasion when travelling domestically in BusinessFirst the FA has come to me first to ask for my meal choice, I normally sit in 3B or thereabouts.
#4 - I've been upgraded twice to GlobalFirst from BusinessFirst at the gate, on both occasions I was only one of two in GlobalFirst.
#5 - On a flight from LHR->EWR I was upgraded to BusinessFirst at the gate and thanked for my business.
#6 - When checking into the United Club at LHR I was told I could use the GlobalFirst lounge instead.

The cherry on the cake was more recently when I discovered United Wifi on a flight from LHR->EWR! With the updated cabin service in domestic BF something is definitely changing at United - or I'm just lucky!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Thanks for reminding me of one of the main reasons why I left UA.
Funny. So just giving you a beverage in a glass instead of plastic was enough to impress you?

How far United has fallen . . .
No...what impressed me was the FC FA coming back into Y with the flight manifest and seeking out each 1K to greet them and ask if they would like a cold beverage which should brought from the FC galley in a glass - the other coach passengers needed to wait for the beverage cart service.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
No...what impressed me was the FC FA coming back into Y with the flight manifest and seeking out each 1K to greet them and ask if they would like a cold beverage which should brought from the FC galley in a glass - the other coach passengers needed to wait for the beverage cart service.
I was a 1K for 20-years until I finally threw my hands up and left for AA.

I have spent $112.00 on UA this year. And that one flight was delayed 3-1/2 hours.

All that said, when I look at what 1Ks used to receive, getting a soft drink first in a glass while in coach seems pretty darn minor. But I guess that is about the best UA can do these days for its 1Ks (and that effort was not even part of approved procedures).

Assume you are aware that Executive Platinums (1Ks) on AA are given a complimentary alcoholic beverage and BOB meal when they are stuck in coach (which doesn't happen often anyway)?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Assume you are aware that Executive Platinums (1Ks) on AA are given a complimentary alcoholic beverage and BOB meal when they are stuck in coach (which doesn't happen often anyway)?
I am very aware...and it's a great perk provided Parker doesn't get rid of it, but asking UA to do anything remotely like this would probably make Rainey's head explode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.