Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA FA said "don't eat it... I wouldn't even feed it to my dog" (the TPAC coach food)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA FA said "don't eat it... I wouldn't even feed it to my dog" (the TPAC coach food)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
On my last United F flight to Asia, my vegetarian meal was not onboard. The flight attendant found a vegetarian pasta from coach. It was plated on first class wear and served. It was delicious.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:49 pm

I think the shocking part here is that an FA would basically tell a customer face-to-face "our product is crap". Doesn't exactly point to good labour relations.

(And Y food is meh but also tolerable if you spent any portion of your life around Soviet era canteens in Eastern Europe).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:54 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by AppleApe
I was prepared, of course. I bought a big fancy-looking instant ramen bowl. I got up and walked to the galley next to me. Another flight attendant filled my ramen bowl with hot water. A couple of minutes, I was slurping my ramen and enjoying it. Tasty!(wish I spoke Japanese so I could tell what flavor it was supposed to be ) A couple of guys around me stared with envy. One asked me "you got another one of those?" but I had to lie. I had another one in my carry one, but I was saving it for later.
It's a so obvious idea, but it never crossed my mind...
I think I'll start to carry some instant ramen for my next int'l trips! ^
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
It's been so long since I've flown UA transpacific, but do they still have the ramen bowls in the snack area in F/J? I seem to recall them also being in the UC. In retrospect, I can't help but chuckle, cheap ramen in international F, wow. It's a great idea to bring some along, the good stuff that is. Having lived in Japan for two years, I still love the stuff four years after moving back. It never ceases to amaze me the flavours and mixes they can come up with.

Gotta love UA flight attendants, #dogfriendly
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I think the shocking part here is that an FA would basically tell a customer face-to-face "our product is crap". Doesn't exactly point to good labour relations.
That has nothing to do with labor relations. She's just being honest. The food is crap.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Last time I flew UA, they had these private label "instant noodles" that tasted like styrofoam and was more bowl than noodle.

Nothing compared to JAL's instant noodles, or the noodle rack in your average combini.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:13 pm

I flew from NRT back to the US. The flight attendant recognized me from the same flight that I took a month earlier.

I had my favourite exit aisle seat. During the meal service, she handed me my tray and whispered "don't eat it... I wouldn't even feed it to my dog!" Wouldn't it have been priceless if I captured that on my phone and uploaded it to YouTube?(well, probably not... don't want to get her in trouble) I wasn't sure how to respond to that, so I just nodded and said ok. She wasn't kidding, of course. It was just the same tasteless, scary-looking food that I had last month.

I was prepared, of course. I bought a big fancy-looking instant ramen bowl. I got up and walked to the galley next to me. Another flight attendant filled my ramen bowl with hot water. A couple of minutes, I was slurping my ramen and enjoying it. Tasty!(wish I spoke Japanese so I could tell what flavor it was supposed to be ) A couple of guys around me stared with envy. One asked me "you got another one of those?" but I had to lie. I had another one in my carry one, but I was saving it for later.
Interesting you choose this flight as an example. I got terrible food poisoning SFO-NRT in Y many years ago, and since then, I've never eaten a meal in Y on UA again, and often avoid them in J as well.

This article claims the average cost of a meal in Y is $3.39 per passenger:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...n-airline-food

We know that this airline's culture is dominated by "cost cutting" as the primary corporate value, so it would be reasonable to consider that they may have food cost below average. And, the "cost" of a meal ($3.39 here) includes many things other than food (labor, transportation, packaging, profit margins, and so forth).

End of day, I wouldn't be surprised if the consumable portion of a "meal" ends up costing $1 to $1.50.

One can't expect real food at that price. I shudder to think of what that stuff must be made out of.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by channa
That has nothing to do with labor relations. She's just being honest. The food is crap.
Customer service staff are not meant to share their honest view of the product with the customer. Insulting your own product, true or not, is typically a blatant violation of workplace rules and if not actionable, it's at least something a manager should discuss with the staff member.

An employee who badmouths their own product is quite unlikely to be a happy, satisfied employee (after all, by doing so you help cutting off the branch you're sitting on) which points toward labour relations.

Just to clarify, in isolation it's not indicative of much really but there's a pattern of disgruntled UA staff IMO.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
On my last United F flight to Asia, my vegetarian meal was not onboard. The flight attendant found a vegetarian pasta from coach. It was plated on first class wear and served. It was delicious.
I had some kind of pesto pasta as a vegetarian meal in Y on a UA transatlantic a few years ago - it was genuinely one of the best pasta dishes I have ever eaten in my life (anywhere, not just on planes!).

But I'm generally easily pleased with airline meals anyway. The only time I haven't particularly enjoyed them is when Etihad served me rubbery green beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner (I think the lunch was literally just green beans and a roll, the other two meals were 3/4 green beans and something else).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Customer service staff are not meant to share their honest view of the product with the customer. Insulting your own product, true or not, is typically a blatant violation of workplace rules and if not actionable, it's at least something a manager should discuss with the staff member.

An employee who badmouths their own product is quite unlikely to be a happy, satisfied employee (after all, by doing so you help cutting off the branch you're sitting on) which points toward labour relations.

Just to clarify, in isolation it's not indicative of much really but there's a pattern of disgruntled UA staff IMO.

I think one has to look at the circumstances of this interaction. The OP flew with the FA a month prior, so the FA knows he's a FFer. Plus the FA said it discretely. And the food is indeed bad, so it was truthful.

If the FA had made such a comment over the PA, or randomly to various people, sure, that's an issue. But a discrete one-off to a valued, frequent customer, that's more honesty than disgruntlement, IMO.

I can think of a number of customer service interactions where, if recognized, I may get a more honest and direct opinion than a random customer (e.g., in a restaurant, if they recognize you and discretely the regular chef is out, stay away from the XYZ dish).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

well.. I usually agree with that. however, what if the food was really, really bad? should the flight attendant lie? isn't lying a much worse sin?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:23 pm

My neighborhood is full of people walking the streets with coolers of tamales, corn, and cotton candy for sale. Perhaps this is a good strategy for making back my airfare once on board!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I'm surprised anyone even eats the food offered in Y on long-haul US carriers. It's not just UA. They are all awful. I wouldn't even consider eating it. Stop at Subway on the way to the airport. Much much better.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:45 pm

well.. I usually agree with that. however, what if the food was really, really bad? should the flight attendant lie? isn't lying a much worse sin?
She presumably served that food to 200+ other people? Most of whom presumably ate it? If an ethical commitment to honesty was her driver, wouldn't she feel the same obligation toward all of them? I doubt she told all of them.

It's more likely that because she recognized you and thus you had more value to her than other people in the cabin, she let her guard down and made an - inappropriate - personal remark reflecting her views on the product.

Now you'd think given you're a FF, she'd try harder to secure your loyalty to UA rather than giving you a reason to choose a different carrier the next time around.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
It's not any better in J class. On a flight from NRT they ran out of the "shrimp" and noodles J dish, and I was offered chicken and noodles from F. It had to be the greasiest, blandest dried out glop I have ever been served. I felt sorry for the suckers in F who had paid extra to be served inedible garbage like that. That was almost 2 years ago, and I swore I would never fly United again, even if it was only a segment as was the case here, and not even on a reward ticket.

I do have to ask though, why are people still flying United when there are so many better options?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.