Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Handling MileagePlus Points in a Divorce

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Handling MileagePlus Points in a Divorce

I hope I will be forgiven for posting this same message in three forums, but it has the same question yet the answer might be different depending on the airline.

As part of our divorce settlement, my soon-to-be ex-wife agreed to transfer her AA, US, and UA points to me. I warned her and her attorney that the transfer fees would be high, but apparently her attorney had already heard from her that I am the Stupidest Man Alive and they both ignored me and my suggestion of alternative ways of handling it. The divorce agreement requires her to transfer the points to me and to pay the transfer costs. There is no love lost between us, so I am not interested in being accommodating unless there's something in it for me. The number of points involved is about 40K UA and I think about 110K in each of US and AA. I presently have about 185K UA, 150K AA, 110K US, and 300K+ Chase Ultimate rewards.

My most common use for points is overseas premium cabin. So in this case, for example, 40K UA points would do me no good at all. The other programs might result in stray miles being available, or not having enough for what I want to use them for.

My wife's proposal is that we keep the points in her name and she will book flights for me when I want them. For reasons both too obvious and numerous to mention, I'm not interested in that. My original proposal, rejected (I think without sufficient thought) by her and her attorney, was that she change the passwords to the accounts and give them to me, and then promise not to try to reclaim them.

I'm looking for advice on the best way to handle this short of paying the transfer fees. One key question is, is there a way to top off existing accounts? I'd be much happier having 40K UA points if I could add (say) 30K from my Chase UR, book a 70K award, then discard the account. But I think Chase doesn't allow that if the accounts are registered in the same name - but then again, Amex never allowed that but people did it.

I'm sure there are ways to do small top-offs, like buying points, but given the cost of points that's only going to work for small top-offs.

I've had a few instances where I got whole accounts in trades, but these accounts had right around the mileage needed for a common award, and the anonymous internet personas who I will never meet nor have any real-life recourse against, are people I trust more than someone who once promised to love honor and cherish (while holding her fingers crossed behind her back).

I'm looking for advice on the best way to safely maximize the value of these accounts without going all the way to paying the transfer fees. Once I know that I can negotiate the best deal for me.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
The divorce agreement requires her to transfer the points to me and to pay the transfer costs.
Why not just follow the requirement in the divorce agreement?

I'm looking for advice on the best way to safely maximize the value of these accounts without going all the way to paying the transfer fees. Once I know that I can negotiate the best deal for me.
40k miles is worth <$1000... seems like you'll burn that quick enough in attorneys fees if you negotiate this much.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a no win situation. Your best bet is to figure out what you could get for the available miles, figure out how much it would cost to pay for the equivalent then just have her give you that amount of money and let her keep the miles.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Sorry to hear.

Long story short there's no other way.

You could possibly email the UA customer service team online and see if they can help. UA can make case by case exceptions like cancelling an partially used award ticket with partial miles returned based on fares for Medical reasons. My mom once flew out of China, took a stop over and didn't return. UA made the exception to refund my return trip miles though a stop-over was taken.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

My wife's proposal is that we keep the points in her name and she will book flights for me when I want them. For reasons both too obvious and numerous to mention, I'm not interested in that. My original proposal, rejected (I think without sufficient thought) by her and her attorney, was that she change the passwords to the accounts and give them to me, and then promise not to try to reclaim them.
Her proposal is impractical for the reasons you state. However, your proposal would violate Rule 6 of the MileagePlus Program Rules.

Rule 5 of the MileagePlus Program Rules: "No mileage, benefits, certificates or awards earned or granted under the Program may be transferred or assigned except as expressly permitted by United in writing or under programs fully authorized and/or sponsored by United."

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx

Best way, while following the rules, is to pay the fees to have the miles transferred from her account to your account.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Transfer them legitimately, make her pay the costs.

Your Chase UR points will transfer into your United MP account and you can, as you say, xfer 30K points for a 70K premium reward.

Anything else is just asking for trouble.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Sorry to hear about the situation. Best to stick with the original agreement than overthink it and have her pay for the transfer fee.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The cost of transferring them is just too high. My suggestion: First, do some good. Have your wife donate all of the miles to charity. The airlines will allow her to do that for free. Then get the appropriate valuation on the miles and you take the charitable deduction on your tax return. That way you get a little bit and you get to feel good about it.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
The cost of transferring them is just too high. My suggestion: First, do some good. Have your wife donate all of the miles to charity. The airlines will allow her to do that for free. Then get the appropriate valuation on the miles and you take the charitable deduction on your tax return. That way you get a little bit and you get to feel good about it.
Smartest post in this thread yet.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
....Then get the appropriate valuation on the miles and you take the charitable deduction on your tax return. .....
Many tax professions would recommend against this. Based on the thinking that miles are not owned by the individual, it is not your property.

United notes
Mileage donations are not tax deductible.
Note the Red Cross states on its website
For those Donating Air Travel
If you would like to donate your frequent flyer miles to the Red Cross, please contact your airline. The IRS recognizes the donation of airline miles or points as a gift from the airline to the charitable organization. Therefore, miles donated to the Red Cross are not considered tax-deductable by the individual donor. For further information, consult IRS Publication 526 and/or your personal tax advisor.
The reality is there is no definitive statement in IRS Pub 526 but there seems to be a lot suggesting this is a risky option -- consult your tax professional.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
petty cash in the bigger scheme of things.

graciously move on ... or trade for something else more easily swapped.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Divorce attorneys live for this stuff. Not worth the hassle. Buy merchandise of your choice with the miles and enjoy the stuff, keep the attorneys out

Never trust anyone who bills you for billing you.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
They're freaking miles. why they even came into the bargaining seems ridiculous to me. If you must feel like you got them, or something for them, research a low-end value/mile and have her give you some cash.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

A total of 260k miles at 1c/ea is (IMHO) $2600 -- and not more than that as it's split across three airlines. Two lawyers discussing it with each other and their clients cost $600/hr. The value of the miles will disappear pretty soon at that rate. If you must, just settle for some money — that the two of you discuss and agree to — and be dne with it. You'll be ahead of the game.

When clients argue over stuff like this the only winners are the lawyers.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Baze
This is a no win situation. Your best bet is to figure out what you could get for the available miles, figure out how much it would cost to pay for the equivalent then just have her give you that amount of money and let her keep the miles.
This. And then walk away from her as fast as you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.