Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA FA said "don't eat it... I wouldn't even feed it to my dog" (the TPAC coach food)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA FA said "don't eat it... I wouldn't even feed it to my dog" (the TPAC coach food)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
What...another airline food thread ? Shocking....
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
You're right, because it's so bad and so many people are complaining about it, that no one else should say anything bad about it
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I do have to ask though, why are people still flying United when there are so many better options?
I've been asking myself that question for a while. Perhaps I just love being tortured and mistreated?

or I can be one of these people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8pxSfyKxL4

Last edited by AppleApe; Mar 9, 2015 at 8:36 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I'm an odd duck who doesn't mind Y food. But last time I went TPAC on ANA my wife, who is celiac, got some weird small platter of vegetables and an entire loaf of gluten-free bread for one meal. She appreciated the generous portion, but wasn't sure what to do with it all. We still joke about that one
Then I must be an odd duck too. As to the spare bread, perhaps there were hungry people aboard or at your destination?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
It's been so long since I've flown UA transpacific, but do they still have the ramen bowls in the snack area in F/J? I seem to recall them also being in the UC. In retrospect, I can't help but chuckle, cheap ramen in international F, wow. It's a great idea to bring some along, the good stuff that is. Having lived in Japan for two years, I still love the stuff four years after moving back. It never ceases to amaze me the flavours and mixes they can come up with.

Gotta love UA flight attendants, #dogfriendly
Those PMUA ramen bowls were long gone since the big Japan earthquake, they claimed to be the factory that made those ramen cups had been destroyed by the earthquake. (do a search on the PMUA forum)

Yes, those were available in certain RCC, if I remember I had seen them HKG RCC and IFL, also SFO IFL, and maybe even ORD IFL.

If you had actually flown other Asian carriers, it is not hard to find cheap ramen in international F and C, even the known top Asian carriers had and served those in F like SQ, BR, OZ, TG, etc. It is just those airlines served them in china bowls rather than in its original bowl. (JL do serve those Udon de Sky and Soba de Sky instant ramen in its original bowl as mid-flight snack in F and J as well)
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
I'm surprised anyone even eats the food offered in Y on long-haul US carriers. It's not just UA. They are all awful. I wouldn't even consider eating it. Stop at Subway on the way to the airport. Much much better.
Not so sure about that. Subway, IIRC, still uses a chemical in their bread that is the same ingredient in yoga mats. Last year in Y on UA INTL, stuck a plastic wrapped roll into my carry on to give to one of my children for emergency. 5 weeks later on the return, found that roll with no mold &looked the exact same. This is why I bring my own food on UA regardless of cabin.

+1 to channa's comment: I read OP post same way
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by heraclitus
That is a great idea, OP... stashing a bowl or two of instant ramen into the carry-on for TPAC Y flights. Love it! ^
Almost every airline lounges in Asia provide that, and if I am going to fly a long TPAC flight in Y no matter what airline it is even SQ, CX, or NH, I always put one or two in my bag as mid-flight snack, as even those airlines have huge cut back in food for Y class.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Almost every airline lounges in Asia provide that, and if I am going to fly a long TPAC flight in Y no matter what airline it is even SQ, CX, or NH, I always put one or two in my bag as mid-flight snack, as even those airlines have huge cut back in food for Y class.

They're tasty, but I try to avoid that much sodium while flying (where hydration is already an issue).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
They're tasty, but I try to avoid that much sodium while flying (where hydration is already an issue).
holy cow, I can't believe it... I just found out that someone sells that ramen on Amazon.com. $36 for 6 bowls.

http://www.amazon.com/Nissin-Japanes...V6E39HPMF5JGQE

Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by AppleApe
I don't have a dog, but my neighbor told me that she spends about $7 or $8 a day on dog food(canned and dry). I'm fairly certain that UA does NOT spend that much for int'l coach food. Even if they did, maybe only $1 or $2 goes to actual food itself.
Correct the $7 ans $8 is Int Business and International first receptively.Inc premium wines and the cost of printing the menu
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Let's face it, I don't think any of us fly to eat. If we can afford to fly, whether discount economy or full-fare F, I have never heard anyone on these forums claim their airplane meal was the best they had ever had in their lives. I could be wrong, but for most people a good meal comes in a building with a foundation into the ground.

As for the FA claiming she wouldn't feed it to her dog, it's a pretty obvious statement. Many dogs have sensitive tummies. Dogs can't vocally revue a meal but will mostly wolf down whatever is put in front of them and consider it a treat. I wouldn't give my dog a Lean Cuisine, which is what many of these meals are similar to, albeit it lean.

Recipe for a good flight is to bring your own entertainment, the bigger the seat the better, a few glasses of water and champagne, and an ambien or klonopin or whatever, and your 12-16 hour flight feels more like a 4 hour memory that got you to your destination hopefully safely.

I still love to fly, I occasionally eat the first course on an international flight, but I have noticed the less I eat, the more water I drink, and something that can reduce by half my consciousness of any specific flight leaves me feeling relatively decent when I touch down after a JFK-SFO-NRT-SIN 30 hour special...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Not just another airline food thread but yet another UA food thread!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:35 pm

I've eaten many coach class meals. Dog food? Hardly. Just a another useless thread to rile up the usual antagonists. Move along, nothing of substance here.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 10, 2015 at 4:17 am Reason: masked profanity removed
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by adambrau
Let's face it, I don't think any of us fly to eat. If we can afford to fly, whether discount economy or full-fare F, I have never heard anyone on these forums claim their airplane meal was the best they had ever had in their lives. I could be wrong, but for most people a good meal comes in a building with a foundation into the ground.
l...
Perhaps, but the two fish dishes I had in EVA Royal Laurel came close to the best fish dinners I've had in any restaurant. Cooked to absolute perfection, moist, flavorful and garnished with wonderful complementary flavors.

Of course that's not UA, and I don't fly UA long haul in coach - that's why we have GPUs, and absent R class availability, we have EVA

I will say that sticking to the Japanese bento meal in UA J/F is the safest and more dependable approach. Flying Y eastbound? Fill up in the ANA lounge and buy some snacks in town or at the airport....just go to sleep after wheels up and eat the snacks as needed and before arrival.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
It's true, UA Y Food I wouldn't even let an animal eat it. It's not food!!!

Everytime I Fly UA Y, I always bring a cup of ramen and the FA's start laughing cause they know we're experienced. Than we always start chatting about food nightmares.

Thankfully that was at least 4 years ago since I've flown Y long-haul but still , food was garbage and I'm sure its worst today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.