Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a standard time for baggage to arrive at carousel?

Old Mar 3, 15, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT

Silly question maybe. Is there any guidelines per airport as to how long the average time is for bags to get to the carousel

Last edited by cruisr; Mar 3, 15 at 10:09 pm
Old Mar 4, 15, 12:05 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
Silly question maybe. Is there any guidelines per airport as to how long the average time is for bags to get to the carousel
I've never seen or heard of such a standard.

At my home airport, YVR, I've waited between 20 and 60 minutes for bags over the past 12 months. So there is no consistency, even at a single airport.
Old Mar 4, 15, 12:56 am

At EWR on certain days you could schedule dinner and a movie in between deplaning and receiving your bags. At SFO one time, I had my bags waiting for me 5 minutes after I deplaned. It's a crapshoot.
Old Mar 4, 15, 2:55 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Shorter wait at smaller airports; longer wait at larger airports. On average, 15-30 minutes from when the door opens.
Old Mar 4, 15, 3:33 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
2,500 miles or $50 voucher on AS if bags are not delivered within 20 min's. 2,500 miles on DL (same 20 min's for a limited time). UA, AA squat (at this time). DL is currently running a test and there is a reason for the test, which I will tell when it is over.

Happy travels.
Old Mar 4, 15, 6:18 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
2,500 miles or $50 voucher on AS if bags are not delivered within 20 min's. 2,500 miles on DL (same 20 min's for a limited time). UA, AA squat (at this time). DL is currently running a test and there is a reason for the test, which I will tell when it is over.

Happy travels.
United would be deeply in bankruptcy if it had to pay $50 for anything beyond 20 minutes esp at IAD.
Old Mar 4, 15, 8:27 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
I don't know that it's airport-related. For international arrivals at ORD, no matter how quickly I come off an AA flight, my bag is usually waiting for me when I get to the carousel. (I'm sometimes puzzled by how they do this.)

For a UA flight, even if I'm last off the plane, there will be a delay before the first bag arrives, let alone mine. Both airlines send bags to the same carousel area.
Old Mar 4, 15, 8:34 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere View Post
I don't know that it's airport-related. For international arrivals at ORD, no matter how quickly I come off an AA flight, my bag is usually waiting for me when I get to the carousel. (I'm sometimes puzzled by how they do this.)

For a UA flight, even if I'm last off the plane, there will be a delay before the first bag arrives, let alone mine. Both airlines send bags to the same carousel area.
This might be because all bags have to go to the same place (customs), and none need to be rerouted to other flights?
Old Mar 4, 15, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere View Post

That happened to me an hour ago. First off the JL flight to ORD, through Global Entry and my bag came out less than two minutes after I reached the belt. First bag off the flight.
Old Mar 4, 15, 8:50 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by maduarte View Post
This might be because all bags have to go to the same place (customs), and none need to be rerouted to other flights?
Of course that's why the bags are delivered to the same place. But that doesn't explain why it takes UA so much longer to get the bags out than AA. (Observations based on 3 AA and 4 UA int'l arrivals in 1 year.)
Old Mar 4, 15, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
UA takes longer to deliver bags, because it is UA.
Old Mar 4, 15, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Mileage Plus Silver Elite, United Club, HyattGold, Enterprise Silver
Premier bags are supposed to hit the carousel 14 minutes after blocking in at the gate. However, we all know that never happens. Unless you are in some of the small UAX stations where I have seen it happen.
Old Mar 4, 15, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I believe that the standard time for bag delivery is 10:32 AM
Old Mar 4, 15, 10:30 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by CALMSP View Post
Premier bags are supposed to hit the carousel 14 minutes after blocking in at the gate. However, we all know that never happens. Unless you are in some of the small UAX stations where I have seen it happen.
Where is that documented? Never seen it at IAH in 15+ years.
Old Mar 4, 15, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HGP Diamond, UA PP
Not on UA, (AS they do!). It will get even worse as they are outsourcing baggage handling at more airports. In DEN it got terrible.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...sues-at-denver

This is what happens when non-airline guys try to save a buck....passengers pay the price.

Search this Thread