Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA FA said "don't eat it... I wouldn't even feed it to my dog" (the TPAC coach food)

UA FA said "don't eat it... I wouldn't even feed it to my dog" (the TPAC coach food)

Old Mar 9, 15, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

I flew from NRT back to the US. The flight attendant recognized me from the same flight that I took a month earlier.

I had my favourite exit aisle seat. During the meal service, she handed me my tray and whispered "don't eat it... I wouldn't even feed it to my dog!" Wouldn't it have been priceless if I captured that on my phone and uploaded it to YouTube?(well, probably not... don't want to get her in trouble) I wasn't sure how to respond to that, so I just nodded and said ok. She wasn't kidding, of course. It was just the same tasteless, scary-looking food that I had last month.

I was prepared, of course. I bought a big fancy-looking instant ramen bowl. I got up and walked to the galley next to me. Another flight attendant filled my ramen bowl with hot water. A couple of minutes, I was slurping my ramen and enjoying it. Tasty!(wish I spoke Japanese so I could tell what flavor it was supposed to be ) A couple of guys around me stared with envy. One asked me "you got another one of those?" but I had to lie. I had another one in my carry one, but I was saving it for later.
Old Mar 9, 15, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, .7MM
Originally Posted by AppleApe View Post
One asked me "you got another one of those?" ...
Was s/he willing to pay for it or what? haha
Old Mar 9, 15, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool View Post
Was s/he willing to pay for it or what? haha
good point... if it was a she(and a hot one), I would have given it to her for free! unfortunately, it was a guy, but he did offer me $10. I actually bought it at the supermarket inside a Tokyo department store for about 500 yen.
Old Mar 9, 15, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
So it's true...

The average college student eats better than the average international passenger!
Old Mar 9, 15, 2:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
That is a great idea, OP... stashing a bowl or two of instant ramen into the carry-on for TPAC Y flights. Love it!
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott and SPG Platinum Premier Lifetime + Ambassador Charter, UA 1MM, UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
Even better idea...stash ramen in the carry on bag to resell onboard as a "bootleg" Buy-On-Board shop to desperately hungry fellow passengers.
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, .7MM
Eat and walk through the aisle. Everybody will ask you where you got that.
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
I remember my stomach didn't feel good at all after eating the Y food to NRT. I was in the ANA lounge restroom for a while. But then I filled up there. I remember on the connecting flight to GUM where I was CPUed and the only one in F, the FA actually came by and asked me how my meal was (that was a first). It was actually pretty good. I told her that and mentioned that the Y food to NRT was disgusting. She told me its because its frozen (and the F food is fresh) and she would never eat it the Y food.
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
I remember my stomach didn't feel good at all after eating the Y food to NRT. I was in the ANA lounge restroom for a while. But then I filled up there. I remember on the connecting flight to GUM where I was CPUed and the only one in F, the FA actually came by and asked me how my meal was (that was a first). It was actually pretty good. I told her that and mentioned that the Y food to NRT was disgusting. She told me its because its frozen (and the F food is fresh) and she would never eat it the Y food.
I'm an odd duck who doesn't mind Y food. But last time I went TPAC on ANA my wife, who is celiac, got some weird small platter of vegetables and an entire loaf of gluten-free bread for one meal. She appreciated the generous portion, but wasn't sure what to do with it all. We still joke about that one
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
So it's true...

The average college student eats better than the average international passenger!
I think the moral of this story was that the average American canine eats better than the average international passenger in UA's coach cabin.
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
I think the moral of this story was that the average American canine eats better than the average international passenger in UA's coach cabin.
and sometimes BF cabin .... pics in lets eat thread.
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Originally Posted by heraclitus View Post
I'm an odd duck who doesn't mind Y food. But last time I went TPAC on ANA my wife, who is celiac, got some weird small platter of vegetables and an entire loaf of gluten-free bread for one meal. She appreciated the generous portion, but wasn't sure what to do with it all. We still joke about that one
Actually, on the next few trips, I would basically just eat the roll, rice along with the mini-salad and/or fruit.
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:57 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 MM
Originally Posted by heraclitus View Post
That is a great idea, OP... stashing a bowl or two of instant ramen into the carry-on for TPAC Y flights. Love it!
Just be sure there is no MEAT product in the ramen or it will be confiscated by the sniffing dog handlers at customs.
Old Mar 9, 15, 4:34 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
I got food poisoning from a TATL flight (A flight attendant and another passenger were also sick). I complained and I got a form letter about the quality of the food and 5,000 miles. My point: I know the quality of the food is awful, but in the past I assumed it was at least safe. Guess that is no longer the case.

Now, I eat at the airport and bring protein bars on the plane with me.
Old Mar 9, 15, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
I don't have a dog, but my neighbor told me that she spends about $7 or $8 a day on dog food(canned and dry). I'm fairly certain that UA does NOT spend that much for int'l coach food. Even if they did, maybe only $1 or $2 goes to actual food itself.

Search this Thread