Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Pre-discussions

New United Club menus to be "announced" 4 March 2015

United Clubs to be renovated

Confirmed Clubs with New Food Offerings:

All domestic clubs now confirmed with some version of the New Food Offerings. Full spread at all domestic hubs, with cut-down or hybrid versions at most outstation clubs.

International Clubs with different catering: GUM, HKG, MEX, LHR, NRT

Updates:

October 11, 2017: A new flavor coming to United Clubs
Print Wikipost

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
No attack made or intended, but I am curious why the comparison to the MLL is problematic. In fact, the MLL recently allowed frequent fliers, not just paid members and *G, access to the lounge - something UA does not do - without cutting back on F+B amenities.

I've always maintained the MLL was the minimum standard that United needed to match - but of course asking for, or even thinking United could match a SQ, BR, NH or LH lounge is just not logical.
Okay, fair enough.

The MLL comparison is inapt because (1) it's Canada, and (2) it has Rouge and with a horrifyingly bad FF program. UA is in America, and it's a better airline.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedfflyer
+1 The food and beverage options are great at HKG. There are showers available. While HKG might not have the updated look of the LHR Club, it provides all the same amenities.
Are they still serving Pepe Lopez tequila and Early Times bourbon? Along with Popov vodka these were two of my favorites available at the UC in HKG.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:35 pm

Compared to today's offerings, it's far from pathetic - add some green salad, and it would be even better.

I am concerned how the serving containers are laid out - not very hygienic, especially the bread appears to be open to the air and prime for finger touching. Should be in an enclosed container with tongs and the bowls should be covered.
How big an issue is this level of hygiene to people in general? I'm generally rather relaxed with it but with the widespread "we're too clean for our own good" mantra I'm curious as to how seriously others take it.

And wouldn't that apply to sealed packages anyway - on the assumption you would be touching the outside of the package with your bare fingers at some point!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Bring back free beer (not just the one choice of Coors Lite or Bud Lite etc.) and let us drink something other than an American Adjunct Lager, and I'll be more impressed than about some froo-froo vegetarian food.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
How big an issue is this level of hygiene to people in general? I'm generally rather relaxed with it but with the widespread "we're too clean for our own good" mantra I'm curious as to how seriously others take it.

And wouldn't that apply to sealed packages anyway - on the assumption you would be touching the outside of the package with your bare fingers at some point!
The cellophane wrapped apples and bananas (!) in the JFK and LAX (maybe others?) UCs really gets me.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
We're too clean for our own good. We need to learn to live without the false sense of security that prefect sanitation provides.

But ordinary food safety practices are probably a good idea.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

The issue isn't touching packages, it's touching the actual food you're going to put in your mouth - it's not only unhealthy, but just plain gross.

If I see the new UC start looking like the MLLs I've visited where people are sticking their bare fingers into chip bowls, olives, pickles, salad, cookies, even hummus, then we have a real hygiene problem that should be addressed.

All bowls/trays should be covered with cut-out openings for the spoon/serving, breads should be in covered boxes to keep from drying and with tongs for serving - at a minimum.

I agree wrapping fruit is a little over the top, but would you eat a cookie that some stranger touched with their bare hands? What if they just came from the toilet without washing their hands (I've noticed quite a few international customers doing this)? It's how norovirus and other nasty germs are spread.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I'm super pleased with these changes! It's still not quite MLL quality, but definitely a step in the right direction. I guess all of those feedback surveys I filled out where I highlighted how bad the clubs were ended up being useful after all.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:38 am

I have a question:
Flying FLL-DEN-FRA-HAM on a combination of United and Lufthansa. The tickets are in United First and Lufthansa First Class. Will I have access to the United Club at FLL and at DEN?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: UA Million Miler

The worst thing I saw -- I was approaching the food area and saw a boy (about 8 years old) touch every cookie in the display. He then took one. I decided to get some of the chocolate raisin things out of the gerbil dispenser. I also saw a woman touch every apple and then take one.

At least with the fruit, one can take a napkin and rub it clean or even take an apple to the restroom and use water on it. Can't do anything with open food
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:25 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
In fact, the MLL recently allowed frequent fliers, not just paid members and *G, access to the lounge - something UA does not do - without cutting back on F+B amenities.
I believe that - under the old tier structure - AC always let Elite and Super Elite passengers to access MLL. With the new structure you need to be at least 50K to have complimentary access guaranteed.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by JAaronT
The cellophane wrapped apples and bananas (!) in the JFK and LAX (maybe others?) UCs really gets me.
IAH too.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I get the hygiene thing, although I think we go a little overboard.

But I was just thinking of the LH Senator lounges, FRA is the one I've been to the most, and they have a nice food selection that's pretty much wide open, similar to what I saw at ORD yesterday. It never bothers me there. The one difference is that it's kept up well, always seems neat and clean, and the UC's don't. Not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but I don't think twice about eating at a LH lounge.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Okay, fair enough.

The MLL comparison is inapt because (1) it's Canada, and (2) it has Rouge and with a horrifyingly bad FF program. UA is in America, and it's a better airline.
I agree that Rouge (on the 319) is a disaster, and I refuse to fly Rouge unless in J, but Rouge is only on selected routes, and while AC is certainly no SQ, I have to say I would pretty much always pick AC over UA. I prefer AC over UA in Y domestically (UA has E+ but AC has AVOD and, in my opinion, better service). Domestically, I find AC J slightly better than UA J and internationally I find AC J way better than UA J ( and that's just the old pods. With the new J on the 787 it's even better than the 2-4-2/2-2-2 on UA). Of course everyone has their own opinion, this is simply mine, and of course you have yours!

Back on the topic of the improvements, I have to say, any improvement to the UA club offering is welcome. Maybe they could do more, but I am definitely not complaining about improvements. In fact, I'm grateful for them. Between the changes to the club and the improvement to the catering, both mainline and express, and the apparent upcoming improvement to Y, I think UA is really (FINALLY) starting to show some improvements and I am cautiously optimistic that maybe we have turned the corner on cutbacks and will finally see a decent offering on UA.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenSDQ
I have a question:
Flying FLL-DEN-FRA-HAM on a combination of United and Lufthansa. The tickets are in United First and Lufthansa First Class. Will I have access to the United Club at FLL and at DEN?
DEN, yes. This is the international gateway city on your itinerary.

FLL, not on the ticket alone. You need to be one of the following:
- Star Alliance Gold or United MileagePlus Premier Gold
- United Club member
- Chase MileagePlus Club (Visa) Card holder
- being a guest of the above (international itinerary is required for United MileagePlus Premier Gold member)
- using United Club one-time pass

See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2015-a.html

Last edited by Neil35; Mar 5, 2015 at 7:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.