Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shaking things up at Willis Tower

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by fly18725
In an company the size of United, SVPs, and even VPs, operate with significant autonomy in running their business. I'm sure they have budget and business goals, but outside of periodic reporting, I don't think the CEO gets involved in the details. Smisek is a convenient scapegoat, but people overestimate the capability of a CEO to get involved in some of the things he's blamed for.
Post of the month. The CEOs job is not a Wikipedia entry, it's a directive from the BOD which is unknown to anyone here. I think we could safely assume a several year post merger plan was on that list, but the rest of it could be anything. First and foremost, of course, the CEO job is to get and keep the right team together.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Who said anything about Smisek? I wondered if the new SVPs will be empowered. That doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Smisek breaks cashews with a hammer personally...
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveman518
I feel like just throwing bodies and money at problems isn't going to necessarily make them go away...
Does Senior Management think United has any problems - especially the numbers are improving?

I had a talk with a long term sCO employee the other day. The feeling is that everything comes down to cutting cost - there is not that passion about flying anymore under Smisek.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
http://youtu.be/zzEiU2E1Qa8

Here is a video of her from one of the Continental DOs at Continental corporate office in Houston. This is just part of what she talked about. She went into great detail on many things. She was great. I was learned a lot and was impressed with what it takes to get catering done. She wanted to know what our experiences were with food service on our flights. She genuinely cares about how we felt and was serious about making sure catering was top notch.
Remember that CO DO very well. Looking to see if I was in the video, I must have been at a different session. I do recognize a few in the video.

Yes Sandra was nice and very professional. A good choice for the job.

I just wish we would see who is running MileagePlus these days.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Of course Jeff doesn't involve himself in the minutia of each department.

He does, however, set the strategy and culture of the organization. You can bet someone reaching VP/SVP at a United-sized company is an expert at reading the CEO and knowing how to match their department to what the CEO likes.

These folks are going to be all about ancillary revenue, (fake) efficiency, and "operation quality". You aren't going to get "loyalty to frequent flyers" and "operational excellence" initiatives out of them.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by goodeats21

He [Smisek] does, however, set the strategy and culture of the organization. You can bet someone reaching VP/SVP at a United-sized company is an expert at reading the CEO and knowing how to match their department to what the CEO likes.
So true about setting the Strategy and Culture. This is true of any organization, of any size.

We haven't, however, yet seen much evidence of the operational excellence that you mention.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Correct. I stated that "loyalty to frequent flyers" and "operational excellence" are not part of the United brand story anymore. The direction the CEO has set does not include these, so there is little chance these new executive leaders are going to make them a priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.