Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected Perk for 1Ks in Y

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just an added data point - the offer was cold beverages (water, juice, soda, etc), not alcoholic drinks, so I can't imagine UA having a problem with this practice to make sure 1K glasses are filled in between cart service...unless they want to be spiteful.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
a while back I was flying my first domestic redeye in years....and in coach on top of it. Bulkhead aisle at least. For some reason, they started drink service from the back....and the Purser came and asked me what I wanted....and I asked for a red wine.

I had a cert out for it, but when he came back with it from the F galley, it was an entire bottle with a glass. "I poured one glass before departure and everyone in F is sleeping now, so it shouldn't go to waste..."

Needless to say, best economy flight ever!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
The only recognition I've ever gotten like this had nothing to do with being 1K (although I was down to Plat for a couple of years). The first was I was lavishly treated in coach after an FA asked me to help him with his computer (I guess I looked young and nerdy?). He said he would have pulled me into business but it was full.

The second I was traveling with my partner and the FA immediately recognized us as "family". No charge for our requested booze. Although I suspect this might have had something to do with the first scenario too.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by JAaronT
The second I was traveling with my partner and the FA immediately recognized us as "family". No charge for our requested booze. Although I suspect this might have had something to do with the first scenario too.
I've experienced the, um, "family discount" not just on United, but Delta, American, Starbucks, etc. My frugal Minnesotan mother is constantly impressed when it happens
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:10 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I had this happen a year or two ago, FA came back to coach from 1st, was sitting in 7C and kneeled down beside me and asked me if I would like a drink. Also waiting at the gate at FLL and my name was called, went up to the agent and she handed me a envelope and said thank you for your business, inside was a card from UA thanking me for my 10 year 1K anniversary with UA.

Last edited by sfo; Mar 12, 2015 at 7:54 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Not sure if this is normal, but in January my upgrade from SFO to LHR didn't clear and the FA came back to Y to give me and a couple others a Fast Track pass for LHR immigration.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:56 pm

I do often get doubles when I use a chit for a drink in Y, but maybe that's just because I look like I need it....
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
A little bit of recognition to top-tiers in Y is such an inexpensive and easy perk to execute... doesn't even have to be a giveaway, although that would bring UA in line with its direct competitors. To be sure, lately I feel that there has been a change in strategy at UA, and I have been pleased with it (it's as if they realized that the endless pursuit of cuts caused the product to become so cheap and degraded that it was actually costing them business) but it still baffles me why UA seemingly can't get many of the simple things right.
I don't think there has been any change in strategy, I just think that they have been hit by so many defections of elites, and their NPS score is so bad, that someone has been able to make the case on a spread sheet for a few extra pennies being spent on the clubs/food. The link between poor product/service and people cancelling their club cards and not flying UA has become clear to even the folks in Willis Tower.

United will still be below the competition in every way in quality (the "savvy" hunter keay strategy) the goal is to spend as little $$$ as possible while making it slightly less obvious how far behind United is. But the strategy (monetize upgrades, cut elite benefits) while maintaining a sub-par OT performance ("diminishing returns above 80% OT" was how Jeff put it) and cut capacity remains the same.

CS gestures are looked at for their costs, not their benefits, and as long as people get tracked and punished (the flip side of Fly's "as long as its not too much" comment) few will stick their necks out. Its why people on this thread are so surprised to see even a single instance of this. Things like prohibiting agents from adding a "protection" leg to GS and 1K reservations in potential IRROPs (recent thread) are obviously crazy to anyone with any sense, but the impact of crazy policies causing losses in sales don't get added into spreadsheets.

p.s. I might add that United's "savvy" strategy is the same strategy that GM used for years. Don't make a great car, just make one has been cut enough in quality that you can undercut on price and still have a lower cost to make it (via cost cutting, sourcing) leading to higher profits on sales to your captive markets. Like United GM would try to adjust their "quality" when the gap became too great, but no one every aspired to excellence.

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
This is the lesson UA needs to learn but can't. That a nice gesture by a few individuals have made meaningful experiences for enough elite travelers to generate many responses here. The buck or two it costs for a glass of whatever and a customer friendly policy would go very far and cost very little. But clearly marketing and customer service are not covered in law school......
or at the second or third tier business schools where UAL execs went...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I've had something like this happen maybe 2 or 3 times in the last few years. Always seemed to be a good FA. Once, on flight to CDG, I saw the purser list seat numbers of all 1ks in Y for the FAs staffing the drink cart, one of whom actually threw it away before starting the service..... Gotta love it!
there are some GREAT FA's out there who understand and/or remember what customer service is all about^
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I was flying SFO-LAX a few years ago, in an exit row aisle seat. There most have been a lot of excess snack basket inventory, because he walked through the first few rows passing out snacks. The basket emptied out before he got to the exit rows.

A few minutes later, the FA walked back to my seat and apologized profusely for running out of snacks. I can't recall exactly what he said, but it was something along the lines of "If I had known we had a 1K back here, I would have come to you first" -- or some such to make it pretty evident that I was the only 1K in the back.

He offered me a free drink instead, and thanked me for being a 1K.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Funny... I've been a 1k a few times, including 2014, and never noticed any particular recognition in terms of FA service. Just another dope in E+.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
FWIW my first UA-flight this year after becoming 1K had a pleasant surprise as well. After reaching cruise altitude the purser came around and greeted all 1Ks personally with a bottle of sparkling wine, thanking everyone for their loyalty to United. I though this was a great gesture and made me kind of "proud" to be one of the most valuable customers on this flight. My companion was certainly impressed by this and said that this really makes a difference to other flights he has been on with other airlines, and that this sets apart United from the competition...

Sadly after that flight I have been in either Business or slept through the whole flight right after boarding when in Economy so I cannot judge whether this was an exceptional crew or in fact an improved Elite-treatment...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I've experienced the, um, "family discount" not just on United, but Delta, American, Starbucks, etc. My frugal Minnesotan mother is constantly impressed when it happens
I guess I am not up on terms. I guess "family discount" doesn't mean me and my husband and kids?

Back on topic. As a 1k I did have FAs not take my drink coupons when I asked for wine. Twice I had the coupon in my hand ready to surrender it and was told, it wasn't necessary. I presume it had something to do with being a 1k or being very polite and smiling!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by djohannw
FWIW my first UA-flight this year after becoming 1K had a pleasant surprise as well. After reaching cruise altitude the purser came around and greeted all 1Ks personally with a bottle of sparkling wine, thanking everyone for their loyalty to United. I though this was a great gesture and made me kind of "proud" to be one of the most valuable customers on this flight. My companion was certainly impressed by this and said that this really makes a difference to other flights he has been on with other airlines, and that this sets apart United from the competition...

Sadly after that flight I have been in either Business or slept through the whole flight right after boarding when in Economy so I cannot judge whether this was an exceptional crew or in fact an improved Elite-treatment...

Greetings - Dirk
You got a full bottle of sparkling wine? All 1Ks got that? We're you in F? Domestic or Intl? That's unheard of.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
^
Originally Posted by cruisr
I guess I am not up on terms. I guess "family discount" doesn't mean me and my husband and kids?
Only if you're a man. Otherwise it's a family discount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.