Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RJ (SEA-LAX) or Mainline with stop (SEA-SFO-LAX)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub

As a result of UA's timtable update, our mainline flight was replaced by an RJ flight (SEA - LAX in July). We are booked in F.
Being based in Europe, I am not too familiar with the RJs F cabin in a CRJ700. Is it realy as bad as sometimes described.
I would have to possibility to ask for a rebooking on mainline [A320s] (SEA - SFO - LAX).
As I understand space is very limited in the RJs, as well as window view. I also understand that there is no Inflight Entertainment or power outlets. What's about food? As it is an evening flight (6:30pm - 9:00pm) would be there a "proper" meal?

What's your advice? Stay on the RJ or choose mainline fleet and take to hassle to change in SFO?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 9, 2015 at 4:28 am Reason: routes added
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:32 am
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
"Proper" for an rj flight is landing safely! Good luck with anything else!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If time is not an issue, why not? You get to see another airport and SFO is very nice. The view can also be great.

Otherwise, it is not worth the extra time and risk of delays.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:19 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
There is no real meal served on either itinerary. There might be more space on the mainline aircraft but I don't think it's enough to merit changing planes.

You're more likely to find power and WiFi on the mainline aircraft but the flight from SEA to LAX is only 2 to 2.5 hours while adding the connection could stretch that to 4 or more.

If you want a view, sit on the left.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
For shorter flights, RJ F isn't notably worse than mainline F. I would absolutely not add a connection to avoid it.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
IF the weather is nice, you could get great views of the SFO area; however, I doubt if many FT veterans--at least those not from the SFO area--would ever recommend transitting SFO if it could be avoided. RJ 700 seats are fine for LAX-SEA, but neither of your AC options will fail to disappoint you as far as a "proper" meal goes, even in F.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Scottrick
There is no real meal served on either itinerary. There might be more space on the mainline aircraft but I don't think it's enough to merit changing planes.
Agreed

Originally Posted by Scottrick
You're more likely to find power and WiFi on the mainline aircraft
The entire CR7 fleet is expected to be fitted with wifi by July.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You are entitled to a refund due to the change in operating carrier, should you desire that.

I would look at all options -- United, Delta, Alaska, Virgin, etc. on that route -- as well as current fares on them, and see if refunding and rebuying may be in your best interest.

I would note that DL is an RJ as well, but there are more amenities on DL RJs, so it's closer to mainline than United RJs are.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I would pick the nonstop. You run the risk of weather issues at SFO if you connect, and fog/rain are fairly common there. I think the F seats in a CRJ700 are fine for a 2 1/2 hour flight. Under the new United Express meal guidelines you will probably get a cold meal (cold sandwich or salad, cookie) if your departure is during meal times. Otherwise there will be a snack basket of various things like fruit, chips, cookies, etc.

EDITED: I see now that your flight departs at 6:30 pm -- that would definitely get a meal under the new UX rules (see here for an example of what that might look like).

Last edited by jewels421; Mar 9, 2015 at 2:41 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
only one toilet for 76 people!

To me the biggest problem with the CR7 is not the seats or the lack of power or the lack of a 'meal', it's the fact that this plane has only one toilet for everyone on board. That means 76 people (counting pax and crew) have to rely on the one source of relief for 2.5 hours.

Don't expect to use the toilet if you're seated in the front cabin. It's located at the back of the Y cabin and crew often announce that for safety reasons only one person is allowed to wait outside the toilet at a time.

I've flown YVR-LAX on this aircraft, a slightly longer trip, and never got in to use the toilet. There was always someone else in line as Y pax have easier access to this toilet.

If you have an iron bladder then you're ok - otherwise, this feature would tilt in favor of rebooking.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
The CRJ700 used to be the only UA aircraft on which I would reserve a bulkhead seat in first, since the legroom used to be quite adequate. However, with UA's fairly recent reconfiguration of seats on the 700, the row 1 seats were moved noticeably closer to the bulkhead wall, at least 1A was, and legroom was no longer comfortable to me.

If you stay on the non-stop 700, I'd suggest you sit in row 2, if you are not already.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
For shorter flights, RJ F isn't notably worse than mainline F. I would absolutely not add a connection to avoid it.
This. I did a couple round trip LAX-SEA flights last year. Before they added the non-stop, I did SEA-SFO-LAX...biggest mistake ever. It's such a short flight, that adding a connection to chase status/UA was so not worth it. I would stick with the non-stop RJ or look at getting a refund and switching to Virgin F.

Originally Posted by channa
You are entitled to a refund due to the change in operating carrier, should you desire that.

I would look at all options -- United, Delta, Alaska, Virgin, etc. on that route -- as well as current fares on them, and see if refunding and rebuying may be in your best interest.

I would note that DL is an RJ as well, but there are more amenities on DL RJs, so it's closer to mainline than United RJs are.
Definitely look into pricing for Virgin, if I need to go back again that's what I'll be flying (I did SEA-LAX on Alaska in F but was very unimpressed).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
If it's an CRJ700, that's not so bad in the front cabin. It was running on a CRJ200 earlier in the year, which I took the connection through SFO instead.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:53 am
Suspended

Since it's a short flight, the CRJ-700 is fine. If we are talking almost transcon flights (like SFO-MSP) I would avoid the CRJ-700 at all costs.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
By July UA will have Gogo's ATG4 wifi system on the CR7 so that is equal or better to what Delta is offering. Delta is flying the 737-800 in the summer so the OP will get Delta Studio streaming IFE as an option.

UA will offer a meal on the flight, same as DL does. Though DL might have a hot meal on the 738 versus a cold meal on the UA CR7.

And if DL had a RJ on the route the differences would be even fewer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.