Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How can I earn MP Miles while traveling in Australia?

Old Mar 2, 15, 11:36 am
Original Poster

I am trying to see if there is a way to earn MP miles while I am on a 2-3 year assignment in Australia. I will fly to the states occasionally and will do so on UA or Air New Zealand to get MP Miles. In Australia you basically fly Qantas or Virgin Australia. Virgin has a deal with Air New Zealand, but not *A from what I can tell. Trying to figure out if there is a way to accrue Air New Zealand credit and then transfer that to MP down the road, although it won't help for status. Other plan is to just forget about MP miles for intra-australia and try to get Virgin Status for my in country travel to make that more pleasant.

I will have MP 1MM lifetime Gold status in a few months sometime in 2015.

Thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
Old Mar 2, 15, 12:15 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Basically you don't, NZ points can't be transfer to UA.

Best option is to Join NZ/VA programme or fly Qantas an credit to AA
Old Mar 2, 15, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
Be careful about joining NZ Airpoints. I believe that their Oz partner (VA) doesn't credit much for VA domestic flights to NZ Airpoints -- a small amount of miles/points and NO status points. SQ's program is another program that's both Star Alliance and does, I believe, credit at least something for VA flights.

Search this Thread