United.com award seat availability confusing

Old Mar 5, 15, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
United.com award seat availability confusing

I've been watching in the last couple of month a C seat, IAH-AMS for the end of April.
While it shows as available (green), there is no available seat when searching. Now I know that I can call in, but what's the point of showing availability on the website when really there is no...?
Old Mar 5, 15, 12:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rebech34 View Post
I've been watching in the last couple of month a C seat, IAH-AMS for the end of April.
While it shows as available (green), there is no available seat when searching. ....
Isn't green saver economy and either saver business or saver first, so while the or is an issue, it is what it is advertized as.
Old Mar 5, 15, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Isn't green saver economy and either saver business or saver first, so while the or is an issue, it is what it is advertized as.
It actually says: "Saver Award Economy & United First/ United Business". I believe it's not or...
Old Mar 5, 15, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
It actually says: "Saver Award Economy & United First/ United Business". I believe it's not or...
I checked. IAH-AMS in C is available. It is not the direct flight - but that's not how the calendar works.

Just book the one-stop flight, and call to waitlist on UA metal.
Old Mar 5, 15, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Green means that there is saver availability between IAH and AMS, through various combinations of flights including the nonstop option. However, it does not necessarily imply that the specific IAH-AMS nonstop flight is available. You will need to go into Advanced Search and specify "nonstop flights only" to get the result that you want.
Old Mar 5, 15, 1:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
It's definitely GF "or" BF, but that doesn't mean that it's always right. I've seen many cases in which it shows yellow, but when you look you can find GF or BF saver availability.
Old Mar 5, 15, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat
I noticed the same thing last week. The calendar display was showing availability but there was none on the list. I went to advanced search options all the way at the bottom and changed Show default number of flights to Show 50. Then when I went back there were flights. So now I always do this so that I'm sure I'm seeing everything available.
Old Mar 5, 15, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
IME it is "or" -- hence not clear when 3-class aircraft are available and includes all potential routings.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18723083-post1.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20675376-post17.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 15 at 2:00 pm Reason: links
Old Mar 5, 15, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dogloverjb View Post
I noticed the same thing last week. The calendar display was showing availability but there was none on the list. I went to advanced search options all the way at the bottom and changed Show default number of flights to Show 50. Then when I went back there were flights. So now I always do this so that I'm sure I'm seeing everything available.
Wow! You've nailed it! increasing options for "default" to 50 gave me the "hidden" options.

thank you!
Old Mar 6, 15, 3:43 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
IME it is "or" -- hence not clear when 3-class aircraft are available and includes all potential routings.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18723083-post1.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20675376-post17.html
Interesting! Weird since there are 2 other colors for Econ only or First only but I'll take your word for it.

As most of us know, the calendar is more of a guideline than a rule. You can often find low levels of saver space on white days.

The default number of flights to display (as well as expert mode) can be set in your preferences.
Old Mar 6, 15, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
Weird since there are 2 other colors for Econ only or First only
There is no option for First only. It's Business or First.
Old Mar 6, 15, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Wow! You've nailed it! increasing options for "default" to 50 gave me the "hidden" options.

thank you!
choosing 50 results often yielded better options for me when searching for purchased tickets... especially when looking for longer routes to earn more PQM's.
Old Mar 7, 15, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
There is no option for First only. It's Business or First.
That's not what I meant (obviously). "First" as used here encompasses "premium cabin." The "only" part means there is F/J and is not Y. Sorry for the confusion
Old Mar 7, 15, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
That's not what I meant (obviously).
I don't think it was obvious at all, since WineCountryUA's posts were perfectly accurate. The confusion comes from English not having a defined precedence of "and" vs. "or", but post #2 is as clear as you can get with the language.
Old Mar 7, 15, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I don't think it was obvious at all, since WineCountryUA's posts were perfectly accurate. The confusion comes from English not having a defined precedence of "and" vs. "or", but post #2 is as clear as you can get with the language.
Ahh. The price of being concise. It would have killed me to spell out GlobalFirst/BusinessFirst, especially on FT! Plus as you know, most domestic flights are 2 cabin so neither term applies (domestic first is just called First). So I should have properly said

Weird since there are 2 other colors for Econ only or [GlobalFirst and/or BusinessFirst for 3 cabin flights AND First for 2 cabin flights] only
Again, sorry for the confusion/ambiguity/strife I caused! I was hoping people would read between the lines

Search this Thread