FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is there a standard time for baggage to arrive at carousel? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1660215-there-standard-time-baggage-arrive-carousel.html)

cruisr Mar 3, 2015 8:57 pm

Is there a standard time for baggage to arrive at carousel?

Silly question maybe. Is there any guidelines per airport as to how long the average time is for bags to get to the carousel

transportprof Mar 3, 2015 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 24450320)
Silly question maybe. Is there any guidelines per airport as to how long the average time is for bags to get to the carousel

I've never seen or heard of such a standard.

At my home airport, YVR, I've waited between 20 and 60 minutes for bags over the past 12 months. So there is no consistency, even at a single airport.

scottpenderson Mar 3, 2015 11:56 pm

At EWR on certain days you could schedule dinner and a movie in between deplaning and receiving your bags. At SFO one time, I had my bags waiting for me 5 minutes after I deplaned. It's a crapshoot.

dayone Mar 4, 2015 1:55 am

Shorter wait at smaller airports; longer wait at larger airports. On average, 15-30 minutes from when the door opens.

kettle1 Mar 4, 2015 2:33 am

2,500 miles or $50 voucher on AS if bags are not delivered within 20 min's. 2,500 miles on DL (same 20 min's for a limited time). UA, AA squat (at this time). DL is currently running a test and there is a reason for the test, which I will tell when it is over.

Happy travels.

euslaner Mar 4, 2015 5:18 am

Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 24451271)
2,500 miles or $50 voucher on AS if bags are not delivered within 20 min's. 2,500 miles on DL (same 20 min's for a limited time). UA, AA squat (at this time). DL is currently running a test and there is a reason for the test, which I will tell when it is over.

Happy travels.

United would be deeply in bankruptcy if it had to pay $50 for anything beyond 20 minutes esp at IAD.

AlreadyThere Mar 4, 2015 7:27 am

I don't know that it's airport-related. For international arrivals at ORD, no matter how quickly I come off an AA flight, my bag is usually waiting for me when I get to the carousel. (I'm sometimes puzzled by how they do this.)

For a UA flight, even if I'm last off the plane, there will be a delay before the first bag arrives, let alone mine. Both airlines send bags to the same carousel area.

maduarte Mar 4, 2015 7:34 am

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere (Post 24452147)
I don't know that it's airport-related. For international arrivals at ORD, no matter how quickly I come off an AA flight, my bag is usually waiting for me when I get to the carousel. (I'm sometimes puzzled by how they do this.)

For a UA flight, even if I'm last off the plane, there will be a delay before the first bag arrives, let alone mine. Both airlines send bags to the same carousel area.

This might be because all bags have to go to the same place (customs), and none need to be rerouted to other flights?

txflyer77 Mar 4, 2015 7:47 am

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere (Post 24452147)

That happened to me an hour ago. First off the JL flight to ORD, through Global Entry and my bag came out less than two minutes after I reached the belt. First bag off the flight. ^

AlreadyThere Mar 4, 2015 7:50 am

Originally Posted by maduarte (Post 24452169)
This might be because all bags have to go to the same place (customs), and none need to be rerouted to other flights?

Of course that's why the bags are delivered to the same place. But that doesn't explain why it takes UA so much longer to get the bags out than AA. (Observations based on 3 AA and 4 UA int'l arrivals in 1 year.)

TonyBurr Mar 4, 2015 7:57 am

UA takes longer to deliver bags, because it is UA.

CALMSP Mar 4, 2015 9:05 am

Premier bags are supposed to hit the carousel 14 minutes after blocking in at the gate. However, we all know that never happens. Unless you are in some of the small UAX stations where I have seen it happen.

Soccerdad1995 Mar 4, 2015 9:20 am

I believe that the standard time for bag delivery is 10:32 AM

drowelf Mar 4, 2015 9:30 am

Originally Posted by CALMSP (Post 24452690)
Premier bags are supposed to hit the carousel 14 minutes after blocking in at the gate. However, we all know that never happens. Unless you are in some of the small UAX stations where I have seen it happen.

Where is that documented? Never seen it at IAH in 15+ years.

SkiCO Mar 4, 2015 12:37 pm

Not on UA, (AS they do!). It will get even worse as they are outsourcing baggage handling at more airports. In DEN it got terrible.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...sues-at-denver

This is what happens when non-airline guys try to save a buck....passengers pay the price.